Finest Quality Indian Snuffs

Be prepared for an excursion where you do not know when you will be back!Toque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Be prepared for an excursion where you do not know when you will be back!

Pipe cleaning advice

OliverOliver Member
edited August 2015 in Other Forms of Tobacco
I started smoking a pipe today and i assume ill need to clean the bowl in a few days. Seeing as though i only have one pipe, what can i use instead of rubbing alcohol (that must dry a few days).

Thanks in advance for replies.

Comments

• chrischris Member
    edited August 2015 PM
    @Oliver  Your question is open to a whole range of answers depending on the type of pipe and the tobacco you are smoking. Pipe smokers also tend to have a large range of personal preferences for cleaning.

First off if it is a briar then you do need to build up cake in the bowl so there is absolutely no need for cleaning the bowl with alcohol. I would suggest that you rest it after smoking and allow it to cool down. Never remove the stem / mouthpiece of the pipe until the pipe has completely cooled or you risk damaging it. After that you can run a pipe cleaner through it.

If you have a cob or a meerschaum then those types do not need a cake so once again give it a chance to cool down and then give it a very gentle wipe round the inside of the bowl with a kitchen towel and run a pipe cleaner through the stem and shank.

I am no expert on either cobs or meerschaums but - as far as I know - you should never use any liquid in the bowls made of those materials and I would not recommend it with a briar bowl either.

I am sure that you will be receiving quite a few more suggestions. Good luck with your pipe smoking adventure.
  • I use mouthwash
    My knowledge is worthless if not shared and applied . "Joseph McKenna"  
  • I use rum
  • After cleaning airway / airhole with a pipe cleaner, I usually whipe the inside of the chamber once with a bent pipe cleaner to build a better cake. To clean the rim of the chamber of briar pipes you can use some spittle and some cloth. 

Some say it is best for a briar pipe to let it dry for a day befor using it again. I do that most of the time, but I never had any pobems when I did smoke the same pipe more than once a day.

Every six months I give my pipes a big cleaning. I clean the inside of the stem, the airway and the inside of the shank with a little alcohol. I use pipe cleaners which I dip into some alcohol. You can use whiskey or rum or pipe sweeteners. I use as many pipe cleaners as necessary untill they come out clean. Then I use one more, but without alcohol to dry the airway. Be careful not to spil alcohol on the bowl since it can scause stains.

Relax, nothing is under control.
  • Good advice above.

I just run a pipe cleaner through the stem after each smoke and as above I loop the cleaner and wipe the bowl out of any dottle. Alcohol evaporates rather quickly so as long as you don't soak the bowl you should be good.

I smoke the same pipe multiple times a day then let it rest a few days before using again, I never had a problem. Again like above, if you ask 5 people a question about their pipes you'll get 6 answers lol.

Good luck with your pipes and enjoy.