10% off Copenhagen. Get them while they last. Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Buy two of the same Thunder and get a free Oliver Twist Black Tobacco Bits.

Dr. Grabow pipe age?

UbiquitousUbiquitous Member
edited October 2016 in Other Forms of Tobacco
So, I was just enjoying a bit of MacBaren Vanilla Creme in an old Grabow Crown Duke that was given to me a few years back. It has a Vulcanite stem with the Grabow spade on it. Google turned up nothing the last time I tried to look it up.

Does anyone know when Dr. Grabow pipes were switched off of the Vulcanite?

Comments

• CobguyCobguy Member
    edited October 2016 PM
    The Crown Duke line was started around 1964.  I also found no reference to the stem materials changing but did come across this page recently:

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Grabow_Models_(Series,Line)_Names_Through_the_Years

Hope it's of some help!  :)

Edit: I can't get the whole link to work so you'll need to just copy/paste it
  • @cobguy

That's a great article, thanks. it only tells me that the pipe was made after 1964 though. I was hoping to narrow it down a bit, but it's a start.

The pipe belonged to a guy I worked with a few years back. He gave me a collection of pipes, this one included. He said that he hadn't smoked in many years.

I actually have another Grabow in my collection with a Vulcanite stem as well. A bent Riviera. When I first acquired them I was dumbfounded. I have always known them to have those cheap ABS plastic stems.
  • Glad I could help a little.  I've got a few older ones ... Westbrook, Standard, Adjustomatic ... they have always been solid smokers and required very little care.  Good luck in your research!  
  • edited October 2016 PM
    Hi, You can find all the info you need  on Grabow Pipes here,I am a member there with user name TigerJack,      http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/index.php ; ;
    If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It!
  • @TigerJackshere

Thanks, I'll check that out.