30% off Thunder. Buy 10 and get them for only $1.95 ea. Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

6 Photo Assorted. Get 15 different snuff tins in this selection.

Snuff particle size & snuff making

Okay, I have 8 pounds of various whole leaf tobaccos, a ball mill, sodium carbonate, sea salt, and some mason jars all gathered up to do some snuff making this weekend. I still need to get some sieves. Which sizes are recommended for making snuff? I seem to recall Chef saying that he used a 70 micron sieve for his toasts. Does this sound correct? I saw another thread mentioning a 100 micron sieve. Any advice for a first time blender is appreciated.

Comments

• Molens used 250 and 400. It all depends on what grind you want to achieve
  • The coarseness of grind is completely up to you and your preferences ... 70 microns is VERY fine.

Also, keep in mind that if you re-hydrate the snuff after grinding / milling that the particles will "swell" producing what looks like a more coarse grind.

Good luck and have fun! 
  • @skydog What leaf are you using? Been looking into making some, but not real sure which variety to use. Trying to make a toast or scotch. Found some lightly fire cured and dark fire cured. Thinking that is what I need.
  • Thanks for the info, guys. Sieves look to be pretty inexpensive so I will get an assortment from 100 on up to 500.

@Llo, I purchased a pound each of various Virginia and burley tobaccos from wholeleaftobacco.com. My plan is to dry and grind each into flour so that I can blend them in test batches. I'm learning on the job and information is scarce but luckily the basics seem pretty straight forward, and @Juxtaposer has written a very informative guide that is located in the archives here on snuffhouse.com. As far as toasts, I read that the ingredients for one of the more famous (I want to say F&T HDT. I will confirm) is a combination of fire cured and flue cured with some ground stalks/mid rib of another varietal (Burley?). I've read so much on this recently that it is all mixed up in my head. When I come upon it again I'll update the ingredients.

My ball mill arrived today from Nuclear Scientific, a webstore suggested on the forums here, and the return address lists Bob Lazar as the sender of the package. For those not informed as much as I about alien conspiracy theory, a certain Bob Lazar gained popularity in the 80s for coming out as a worker at Area 51 and claimed to have reverse-engineered an alien space craft. After a little searching of the interwebs it turns out that Nuclear Scientific is run by the same Bob Lazar as the one of alien fame. Kind of interesting, I thought.
  • I've been looking at Wholeaf also. Thought the dark fired fronto would work. Just grind and sniff would be instant scotch maybe.
  • Scotch is so fine that I assume you would want to sift it first. I hear pantyhose stretched over a can or bowl works well if you are trying it with stuff around the house. If you go for it, let us know the results!
  • A mortar and pestle also does wonders for getting to that extra fine level.  
  • My finest homemade snuffs go through a 120 micron sieve. The coarser ones, which typically get baked like a Snus and then reground, go through a 220.

Sometimes, I don't even bother. I ground up some pipe tobacco the other day with a pestle and mortar. It's definitely a mixed grind, but surprisingly easy to take.

You could go even finer than 120, it will just take a while. It takes a few minutes to fully sort a couple of ounces of flour through the 120.