Black Friday All Week. Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Black Friday Sale On Now.

When your taste in snuff goes inside out

HitsuzenHitsuzen Administrator, Moderator
So I've been at this for a couple years and some change, went through the prerequisite gotta-try-everything-once phase, and came out of it with a narrowed down range of snuffs I preferred. My taste in snuff pretty much paralleled my taste in pipe tobacco, which I have been at MUCH longer. Deep, rich, complex, and with only a handful of exceptions, NO FLAVORINGS.

I didn't mind SOME flavorings. Anything spicy was okay. Complex offerings from Old Mill or Sir Walter Scott's became beloved parts of my rotation, but by and large what I was carrying with me throughout my day was natural tobacco snuff. "Tobacco flavored tobacco", I would quip. And so it was for about a year... until I started Inna Pinch. People would request certain reviews, and I would throw them in my next order. I slowly started finding that I liked some of them a lot more than I would have in the past, and secretly loved having an excuse to branch out again. Still, there were two categories I stayed away from- menthol (because past experiences told me that menthol will always clog me up), and fruit (because, I'll admit it, I had gotten snobby, and felt that fruit snuffs were "childish"). Then a series of events totally rocked my world.

I got in on some free samples last year, along with a good number of others, of Dholakia Medicated No10 in a taste test panel. At the time, I admitted I liked it, but was weary of going down that path, so I never bought any when it came out, until someone requested a review, so into the cart it went. It instantly became a bedtime rotator, but that was about it. Not long after that, I ended up with some Toque Blueberry (it's a long story, and this post is already long winded, so if you're interested, I explain in the video), and really liked it. Then I was out of town visiting a cigar shop not too far from me, and they had some Silver Dollar Original, a heavily medicated SP. I would never have chosen it in an order, but while I was there, I figured why not, and it's been a daily since.

So all of that is to say that this summer I've been building an artillery of fruit and menthol snuffs for the summer- literally the antithesis of my tastes up to now, which leaves me to wonder... There are allot of newcomers here, but there are also allot of folks here who have been at this for decades. Is this radical of a shift in tastes to be expected over the years, it am I losing my mind? Anyone else have similar experiences? Thanks!

Comments

• I had got rebound congestion with menthol's on occasion then I found 6 Photo Black snuffs. My taste change faster then the weather. My tobacco habits change also. So I must have totally lost it.
     I use to be all about moist snuff and coarse grind snuff then just fine dry snuff. I also used to use ten or more different snuffs daily now I use two or three. I also found I can use menthol's without getting stopped up. And snuff that never clogged me now do.Go figure.
    My knowledge is worthless if not shared and applied . "Joseph McKenna"  
  • MarkMMarkM Member
    I change up my tobacco usage all the time, just as I don't eat the same meal day in and day out.  Some days I'll snuff nearly constantly, then goes two days without.  Some days I'll go through six bowls of pipe tobacco in a day, then not touch a pipe for a week.  Sometimes I like a strongly flavored snuff; other times only a high dry toast will do it for me.
  • The changes I have experienced haven't been as drastic. Menthol is something I will never use frequently as I am very sensitive to it. It burns, and not in a good way. I keep a couple of small tins for medicinal purposes in case of extreme congestion. Fine dry snuff don't work in my face, simple as that. There are some things I am very confident on not needing in my collection.

As to flavours, I have been more receptive to the florals lately. I've always had a soft spot for the likes of Princes Special and Ambassador, but now I can appreciate better the more vibrant F&Ts. I thought SG Black Coffee deserved a place in my collections before, but after revisiting it I found it a bit sickly and put it all in a blend. I put most of my recent changes down to stopping smoking. Other than that I have been fairly consistent with small seasonal changes
  • @Hitsuzen I watched your Blueberry vid, and I too have a handful of Toques I like, but aside from the Plain Coarse (which I use for mixes) and Berwick Brown, are probably the fun snuffs which you previously considered childish. You asked for suggestions of ones to try, so I thought I'd share which ones I'll aim to keep in the array.

The ones that really work for me are Blueberry (which I already had in todays line up), Vanilla, Toffee, and Pomegranate. These ones are the ones I use frequently as a change of pace, along with a number of WoS fun snuffs. Toques Coke is one I'll have a pinch of occasionally, but probably not one I'll replace. It's perfectly OK as a snuff, I just don't enjoy it as much as some of the others.

I haven't as yet tried any of Toques other berry flavours
  • @Hitsuzen, yah, hear ya. but if ther is only "One" snuff u get to carry and use, which do you choose..?
    for me an easy choice, it would be Samuel Gawith's Kendal Brown. 
    i do prefer a lil mentholated in the mornin's with the coffe wakey, GletscherPrise bein' one those faves..
    lotsa good snuff stuff out there and feel fortunate to be able to get some.. enjoy!!

1sweetbriar

" a cigarette is to be Smoked, as a cigar is to be Enjoyed as a Pipe is to be Savoured "

• HitsuzenHitsuzen Administrator, Moderator
    @50ft_trad Thanks. So far in my recent Toque exploration, I've liked Blueberry, Raspberry, Strawberry, and St. Clements. I picked SP Extra back up (though this one I've had and liked previously, just kind of forgot it existed), and tried USA W&H, which I really like, though I fear it's habit forming in a not cute kind of way. That said, if they made exactly the same snuff without the Rustica, it would be an every day, if not an all day for me. @1sweetbriar What would I carry all day? For a long time it was SG Blue Crest, but then they discontinued it. Second choices have been DkM Hollandse, DkM Ao1860, OM Ivory Toast, and Toque Natural, so I guess I'm still heavier on the "naturals".
  • HitsuzenHitsuzen Administrator, Moderator
    *Edit: I forgot to mention Toque Grapefruit. SO good.
  • jmahesjmahes Member
    @Hitsuzen, Toque Grapefruit is excellent. One of my fave Toques
  • Couldn't get along with the St Clements and SP Extra. The scents were OK, but both got me coughing everytime for some reason. Just that little bit too finely ground for my nose. I've actually thrown them both into a blend which will receive extra hydration in the snuffbox every time I top it up.

The weather here has been better over the last couple of days, and have found myself enjoying fruity snuffs even more. I have been having a good few pinches of Toque and WoS fruits, along with McC Raspberry, and GH Cherry, Dry Orange, and Strawberry. GH Wild Mint has seen a bit of use too, and is refreshing without being overbearing.
  • MarkMMarkM Member
    It's funny how tastes do change.  When I first tried Toque Almond Toast, I thought it was horrid.  Now I actually like it.  Next challenge is going to be Cheese and Bacon, which should be arriving in the mail soon.  The nice thing about snuff is that it's so cheap, if there's something you just can't stand you haven't wasted a big outlay of money.
  • @MarkM, I like cheese and bacon. Can't do it all day but it's pretty good!
    Doesn't smell funky but does actually resemble cheese and bacon :-)
  • marcomarco Member
    My snuff tastes so far reflect what i used to like in pipe tobacco--mostly English over aromatics--3 of my favs used to be MacBaren's Scottish and Mcllelland's Arcadia  and Dunhill 965...but also had a predilection for Erinmore. And there was the long gone best and [should have been for me] only cig ever: the 10 to a tin Balkan Sobranies. So far i have only used Toque. I like the natural toast, the USA whiskey and honey, lime but have a predilection for the rose, too. I like the ginger thus far--The fruit and other flavors like peach i liked but too fleeting for me. I am very interested in trying the Sir Walter Scotts.....
    PS do you folks prefer Toque natural or the natural toast. Differences?