Black Friday All Week. Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Black Friday Sale On Now.

Cigar Rolling

HitsuzenHitsuzen Administrator, Moderator
Hey all! I'm thinking about taking up cigar rolling as a hobby. I have an idea which tobaccos I would like to blend, but for now was thinking of ordering a starter kit to practice with (before I spend a couple hundred dollars worth of tobacco before I end up with something smokeable). Any of you have experience with this? Tips, resources, things to avoid? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• HitsuzenHitsuzen Administrator, Moderator
    Oh, BTW, the kit I was looking at for getting started is the Azucarodo Oscuro kit at wholeleaftobacco.com
  • crullerscrullers Member
    edited August 2015 PM
    I've never tried it myself, but you should find lots of info here: fairtradetobacco.com/forums/98-How-to-roll-cigars

• @Hitsuzen - Seen it done iRL a good few times: I used to work in a very exclusive restaurant when I was studying back in the day and the 'cigar rolling man' was on the circuit of dinning entertainment. He used to use mostly the big flat bade thing [Chavetta] to do the whole thing. Looks like the kind thing that you could pick up relatively easily, but would take a long time to master esp. the more elaborate shapes like the perfecto's etc.

Let us all know how you go if you take the plunge! Sure would be a cool thing to be able to do - Good luck! :)

• I tried it back when I grew a lot of my own tobacco. never got beyond the 'Backwoods' rustic style, but they smoked good and were tasty. Best to aim low and gradually move the target up as you develop the skill. You learn more from your failures than you do from your successes.
  • HitsuzenHitsuzen Administrator, Moderator
    @MisterPaul yes I was planning on picking up a chavetta too. Only 20-30 bucks, not bad.

@Mouse I'm getting into it as a hobby, not trying to build a brand or anything, so I'm eager to take it slow. I'd like to be able to eventually roll a presentable stick eventually, though.

@crullers Thanks! Now I have another forum to join!