Get 15% off all Sir Walter Scott snuffs.Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Toque dale. 15% off all Toque snuffs.

OT - Pitschio nut shell fuel

RoderickRoderick Member
edited March 2015 in The Pub (Off Topic)
Ok this might sound a little crazy but this evening, Saturday night relaxing in front of the TV with a glass of wine and a bag of pistachios, I tossed my pistachio nut shells into the fire. The heat that they produced was way hotter than the premium coal we were burning. I had to stand back from the fire due to that heat and yes I ate way more pistachio's than I should have.

We have a great band of highly intelligent snuffers on this forum and I wonder if anyone can tell me if this could be a new sustainable fuel? I have googled and know that Turkey as the largest grower of pistachios is looking to develop an eco city powered by pistachio shells but is this possible? And could it be bigger than this? After tonight I might be tempted to invest in this technology. I know this isn't my normal topic of conversation but I was truly amazed by the energy these shells gave off.

Comments

• Cherry pits also make for a great alternative fuel source .
    My knowledge is worthless if not shared and applied . "Joseph McKenna"  
  • miamimarkmiamimark Moderator
    "A" glass of wine... as in ONE?? :-)
  • Wow! I had no idea. Cherry pits are being used as alternative bio mass. What else is out there?
  • My father grew up in the great depression and they used corn cobs with coal.
  • In parts of the USA where corn is cheap some people use it as fuel in their pellet stoves.
  • I grew up on a farm in north central kansas, we had a wood burning furnace and used corn cobs along with cow chips to make the wood pile stretch all winter.
  • IvanIvan Member
    here in New Mexico USA there are pellet stoves that use pecan shells as an alternative fuel source.
  • Peach pits, olive stones, grape seeds. all nut shells.
  • Anything that has salt will also contribute to corrosion to your stove pipe. I don't know if brick or mortar is susceptible to harm from salts.
  • MarvinLapsusMarvinLapsus Member
    edited March 2015 PM
    Back in the old hamlet, here in Galicia, my grandpa used to burn ALL of the materials mentioned before for their power. Corncobs were used along with newspaper rags and dry hay to start the fire, upon which the lumber was set on a particular fashion. Then, whenever someone ate any kind of nut (chestnut, walnut, hazelnut, peanut or pistachio) or fruit, the remnants were thrown into the fire, that sparkled with joy. But, well, everything that caught fire was a possible object of such incineration, because it was the easiest way to dispose of undesirable waste that couldn't be used to nourish the soils.
  • When I was much younger . A friend of mine his father would have him wet newspapers and magazines to roll on a stick to make logs. the stick was longer and could stand them up to dry. The color print in the magazines made for a colorful fire. His father also made some great wine in those heavy 5 gallon glass water jugs. He had about 30 jugs. Some with 20+ years on them.