Black Friday All Week. Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Black Friday Sale On Now.

What would you consider to be a big pinch?

When I take snuff I usually just take a pinch between my index finger and thumb and sniff till it feels "right". I've seen in some threads people saying that they take "big pinches" and it gives them more nicotine. I use snus and snuff regularly but snus is hard to come by locally so I want to cut back. What would actually be considered a big pinch and what would be the best method to take it? Boxcar?

Comments

•  I suppose a big pinch would be the size of a Kidney bean , a normal pinch the size of a Pea. and a small pinch the size of an Apple seed.

Best method is any one you feel comfortable with. Box car is the most protective way, especially outdoors where the wind blows. It trumps back of hand for that factor. The spoon; well they come in different sizes don't they. Easy to master but may take several applications. And to the act of pinching ; although it has an added benefit with warming and adding oils from your skin is the most wasteful method. You waste a good bit using the pinch method.   
    My knowledge is worthless if not shared and applied . "Joseph McKenna"  
  • Hawaiian_RyanHawaiian_Ryan Member, Moderator
    I totally agree with @basement_shaman with the boxcar method.It also coats the whole front part of the nose if done right.And it is the most protective way until that wind blows it away.
    And I always thought pinching/"going bear foot"was the best because of heating it up adds a little more Depth of scent.But U do waste a bunch of snuff.

Peace :)>-

• 0:33 this is a BIG pinch!
    :D
  • n9inchnailsn9inchnails Moderator
    To me a pinch is as much snuff as I can grab with my thumb and forefinger, anything less is a small pinch 
  • JuxtaposerJuxtaposer Member
    edited April 21 PM
    A big pinch IS as much as you can hold... controllably, going up one nostril!
  • Pinching wastes snuff? Since when? I must be doing it wrong, because I waste no more snuff on a pinch than any other method. In fact the so called "boxcar" wastes far more in my experience.

For the record, I don't just grab the largest dollop that I can, and try to insufflate it all at once. I take a sensible sized pinch that is easily controllable by the forefinger and thumb, and go back for subsequent pinches as required. No waste.

Taking enormous pinches is like trying to eat a steak in the largest mouthfuls you can possibly cram in your mouth in one go. Why would you want to? Just take comfortably sized portions, and repeat till satisfied.
    edited April 21 PM

I have the exact opposite opinion,  why would I want to waste my time taking a bunch of little pinches wasting more snuff and risking possible contamination and spillage every time I stick my fingers into my snuffbox when I can easily do it all at once in a fraction of the time.

To use a food analogy you don't eat your cheerios one o at a time, you scoop as much as you can into your spoon and cram it in.

And for most snuffs one as-much-as-I-can-grab pinch isn't enough so I have to take another so if anything I need to get me some bigger fingers not smaller pinches.

• dan11dan11 Member
    I can't do boxcars or spoons, never works for me. I always pinch, any snuff. I can take big pinches or little pinches and everything in between. I don't think I waste much, especially with small pinches. While I was reading the comments I decided to try a three finger pinch, using thumb, index and middle fingers. That worked out well although there was a little waste. I don't know how much was in there, I doubt it was the size of a kidney, but it was definitely more than the hole in the middle of a cheerio.
  • If you didn't have any.
  • @50ft_trad - I agree with your way and follow nearly the same. 

I don't use spoons at all, even though I made a couple of my own using candy sticks. All snuffs require different pinch size, and I use plugging for most. I have negligible wastage, except if blowing my nose too soon sometimes is considered as wastage. I somehow cant do the boxcar effectively yet. Perhaps someday I'll learn it.
  • @n9inchnails I'm still confused by what you mean by wasting snuff by pinching. Wasting because it falls to the ground? Sticks to your fingers? Where is this wastage going? I still find pinching far more efficient in terms of control and minimised loss. We're all different though, and finding your own preferences is part of the fun.

Love the cheerios analogy BTW. To continue it, I'm not picking them out piece by piece, just picking a comfortable sized spoon for my mouth, and not wishing I had a ladle.

@newbiesnuffer Do whatever works for you. The boxcar gives me more wastage, and less control. I only tend to use it when draining the dregs from a box/tin, and there's just not enough snuff in there to take a decent pinch.

I agree on pinch sizes varying according to grind etc. I haven't found the plugging method very successful in my nose, though I will do it as a kind of "plug and wipe" after a pinch if I seem to have a lot stuck to my fingers.
  • edited April 22 PM
    @50ft_trad I employ the pinch and snuff is always on my shirt. Never once has the boxcar or back of hand got any on my shirt. I also Pinch only certain snuffs, the grams used in a week were more than if I used any other method ,on my shirt and fingers was unused unreclaimed snuff; I consider that waste .  How could you possible waste more with the box car? you're snuffing off the back of the thumb nail . Snuff don't stick to nails only under them. Lack of control sounds like a personal problem.

I really have no preferred loyal method of using snuff I use the best method for optimum pleasure. Black snuffs and schmalzlers I like a spoon. Semi moist I like the back of hand or boxcar. Semi dry I will use the pinch, and bone dry I had used all methods [Its  a mood thing]. I like my #10 medicated in a Posh Bullet. And I don't like bullets but this works just right for application. 

