Check out our latest specials. Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Buy $40.00 of Sir Walter Scotts Premium snuff and get 10% off. Use Discount Coupon: SWS10 @ checkout.

"Cokesnuff" - 1970s English brand

Anyone remember this, or know anything about it?  I lie when I say the first time I tried snuff was just a few months ago.  When I was a juvenile delinquent I bought a tin of this Cherry Cokesnuff from a head shop.

It says "Made in England" - so why the umlaut over the "o"?

cokesnuff

Comments

• I think the umlaut is actually two of those berries, but wow cool...So besides the obvious marketing ploy was it any good?
  • Back in the infant days of this forum, this stuff was seen and talked about, but yours is the first reference I've seen in a lot of years.
  • Apparently its a pretty bad snuff. I remember this popping up awhile ago. http://www.snuffhouse.com/discussion/1872/coke-snuff
    There is a review on that page, if you were interested in the scent.
  • Thanks.  Just a bit of nostalgia seeing the tin art.  

@Icepick - no idea if it was good. I was probably about 11 years old!  No idea why they sold it to me.  But when I tried SG Cherry recently, it was a bit of a deja vu moment.
  • @Chico. I remember buying some of this also at a head shop when I was underage.
  • @RS422 - That's funny. Was it also the cherry flavour?  Where did you grow up?
  • There was no tobacco in that snuff it was like snuffywiess with flavor. I got 2 for $0.25 in 1971. Then I bought a large brown jar of Levi Garrett Rappee. I think it was $1.50 That was a big chunk of change . Ciggs were 35 a pack. It was common back them to say it was for your Dad or Mom.  
    My knowledge is worthless if not shared and applied . "Joseph McKenna"  
  • Chew in 82 was 1.10$ and that was expensive. Dean Swift was .55
  • Coke Snuff was out sold by the kind that didn't have the snuff ingredients.
  • @basement_shaman - "There was no tobacco in that snuff"  Is that what you told the person in the shop?  :-?  If you zoom in you can see first ingredient listed is tobacco. 
  • @basement_sharman ciggs were $35 a pack back in 1971? Or did I read that wrong?
  • @Chico. I think it was the cherry. I grew up in Ohio.
  • I remember Coke Snuff and it was a mannitol  based snuff and my first. Mine were non tobacco snuff they were very easy to use unlike the tobacco snuffs of the day.Sole importers in Phila PA. But I remember it saying made in France. The label looked the same as the ones pictured. It was a small turn tin with an oblong hole the tin was about the size of a quarter and 3/8" high. 

@Aamon yes ciggs were $0.35 I swore I quit when they jump to $0.50 a pack. I finally did quit when they reached $3.00
    My knowledge is worthless if not shared and applied . "Joseph McKenna"  
  • Must have been unpopular if they didn't offer a Coke or even cola flavor, probably why you don't see it today. Or maybe they were raided and shut down due to more critical reason.
  • I don't remember much about the scent or tobacco, but in 1970, I  lived near a "head shop" that sold this. I do recall that the strawberry was good. I have wondered over the years if anyone else recalled this brand, and I'm glad that some folks have. That was way back, a long time ago. It reminds me of how old I am!!!
  • coulda swore i saw a post on reddit about this a few months ago, looked like it was an ad in the back of a magazine or something. was it marketed as a product for places like head shops? was the "coke" implying it was "heady" or something?
  • ChicoChico Member
    That's why I bought it!
  • SnuffaliciousSnuffalicious Member
    edited January 7 PM
    Stumbled across this nearly full box of Strawberry COKESNUFF the other day at an auction and had to grab it.  Brought back memories of hanging around head shops as a kid back in the day!  Not sure how well it's "aged" over the years?  

Can't seem to get the photo to upload......?  Any trick to it on here?

• bobbob Member
    Just noticed the umlauts on the o. I guess that technically makes it not coke. I actually saw an ad for this on a list of 70's coke based ads. And it seems like there was some market for fake coke. Not sure if it was fake like fake weed and gave a buzz or fake like sell it at a concert and then disappear fake. But the marketing seemed to try and  imply it was a substitute of some sort.
  • The patchouli must have been so gross. :P