Get 10% off all American dry snuffs. Limited time only. Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Get 20% off this exclusive hand crafted snuff. Do not miss out.

Daily Mail tweeks old Toque article. Yes Tweeks, not tweets.

RoderickRoderick Member
edited November 2016 in General

I thought I'd post this Daily Mail  article from 2008. It has been tweeked by someone and is a really good article on snuff. 

Lets hope they write another one about how the EU is about to kill snuff!

Snuff sales puff up as credit crunch and smoking ban take hold

Not to be sniffed at: Snuff sales are on the rise as the credit crunch and smoking ban hit homeThe centuries-old ancient habit of snorting snuff is experiencing a renaissance due to the credit crunch.Sales of traditional finely ground tobacco have rocketed at one firm by a staggering 78 per cent in the last year alone.Although the 2006 smoking ban led to an immediate rise in sales, the boom has continued as people turn to snuff because it is much cheaper than cigarettes.One 25 gramme pot of snuff can last a heavy smoker one week - at a cost of just 24 pence day and a saving of about 30 pounds a week.Young smokers are also taking it up as it now comes in various fruity flavours.Snuff is also not as harmful as cigarettes because it doesn't contain tar.Users sprinkle a small amount of the powdery-substance on the back of their hand before inhaling it through the nose.The effects get to work in just a few minutes and disperse cravings without having to stand outside a pub or restaurant in the cold.

Roderick Lawrie, chief executive of Toque Snuff based in Berwick, Northumberland, said his sales figures have risen by a whopping 78 per cent in the last year.Mr Lawrie said: 'When you smoke a cigarette you take in carcinogens and tar which can cause lung disease and cancer.'English snuff however is made from very fine ground tobacco making it much less harmful on the lungs.'It is definitely going through a renaissance as the recent rise in sales we have seen is phenomenal.'We are riding on the crest of a wave and our sales have gone up by 6.5 per cent every month for the last year.' 

As tobacco sales feel the pinch thanks to the smoking ban, those of snuff are on the rise The first snuff mill was thought to have been established in Seville, Spain, in the 16th century. Nasal snuff's popularity became popular soon after with it being the tobacco of choice for Europe's aristocratic class. By 1702, it had become more widespread among English commoners, especially miners as they were not allowed to light matches. It remained that way until the 1980s when the mines closed down. Mr Lawrie now sells 16 flavours of the powder including toast and marmalade, chocolate, espresso and peanut butter - as well as original. And about 50 per cent of his customers are aged between 18 and 25 years old. Mr Lawrie added: "Snuff is definitely going through a renaissance. 'We have been speaking to the people who make our tins and they have predicted a 15 per cent increase in sales growth over the next few years. We however believe it will be far more than that - we are becoming absolutely swamped with orders and enquiries. 'I believe the credit crunch is probably helping with the boost in sales. 'Heavy smokers could save 35 pounds a week which would amount to thousands over the years. It is fantastic that this 300-year-old industry which died a death 20 years ago is now experiencing a renaissance.'  Professor John Britton, chairman of the cigarette and tobacco committee at the Royal College of Physicians, said snuff has both advantages and disadvantages. He said: 'Switching to snuff would lower your chances of lung cancer and pulmonary disease by at least 90 per cent. 'However the chances of nasal cancer is increased by two or three fold.

'Snuff is not considered safe but it isn't as hazardous as smoking so isn't completely an unconventional choice.'  But officials for anti-smoking campaign group ASH have advised smokers never to use snuff. A spokeswoman said: 'ASH would not go as far as recommending snuff as it is much better for smokers concerned about their health to use medicinal nicotine products like patches. 'It is still a tobacco product so it does contain nicotine which is addictive. 'However most of the harm that comes from cigarettes is through smoking and inhaling the poisons and carcinogens. 'For a smoker who does not want to give up, they could use snuff as a short term alternative.' 

Comments

• So according to *which* study does nasal snuff increase the risk of "nasal cancer" (probably nasopharyngeal cancer?) or two or three times? I am highly skeptical of that claim.
  • AamonAamon Member
    edited November 2016 PM
    @aguineapig I completely agree how can they argue statistics like nasal cancer is increased two or three fold. Where do they get this number? how many snuff users on here has developed nasal cancer out of over 3 and a half thousand members? I haven't been on Snuffhouse for an extremely long time although I was under the impression no one has developed nasal cancer.

Eitherway this is a great publication, maybe we should try and contact daily mail regarding a follow up to their original article.
    @Roderick this had me wondering, how has Toque sales been since this was published? Did sales meet the predicted numbers?
  • Yes, all the thousands and thousands of snuff users dying horribly of nasal cancer [SARCASM ALERT]
  • I first read this as "twerk" which conjured up a whole different type of imagery...
  • "However the chances of nasal cancer is increased by two or three fold."

Technically true since 3 times 0 is still 0

• @n9inchnails, I googled. There's about 2000 cases of nasal cancer diagnosed each year in the USA, which means that the risk for the general population is about one in 100,000. We could argue about the statistical methodology used to determine that the risk is three times higher for snuff users, sample size would be the biggest issue, but even if it were true, you're pretty close at three times zero.
  • JakartaBoyJakartaBoy Member
    edited November 2016 PM
    There might only BE 100,000 snuff users in the USA. If one of them gets nasal canxer, you've hit the average. If by bad luck two get it, then all of a sudden the rate has doubled. It's not statistically meaningful.

Might as well worry about Ebola, leprosy, or zika. If you're going to die of a rare disease, it might as well be something spooky and exotic.
  • There is 0 reported cases of nasal cancer among snuff users, of those 2000 reported cases a year none of them were snuff users.
  • I'm sure as soon as we get one case, the cigarette companies would use it heavily as propaganda and try make it sound like snuff is as bad as cigarettes. I'm fairly sure I had more chance of getting nasal cancer when I used to French inhale, although who knows
  • @n9inchnails, you may be right. In which case the risk is infinitely greater for non-snuff users. Aren't statistics fun?!