Finest Quality Indian Snuffs

Two new Fine Border snuffs.Toque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Two new Fine Border snuffs.

Snus Questions

I rarely use snus, but at times they seem appropriate. I am only familiar with General, though I did try a can of Thunder a while back. I know salt is an essential ingredient, but are any that don't taste so salty? How do I keep portions from hardening once I open a can? Can I just humidify them like other tobacco to keep them soft? Obviously a can isn't meant to last weeks after opening. I just don't use them often.

Comments

• Keep the can in the freezer in a zip-lock bag and pull out what you need as you go. This will keep them fresh longer. 

The Phantom Blue, Brown and Classic seem to have the least amount of salt.
  • Thanks, @Snifs. I usually keep a can in the refrigerator until it is open. I didn't think of putting it in a Ziploc in the freezer afterwards. I'll try it.

I'll look at Phantom now. I had not heard of it before. Is one plain/bergamot like General Classic?
  • PompeiusPompeius Member
    edited April 2016 PM
    I'd be careful with Phantom-- personally I haven't tried it, but I've heard it was a budget brand, so proceed with caution. Not sure about any brands with a lower salt (though General is pretty tolerable), I just acclimated to the salt in snus.
  • Phantom classics not bad. Not as good as general but i got 4 rolls or so vacume sealed in the freezer as back up. The saltiest snus i can think of is grov and the least salty would be anything that isnt classic or tobacco flavoured
  • Careful if you have a frost free freezer.
  • Thanks. Budget brands don't scare me off; I'll give Phantom an honest shot if I find them. I'll probably always find snus salty if I'm using them so seldom.

My freezer is frost-free. I usually use double Ziplocs for any tobacco product, so that should prevent dehydration over the weeks that I might have an open can in there.
  • I've got 30 or so cans in the freezer at the moment. Seems snuff has almost completely replaced snus in my life.
  • I find that my snus gets a little hard from being in the refrigerator, but once a portion is in my mouth for a couple of minutes, it softens up, so I really don't worry about it.  I don't like "drippy" snus anyway.
  • I had a log of home made snus in the freezer wrapped in seran wrap, even frozen it wouldn't get hard, just a little firmer. The whole ice crystal thing in the plant matter rupturing the cells might even make for a softer prilla too.
  • TobeTobe Member
    I felt the same way about snus being too damned salty, but I did acclimate after a week or so. Still, if you rarely use snus, you're probably better off just sending it to me since you're almost certainly never going to acclimate. In exchange, I'll send you a few dried out SG tapboxes containing a substance indistinguishable in the nose from sawdust.
  • Ha, I don't keep enough to be worth a few SG sneezeboxes.
  • TobeTobe Member
    Actually, I'll pass on the snus. I've figured out that the weird stomach pain I've been getting lately seems to follow my snus usage. And another one bites the dust.