Seneca Roll of 5. Only $9,99. Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Wish you the best for 2017.

Snuff and Nicotine

I have always wondered why snuff, at least in my experience, behaves differently than other forms of tobacco and routes of administration when it comes to delivery and effects from nicotine. When I first started taking snuff I had extensive experience with cigarettes, pipe tobacco, and all forms of chew/dip. All of those forms of tobacco seemed to work relatively the same way in that the more of it and the stronger it is the more I would experience a stimulant effect. This being anywhere on the spectrum from mildly alert to heart pounding sweaty hands knocking on deaths door lol. Snuff however, many of my first times taking it I found no effect from nicotine whatsoever. I tried stronger snuffs and I tried changing my snuffing technique. I tried first thing in the morning making sure I had no other forms of tobacco first. Nothing. It was not until I dropped other forms of tobacco completely and just kept snuffing that, all of a sudden, the nicotine began to work, REALLY work. Now, snuff is my exclusive means of using tobacco and obtaining nicotine and it works perfectly. I can fine tune the snuff to my current nicotine desires, snuffs for bringing me up to desired alertness, sniffs for maintaining that without over doing the accumulative nicotine dose, and ones that are purely for enjoying aromas without any significant effect from nicotine. What's even stranger is that there are many times where even a strong snuff, depending on my mood, will have a sedative effect rather than acting as a stimulant. And times where a snuff I knew to be mild to moderate on the nicotine scale achieves a full on rousing effect. I have dabbled in to the science of this and understand a bit about how nicotine addiction can be such that nicotine will act as both a depressant and stimulant depending on ones mood, but does anyone have any knowledge or a similar experience with how snuff seems to behave as such a nicotine chameleon if you will?

Comments

• I think that when you lower your nic. tolerance you can experience more pronounced effects from smaller doses. Do not forget that the nicotine is not the only one active substance in tobacco. There are also other compounds so called WTA - whole tobacco alkaloids.  
  • I believe you are right which is why i think sometimes that vapes are not effective for everybody as you are not getting those alkaloids on top of the nicotine. Lowering my nicotine tolerance is something I intentionally did when I transitioned early this year to snuff only. Before I was an avid pipe smoker and enjoyed chew more often that not at work as I work outdoors and with my hands. In transitioning to snuff I forced myself to go several days without tobacco before picking back up with snuff and I think that did wonders. Now I don't even worry too much about nicotine and just enjoy my snuff at whatever intervals are available or take my fancy during the day. I also feel like the lift from snuff is so much more clean and pure than the buzz derived from American dip and especially cigarettes although I primarily smoked supposedly organic additive free RYO when I used to smoke cigs. I do still miss the pipe tobacco, but for the health of my baby daughters who were born with minor lung issues I can not afford to be a source of smoke even if I didnt feel that pipe smoking was hurting me personally (looking back I am sure it was). I definitely notice a difference in the gym and on the hiking trail now that I have switched to snuff. It's funny how removing things even for a short time from your daily intake such as smoke and dip let you know exactly how much they were harming you.
  • Snuff is my all day every day.

But man, dip and snus are just tops. I think because that was my main way of enjoying tobacco for the longest is the reason I feel like that, smokers probably feel the same about cigarettes. I just snuff for harm reduction, even though it's great.

Hard to describe, snuff is like 90, where oral is like 100, but it's like anything great, we don't eat pizza or Chinese food all day every day because we know that isn't healthy. If you smoked a cigarette once in a while and enjoyed the hell out of it you'd be fine, it's the every 10 minutes thing that'll bury you. So snuff:)
  • Funny, these days, when I smoke a pipe, I often stop to take a pinch. It's like I'm not quite getting what I need from the pipe, although I enjoy its flavor and the experience of it. But doing it less and less at the moment, my cigar smoking mate has been off on an assignment in Tanzania, so no rooftop hangouts for the past few months.
  • As a former moderate smoker, I find that snuff affects me in a manner similar to that of a cigarette. Most particularly, snuffs like WE Garrett, give me an almost immediate nicotine rush. After 13 years of no cigs, I credit snuff with my success.
  • For me anyway, using snuff to quit cigarettes I didn't notice barely any effects from my first snuff McChystals O&G. Although after committing to snuffing after a few days I was getting head spins from McC's O&G. I summed this up to be because the cumulative effects of nicotine from snuff. I was smoking at least a cigarette an hour (rolling tobacco, Golden Virginia) and in the evenings sometimes 3, although after a few days of snuffing it seemed that I was getting much more nicotine into my bloodstream than the ciggies. Even though cigarettes gave me an initial nicotine buzz this went away after 10 minutes and felt like another one at the 20 to 30 minute mark. I managed to give up after slowly weaning over to snuff although by the end of this process a cigarette in the evening did barely anything for me.

I do have some Graphs on my computer somewhere, comparing the half life of Snus, Nasal Snuff, American chew and Cigarettes, which would back up my claims of the cumulative effects of snuff. I will try and upload these studies when I find them. I believe if you want to quit a separate tobacco product and replace it with snuff, it will take a few days for the vitamin N to reach peak plasma concentrations. The hardest part for me was trying to give up the last couple of cigarettes which I was still compelled to smoke even though they did nothing, I guess I was still caught up in the smoking cessation. Now happily just over 6 months smoke free (tobacco smoke) :P
  • PsickoPsicko Member
    edited October 2016 PM
    Congrats on quitting smoking Aamon and everyone else.
    Luckily I've never had a cigarette habit. I've been smoking a pipe and cigars since I was 18 though. I like the quick pick me up with snuff and I enjoy the scents.
  • For me it was a little different. I didnt feel any nicotine at all ftom any snuff. Thats why I never put nic content into my old snuff reviews. Somehow though, indian snuffs opened my nose to nicotine, and now I feel nic in most snuffs. Kinda funny actually; I took too much Dholakia, felt a lot of nic. Took a break from snuff...then went with some english snuffs and VOILA!!! (!!!!!!!!!!) I got nic from em. I think my nose needed some sort of kickstart to start absorbing nic tbh.
  • Same as @Rogue for me. Indians were the only ones at first to really satisfy my nicotine cravings without chain pinching every 5 minutes. But once I adjusted and started craving snuff over cigarettes, even something like Poschl would tide me over for a short while. Though it may be partially psycological.
  • It can take a while to tune in to the effects that snuff is having. Part of the initial inability to perceive it may be that you do not feel the associated symptoms of the stuff you're not getting - for instance, you don't get the effects of the carbon monoxide as there is no combustion, which can be associated with the nic hit from smoking. If people don't get the CO effects, they think they're not getting the nicotine until their system is recalibrated