Black Friday All Week. Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Black Friday Sale On Now.

New Review Channel

HitsuzenHitsuzen Administrator, Moderator
I've decided to start a YouTube review/news/discussion channel focusing on Snuff and Cigars. If all goes well, I'll be launching this fall. Looking for suggestions from the community. Any thoughts? By the way, "Hitsuzen, everyone knows you're an a__hole, for the love of God don't do it" is a perfectly acceptable response B-)

Comments

• I love to have a youtube channel ,but I have the face only a mother could love. =)) I am sure you have Ideas. Just make sure you edit before posting and for Oden's sakes keep the music at low levels. A**holes make the best entertainers. Nothing be worse than Squidward doing a review so keep it lively.Best of luck! 
    You just don't represent yourself but the snuff community.Attraction rather than Promotion usually works. 
    My knowledge is worthless if not shared and applied . "Joseph McKenna"  
  • HitsuzenHitsuzen Administrator, Moderator
    @basement_shaman Nah, you have a lovely face! And yeah, I have some ideas. No music planned per se, but it may happen in passing from time to time. I'm mostly just bummed out that all of my favorite reviewers seem to have fallen off the face of the earth, NOW of all times, when it seems there's a new snuff coming out every week and artisans are coming out of the woodworks everywhere! As far as cigars, I plan on focusing more on the unsung heroes than anything else. Some of the best sticks I've smoked never made the CA 90+ club.
  • I'm looking forward to it!  I noticed the Youtube snuff reviewers haven't put up anything new since I started snuffing.  Way to step up!
  • Great idea !  can't wait for the launch  =D>
    @SeanOCDPx @perique Thanks guys! I'll keep you updated. Gonna wait until after the move, so looking like late October/early November. Unless I get inpatient.
  • Still planning on doing it Hitsuzen?
    @SeanOCDPx
    Yep! I already have the channel set up, my intro finished, and am writing my "welcome to our channel" video. Only thing I can't decide is what to review first!
  • Nice!  
  • cpmcdillcpmcdill Member
    edited October 2015 PM
    @Hitsuzen & others interested -- Music in videos is fine, as long as you've got the ability to use noise reduction software on the recorded voice to remove background sounds. Too much noise floor really distracts from a video. Music's great to open and close a video, and low-volume ambient music is okay in the background as long as there is no conflict. Radio DJs use a kind of compressor that makes sure that the music playing never competes with their spoken parts, so if you've got one of those, you'll have an easier time, though there are other tricks for dealing with that.

Another issue though, mostly relevant to Youtube. It has a bot that scans videos, and if it detects any music licensed to a major label (and even sources such as Library of Congress, believe it or not) that your account is known to not have paid royalties to, it turns off all audio in the film, BOOM, silent movie. Your best bet is to use work that has a Creative Commons license instead of an "All Rights Reserved" copyright.

I don't know if you're familiar with CC-licensed ambient music or not, but to make it easier, I own a netlabel with nearly 300 albums of CC-licensed music, ambient, drone, experimental and some oddball stuff, but you can use it on Youtube videos without getting shut down, and there's a lot of good stuff that won't crowd out your voice in a video. All free to download from archive.org. A lot of stuff to sift through, but it's highly respected sound art, and worth not getting your videos shut down. I'd be thrilled if it was used for tobacco reviews. webbedhandrecords.com or archive.org/details/webbed_hand

@cpmcdill I'm all too aware of licensing restrictions and such. For that reason, the only music I was planning on using was stock music provided by YouTube in their editing software, which I layed over a silly ten second clip of myself puffing on a cob outside of work, with an 8mm simulator effect applied to it, which is going to be my intro. I would have liked to use more music, but I don't steal and can't afford lawsuits. With your permission, I would LOVE to peruse your selection. Thank you very much for your generosity!
  • @Hitsuzen - you have my permission to use any of the music on the label.
    I don't know where most of my label's artists stand on tobacco use however, but you know I'm all for it, so the easiest approach is to start with my nearly 50 albums, recorded under various project names. The most "ambient" are from Djinnestan, Drone Wallah, Akashic Crow's Nest and Ice Guild Kaiser (all releases are linked from my discography page at cpmcdill.com) Attribution of artist/title/label is appreciated, and may go either in video end-credits or on the video's description on the Youtube page.
    There's a Webbed Hand Records Youtube channel if you want to do a quick browse of examples of music from the label https://www.youtube.com/user/webbedhand

