Get 15% off all Sir Walter Scott snuffs.Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Toque dale. 15% off all Toque snuffs.

The Gardening Thread

Comments

• Thanks guys. The weedkiller was used for other areas, namely on ashphalt areas, particularly around the base of the walls of the house, which is why I only need a spray bottle. Hopefully with it being spring, the rising sap will prevent too much damage to most of them, although the leaves on the Mirabelle de Nancy are already showing severe damage.
  • Sometimes procrastination pays off. They just issued a frost advisory for my area and I haven't managed to get my plants in the ground yet.
  • This year we didn't saw tobacco. Because of changed priorities near De Lelie. A sailing school took possesion of the karottenfabriek and the yard. We only can acces the mill.

Jaap Bes.
  • Will try acclamation of the baby rustic plants this morning before the sun starts to pound.
  • @nicmizer only 1/2 hr max first day they are fragile, increase 10 min daily I only put out a third of mine and they didn't survive two hours in the blazing sun.
    My knowledge is worthless if not shared and applied . "Joseph McKenna"  
  • MouseMouse Member
    Had a 50 lb. bag of spoiled potter's plaster (humidity got to it so it won't set). Turns out it is an ideal soil ammendment for compacted and clay soils, just calcium sulfate (gypsum). Adds calcium to the soil without changing the pH, so good for acid-loving plants like blueberries, azaleas, roses, etc. So spread it on the lawn and around the soil in the garden where tomatoes and peppers will go in. Tomatoes suffer blossom end rot if they don't get enough calcium, a problem I've been having in previous years.
  • @nicmizer only 1/2 hr max first day they are fragile, increase 10 min daily I only put out a third of mine and they didn't survive two hours in the blazing sun.
    If that. We are overcast and will not put in direct sunlight for a week or so. They are happy in the undirect skylight rays.
  • MouseMouse Member
    Marathon gardening day, Planted the tomatoes, peppers, summer squash, suyo long cucumbers, and some more parsley. Only one apricot set on my 3 year old Siberian apricot tree, but at least that will taste good, squirrels and birds willing.
  • Added some pony poo to the garden for moisture retention last night. wasn't up to doing anything today.
  • stogiestogie Member
    Expanded garden area by ~ 1 foot X 20', watered and weeded.... never ending joy.....
  • Finally got around to cleaning out the Winter deep litter in the henhouse, and that took all day. Was hoping to plant some trees.
  • Fingers crossed, I have now put in the last of the plants for this year. All pots now filled. The final plants were a deep crimson antirrhinum, mini kiwi (issai), two more platycodon, and a gaillardia. Doesn't sound much but it finishes it all off - assuming there's no further losses anywhere....
  • edited May 2015 PM
    Finally got around to cleaning out the Winter deep litter in the henhouse, and that took all day. Was hoping to plant some trees.
    That chicken shit is good fertilizer, I hope you wore a respirator and goggles. It is a hot fertilizer so it will need to be composted or you can make a tea with it.Using it straight will burn your plants

• That chicken shit is good fertilizer, I hope you wore a respirator and goggles. It is a hot fertilizer so it will need to be composted or you can make a tea with it.Using it straight will burn your plants
    Definitely going onto a compost heap. I have been building a couple small mountains of plant matter, lawn clippings, leaves from last Autumn, cedar shavings and chicken manure. I hope they compost nice and hot, so I can have some good material for raised beds by Fall.
  • stogiestogie Member
    Almost finished first of 2 raised planters ( 3.5 feet high by 27 inches wide and 5 feet long, bed is16 inches deep. Will be nice...

• That chicken shit is good fertilizer, I hope you wore a respirator and goggles. It is a hot fertilizer so it will need to be composted or you can make a tea with it.Using it straight will burn your plants

Definitely going onto a compost heap. I have been building a couple small mountains of plant matter, lawn clippings, leaves from last Autumn, cedar shavings and chicken manure. I hope they compost nice and hot, so I can have some good material for raised beds by Fall.
    Cedar is awful slow to decompose. you may want to add lime to your mix. cedar is also a natural herbicide some plants will not tolerate well.Keep the pile wet may help. I would avoid putting certain wood in compost, some are poisonous.
    Better yet, burn the cedar chips then add the ash.
  • My brother gave me his lawn sweeper when he moved. It worked great on my lawn tractor not so great with my zero turn machine. but I use my grass clipping around my garden plants as mulch to keep from weeding and retain soil moisture
  • My cigar tree [Catalpa] is blooming
  • MouseMouse Member
    You are so far ahead of us here on the Cape, our catalpa is just starting to leaf out.
  • Ran the weedwacker with the cultivator attachment ,tilled in peat moss,crushed lime and pony poo. put up 6ft. fence stakes and ran wires across and down for my string bean plants. Planted some hot pepper plants ,one super hot bubblegum pepper, Orange scotch bonnet, chocolate habanero and a cherry bomb pepper.
    My from seed pepper plants are too small to transplant as yet. Mulched the new plantings with lawn clipping. The sun has been blazing here and the grass just crumbles under foot. I Eightysixed the covering the garden with plastic idea. Expecting storms in the coming days. But I still may run a soaker hose just in case.

• Cedar is awful slow to decompose. you may want to add lime to your mix. cedar is also a natural herbicide some plants will not tolerate well.Keep the pile wet may help. I would avoid putting certain wood in compost, some are poisonous.
    Better yet, burn the cedar chips then add the ash.
    Actually I misspoke. The shavings are aspen. We don't use cedar shavings in the animal areas (though I do use it for deep storage of Winter clothes). Sometimes we use the "softwood" shavings from Petco, but mostly aspen.

• Today, planted another Bartlett Pear. I have another yet to plant, and will also be getting another variety, possibly Keiffer, to cross-pollinate. Still have two Black Tartarian cherries and 4 Forsythia to plant.

None of the garden centers I've visited in my area seem to have Colorado Blue Spruce or Norway Spruce, of which I need several, so I may have to travel further afield. Also need a few good fast-growing deciduous shade trees, like maybe a hybrid poplar.
  • Looked out the window and what did I see? a couple of birds fighting in the mulberry tree. Note to self, cover windshield from dirty birds. You definitely won't want to dry your linings on the clothesline.
  • Think I will plant some more radishes as they are growing good this spring and taste better then the store bought ones.
  • Planted acorn squash and butternut squash . I hope to get enough to last all winter.
  • Planted Hopi Rustica seeds again this year. Harvested two window sill grown cannabis plants (legal in Colorado) that are just mind blowing, lemon/lime scented. Also growing squash, hens and chicks poppies.
  • Planted 2 Black Tartarian cherries and another Bartlett Pear just in time for a good soaking rain. Got 6 Virginia Bright tobacco plants nearly ready to transplant to beds.
  • Spent much of the day mowing and watering things. No rain the past three weeks where I am, though I've heard other parts of the county have had rain as recently as last week. Bummer. The grass is getting brown.

• @cpmcdill big thunderstorm down here yesterday.

Whacking my weeds today. Got to make it look like my jerk neighbor missed a big spot in front of his house. Ah, the little things...
  • Managed to get about an hour of light drizzle yesterday, but it all seemed to evaporate immediately after, and the plants are more parched than ever. Looking at the long-term forecast at weather.com, the dry spell may be breaking in about another week.

On the bright side, the tomatoes are coming out terrifically. Last year it was overcast and rained too much at the time the tomatoes needed to ripen, and the fruits either split open or failed to ripen properly. Now, the conditions are ideal for the tomatoes (just need a little water every day), though less so for all the trees I planted this summer.