Get 15% off all Sir Walter Scott snuffs.Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Toque dale. 15% off all Toque snuffs.

The Gardening Thread

Comments

• Filled Two huge planting pots (4 feet tall and ~22 inches at top - Clay with a blue glaze on outside. Bought them last fall for $20
    Bargain!!! I wish I could find deals like that
  • Desided to transplant three blueberry plants that do not like to produce berry.
    To close to a big cedar tree. I may replant them out by the road as many people walk by.
    I know if they will produce the neighbor kids will pick them. I get plenty for my family from the other 14 that are in the yard.
  • No grass cutting for me today, kids are doing it for me!
    Trim limbs and having them burn them too.

Wow, feels like a pre fathers day!
  • Another busy day today. Laid a couple of flags as stepping stones into the back corner, spread more bark chippings all round the scabby area, finished off topping off the fruit tree planters with fabric and white pebbles, finished emptying the crappy strawberry planters of compost and disposed of them, deadheaded a few of the flowers, cleared up all the general crap (old netting, plant labels, plant pots etc), transferred some bulbs into a larger pot with perennials either side, weeded watered and fed, shuffled some pots and planters round to better suit this years scheme. One more day like today, and I should be set and ready for the year ahead
  • Planted the first two of what I intend to make an orchard of 6 Bartlett Pears. I don't eat a lot of pears, but I like pear trees, so maybe when they mature I'll see about making some kind of cider with them.
  • MouseMouse Member
    Hilled up the potatoes, mulched the onions and celery.
  • I'm expanding my large tobacco bed and it's pretty slow going. It's a holiday tomorrow so I hope to get it done by the end of the long weekend. This is traditionally the weekend we plant gardens in my area but the temperature is set to drop this week with a low of 2C Tuesday night. I'll hold off planting for a week or two.

@cpmcdill I have a buddy with a huge canning pear tree. I've made cider from it a couple of times and it makes a nice refreshing drink.
  • Nothing exciting today for me. I did give it all a few coats of looking at, but didn't really do much. I quite liked the fact that nothing was screaming out as needing doing immediately. I'm hoping for a simpler year from a maintenance perspective.
  • Had some good soaking rains the past day, after a stretch of a few weeks of almost nothing, and the peonies decided to all start blooming right away. Too hot and muggy to do much outside work though.
  • Picked more asparagus and just ate it. I here it is good for cancer sufferers. Went fishing and found a patch of stinging nettles the hard way ~X( I will go back with long pants and long shirt and gloves to harvest. Young nettles make good soup. Now I remember what it looks like, I will keep picking for tea and other uses.
    My knowledge is worthless if not shared and applied . "Joseph McKenna"  
  • Called in at a nursery on the way home from work, and picked up a geum, a phlox, and two platycodon (balloon flower). Potted these up before the showers started. Only two more vacant pots left requiring flowering residents now.
  • First flowers appeared on one of my Pea Plants. more chainsaw work and burning of the debri today until it started to rain.
  • MouseMouse Member
    planted pole beans, a first planting of bush beans, egg plants, parsley, weeded out about 500 volunteer kale plants, mowed the lawn, I love days off from work. Wife is out planting some orchids in the circular flower garden by the shop. Great day, all in all.
  • The tobacco bed expansion was more work than I thought it would be so I didn't quite get it done. The 34C humidex today didn't help matters! I'll have to pick away at it a bit every night after work to get them in the ground next weekend.
  • stogiestogie Member
    Planted red cabbage, broccoli, cilantro and potatoes. Dug up a bunch of thistles and dandelions.
  • I have a bunch of cannabis growing in my basement under high intensity discharge lighting. Had a indoor veggie garden for a couple years. Not much outdoor gardening but some flowers, and tobacco, deer eat just about everything. What they dont eat is ruined by adverse weather. However, my summer goal is to build a greenhouse. Its still snowing right now. We have a average of 29 frost free days where I currently live. I did grow up on the gulf coast where everything grew, and I grew everything.
  • Planted red cabbage, broccoli, cilantro and potatoes. Dug up a bunch of thistles and dandelions.
    Milk Thistle seeds are great for preventing acne in hormonal teens and menstruating woman, Roasted Dandelion root makes a good coffee alternative and detox for your liver you can add the leaves in a salad.
  • @Roderick was talking about tomato leaf snuff. Any success? Eggplant, I hear is high in nicotine.

Pull my first harvest of radishes they are yummy
  • Picked up a big healthy Black Tartarian cherry tree today, and will be going back for another tomorrow before planting them.

• A few random piccies from today

• 50ft_trad Looking great That weed free yard makes me envious.
    I was over the fence macheteing poison ivy vines on the neighbors trees some of them were two inches thick. Killed around 50+ I hope; they have air roots and I pray they wither before it rains. Cultivated the front garden with my weed whacker attachment and raked it smooth. Took the little tobacco plants outside for a few hours of sun to get them acclimated before planting. Dumped some coffee grounds around the strawberry plants
  • Dumped some coffee grounds around the strawberry plants
    What do the coffee grounds do for the strawberries? I've got several beds of them, and no shortage of grounds that are too heavily represented in my compost bin.

• stogiestogie Member
    Transplanted raspberries and garlic (both gifted to me) and potted up about 18 mixed annuals.
  • Strawberries are acid loving plants although coffee grounds are not so high to boost the PH levels ; Worms love them and they aerate the soil for you. grounds provide generous amounts of phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, and copper. I also read using epsom salts diluted and sprayed on plants produce larger fruits.
  • crullerscrullers Member
    edited May 2015 PM
    Another epsom salts trick: if you have seedlings in a seedling tray and the leaves have started to yellow, water with 1 tablespoon epsom salts to 1 gallon water. The yellowing indicates that the plant has drawn a lot of the nutrients out of the soil and the salts help to "free up" more nutrients to be consumed. Works for tobacco anyways.
  • Potential disaster tonight!!!! I went round blathering a few trees and other plants with insecticide, only to notice afterwards I have picked up the wrond bottle........ weedkiller :((

I got the hosepipe out and hosed everything down thoroughly. Now we wait [-O<
  • MouseMouse Member
    Oh, that's really unfortunate, 50ft_trad. If it was me I would throw the weed killer out just to get even (and avoid mixups in the future). Good luck with your plants. Don't give up, you can get some more if they don't fare well.
  • @50ft_trad - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Optimistically, I get the impression that weedkillers are targeted for certain types of plants. Spray it on a lawn, and the grass survives but not the chickweed, plantains, dandelions etc. Maybe trees are immune too. But hosing it all down is a good call - just in case.

Personally, I like a mixed lawn, as some of those weeds are good nitrogen fixers, and others attract pollinators. For garden beds, I either pull weeds or mulch around the desirable plants. I have found grasses to be more of a nuisance in beds than other things.
  • stogiestogie Member
    Good luck to you @50ft_trad!!!!!!!!

Today finished potting my first round of annual flowers. Planted my Masai Beans. Dug up a bushel or so of dandelions. Set the water and now a touch of relaxation.
  • Dig up vines by the root , cutting them at ground level isn't enough.
    My two Tulip Poplar have bloomed. The last pic is Pea flowers.
    I had two sprayers one white the other yellow. Insecticide on one and brush b gone in the other. Put them away clean two years ago the white one, the sprayer broke and the yellow one, the seal dry rotted; now I combine the parts for one good sprayer. I can see how you could grab the wrong bottle both of mine are the same shape and color both Ortho Products. I hope you caught it in time .