Black Friday All Week. Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Black Friday Sale On Now.

Scots Gaelic Poem in Praise of Snuff

Just found this in Michael Newton's The Naughty Little Book of Gaelic (Cape Breton University Press: 2014). This Ode to a Snuff Box was first printed in 1780, but Newton says it could well be older. It's originally in Gaelic, but I've omitted that here.

Welcome to you, O box
And your good powder along with you:Good, sharp, brown tobaccoWhich causes a workhorse to fart.
Stripped, crushed and roasted:It will sidestep the noseAnd reach the brain:It will revive the spirit of the old womanWho lost it seven years previous.
There is no disease of the bloodOr repeated swellingOr any nature of sicknessIn a person

Comments

• matteobmatteob Member
    Thanks for that. Snuff was highly popular in the Highlands because the weather made it hard to smoke they say.
  • ArtChooArtChoo Member
    The work horse reminds me of an old Spoonerism.

What is the difference between a knights steed and a brewery dray horse ?

A knights steed darts into the fray.

A brewery horse farts into the dray.

:)) =))

• edited July 8 PM
    Nice one! I feared turning 40 this year, but woke up the next day and found I was still able to laugh at fart jokes. :))
  • ArtChooArtChoo Member
    @ArgentOrangeOK
    40 years is nothing to worry about.   
     I just worked out, I was told that joke by my physics teacher in 1970.      That was 47 years ago. 
    It seems to have stood the test of time.