To each their own , I don't think it is vital to argue over putting snuff in the nose cavity. So the best method is the one that brings you most enjoyment. Rail lines with a straw if that is your thing.
  • bobbob Member
    I lately have been preferring big pinches. The way I do it is to put my fingers together but leave a space near the tips open. Then you press the divot into the snuff and barely squeeze it together. For some reason you actually get a big pinch that isn't smooshed. The not smoshing the snuff is the biggest part of it. Easier to control the sniff and the bigger the pinch it seems the harder it is too inhale too much snuff too far. The thing is what ever gets it into your nose comfortably is what is best. Play around till you find that. Funny thing is with spoons small bumps work best.Lots of small bumps. Not sure why it works like that. But with pinches bigger is better and with spoons not so.
  • AamonAamon Member
    They key to taking a big pinches for me is to pinch using all three fingers against my thumb, it take practice though I find it looks far more natural in public and you can take huge pinches as well.
  • @basement_shamen Thanks for the input. I have no desire to argue, technique is as personal as snuff preference. I just like to understand the perspectives of others.

I always get snuff caught up between the forefinger and thumb on the boxcar, and my moustache foils the spoon. Neither of them give me the control or efficiency of the pinch. Again, that's just how it works for me.

As to snuff down the shirt, I only tend to get that through "operator error", or if my nose is too dry (the snuff falling back out). My shirt stays a heck of a lot cleaner if I keep my hydration levels up.
  • Where you are, what you're doing and what you have on you plays an enormous roll.  I have a friend who will pinch the tobacco out of the tin just to put it in the boxcar - why?  Because that's how he likes to take it and it's hard to do without a tap-box or a spoon of some sort.  

Boxcar is fine, but I prefer the pinch.  By gently opening the tips of my fingers I can control how much I take.  I can take the whole pinch in one go, or I can slowly open my fingers and feel the dust gently entering my nostrils.  Plus, I carry tins or lidded, hinged boxes.  If I carried a tap-box I'd probably just resort to the boxcar.

Silly argument, really.  And waste?  I waste a ton of snuff, I'm sure.  I really couldn't give a fluff.  I will however say that the pinch looks more sophisticated.   
  • @50ft_trad , I also don't find pinching wasteful, but it always goes down my throat. It depends on the snuff for me. Some I prefer a spoon, like the OSP snuffs. But some I prefer a pinch, it leaves a bit more residue  on the lower part of my nostrils and on my mustache, so I get the smell a bit longer.

Also there is something, dignified about taking a pinch vs other methods.  
  • @yisraeldov That's interesting, with the throat hit.

I suffer greatly with that when using finer snuffs, irrespective of technique. It's just the shape of my nostrils. I have to save the finer snuffs such as Dr Rumneys Brown, and even many SPs, until I'm suffering congestion or my nose is full of other snuff to aid filtration.

It does mean there a lot of snuffs that I can't partake in, but there's still enough diversity for me to enjoy a wide range of snuffs.
  • @50ft_trader. I have a similar issue, but I think it is because of the dry weather here. My nose is mostly dry so snuff just doesn't stick unless it has some moisture of its own. What helps is to first take a snuff that has some front drip, then I can take the dryer snuffs. 

Now that it is starting to get humid , I have less of a problem.
  • edited May 1 PM
    @basement_shamen a big pinch is the picture you put on what s in your nose section (sparrow cool).how long does it last before you take another one, half a day ? Lol finally maybe i always tooked very small pinch without kowing it ! Thanks for the picture please post more it gives us an idea of what can be done :)
  • @Snufferdemedicis A quarter for reference , 41P W.E. As often as I wish. There is no "Right amount" use what you are comfortable with. You have to realize I started with Levi Garrett Rappee in 1971. That snuff was and is brutal if you can find it. I don't set that standards this is a normal amount for me. I think I will have some more. 20170501_182332
  • J_SJ_S Member
    edited May 1 PM
    What is big for one may not be that big for others. I have large hands and a pinch would be as much as one side of my nose could take but I also have large finger prints and the snuff sticks in there and will not just come out I would be wasting a lot of snuff taking pinches. I like to take mine off of the smooth side of the flat screwdriver of my Swiss army knife. I take two pea sized doses on each side and find that works great for me and I don't loose anything. It also avoids contamination from my hands and since I always carry it I never had to worry about it.
  • jmahesjmahes Member
    @basement_shaman, that looks about right 8-}
  • jmahesjmahes Member
    I have some Levi Garrett Rappee from the early seventies. Even though it's as old as I am, it is still potent tobacco. Good burn and nicotine effect for sure
  • ArtChooArtChoo Member
    What would you consider to be a big pinch?

It's obvious. 
    The forefinger and thumb of  The Jolly Green Giant.
    #:-S

• EffyEffy Member
    Intrigued by the comments around Box Cars and all that, I had a good look in to it.  I have to say, today I have only been using that method instead of my usual "back of hand" method.  

WOW - it is no exaggeration to say that this has revolutionised my snuffing.
  • JuxtaposerJuxtaposer Member
    edited May 5 PM
    I consider a big pinch to be smaller than a boxcar.
  • nicmizernicmizer Member
    Still think... when you're out of snuff your in a really big pinch...
    When you have to break it up with a stick before you can flush it.
  • 50ft_trad50ft_trad Member
    =)) =))