Does anyone have any experience with YouTube? I have videos shot, tried to upload the opening title sequence as an experiment, and it's all glitchy. It plays fine on my phone and our laptop when I just play the file, plays fine on my phone when I open the YouTube link, but on my laptop the YouTube link plays all glitchy, skipping noticeably three times (in eleven seconds). So far I have tried using YouTubes stabilizer option, overriding the stabilizer option, converting the MP4 to an WMV and doing both with that. Nothing helping so far. Any ideas? The video can be found at

This will be the permanent channel location, BTW, so feel free to subscribe now. As soon as I have the glitch figured out, videos will start being uploaded.
  • smooth as silk on my chromebook
    @Mouse Huh. Okay. Maybe it's just our laptop. Finishing the first video up tonight. Still new to all the video editing stuff. Used a low quality recording of myself on the guitar as the opening theme. When the first video goes up, the intro sequence will be taken down. Anyone else see glitches?
  • No gitches on my mac.
    Relax, nothing is under control.
  • that's probably it, Hitsuzen. When I got this laptop with the i7 processor and lots of ram I was shocked at how slow my old netbook was.
    @Mouse @Mynheer @chefdaniel Okay cool, thanks guys. I'm going to take that down tonight, post my first video tonight or tomorrow afternoon (just an intro to the channel, shout out to the community kind of thing), and if all goes well my first video review will go up Friday. I'm torn on what to go with. I feel like the first review will be important. You guys vote, something new or something seasonal? When something finally goes up, I'll start a new thread on it in "Snufftaking" to announce it. Subscribe if you get a chance.
  • I think for the first video, maybe something completely classic with a lot of history.  Its your foundational first episode!  If not classic, then something new.  Whatever you do, it will be great.  But you asked!  :-)

Mark

P.S.  Ran smooth as glass on my 5 year old laptop.  No glitches.
  • I saw no glitches on that either.  Maybe one of your favorites or one without a lot of youtube reviews, or one that hasn't been reviewed much yet?  
    @markstinson @SeanOCDPx Okay, I think I know what I'll go with. It's both new and classic (a yearly reissue), seasonal, a current top five of mine, and doesn't have very many reviews (I've only found one, from 2013). And thanks for checking the title sequence on your devices. I'll chalk it up to my laptop and not the actual upload itself, and hope that if I post something glitchy in the future someone will bring it to my attention. Another question- anyone know anything about webcams? For the first video I used the camera on the laptop, which is pretty lagging, but I'll be looking around for something a little better. Any advice for webcam shopping? I don't need movie quality, just something workable that doesn't break the bank.
  • Sounds like you have a good plan.  :-)

I personally know nothing about webcams or the video cameras of today.  If I had a new camera, you'd probably find me still trying to stick a tape in it.

Mark
  • just about all digital cameras, from point and shoot on up, are capable of shooting video these days.
    @markstinson @Mouse Ok cool. Just a heads up, the quality on this first video will be crap. Improvements will occur promptly.
    @markstinson @Mouse Ok cool. Just a heads up, the quality on this first video will be crap. Improvements will occur promptly.
    First video up. Channel is officially launched. Please be kind, for I am but a humble tobacco geek B-)

@basement_shaman @perique @Mouse @markstinson @SeanOCDOx @Mynheer @chefdaniel @cpmcdill
  • Last night, I put a link to your channel on the Snuff Videos page of the Modern Snuff website.  I'll watch the video later tonight.  You inaugural video!  Good deal...

Mark 
    @markstinson Solid, thanks!
  • I see what you mean about the webcam on your computer lagging, but it didn't really affect my enjoyment of it.  You put your plans out on the table, you came across with some integrity, and I'm looking forward to the first review.

Mark
  • I'm looking forward to your first review. I like your plans for this channel.
    Relax, nothing is under control.