Get 50% off selected FUBAR snuffs. Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Free treat with any purchase of $20.00 or more.

The Texas and Louisiana Floods.

For some days now we have been watching the television news of the flooding in Texas and the storm moving up to Louisiana.
I cannot begin to imagine the suffering of those poor souls that have lost everything in the floods, and some their lives.
At a time like this it might seem a bit heartless and crass for me to ask a question about the tobacco growing situation there, but I think others may also be pondering what is happening at this time.

I do not have a clue about American geography.     Hopefully someone can enlighten me.
I read some time ago that Perique tobacco has been historically grown, in a triangle of land, at the junction of two rivers in Louisiana.   Apart from the later processing, the unique flavour and taste are attributed to the unusual soil on these farms.
I was wondering if anyone knew if the locality was in danger of flooding and possibly having the unique soil composition washed away.
Also, looking at videos of Perique production, it all seems a bit homespun. Leaves hanging up in barns and lofts, barrels of tobacco processing in sheds etc.
I was thinking that floods on these scales could devastate the Perique industry.  So much so that we might never see its like again.
Can anyone shed any light on the situation.

It is with mixed feelings that I have posted this question.

Religion is supposed to be a "no no" here, but hopefully we can all say a prayer to our various Gods for the survivors, or if if not religious, Sympathetic Thoughts for their situation.

Comments

• Terrible stuff thats happening over there at the moment.
    I cannot answer all of your questions though as for the erosion of the soil caused by flooding, it is difficult to say. The top soil of low laying land will more than likely be taken away in the flood and the soil composition will change either for the better or worse. The flood could deposited fertile soil in other places possibly expanding the growing region of this tobacco strain. Or it could do the opposite and contaminate the existing soil with pollutants, it would depend on a few factors including its proximity to major city's or towns which way the current is taking the water, the origin of the water and the altitude of the land. Depending what is in the soil that makes this tobacco so special nutrients, PH and some minerals be replaced and altered to a certain extent though salinity could be an issue. Just my 2 cents. 
  • Well, the Perique farmers survived Hurricane Katrina, which was more of a direct hit. I'm pretty sure the worst effects of Hurricane Harvey are hundreds of miles from St James Parish, LA. Maybe they get some rain, which is fine for tobacco. This time of year the plants are very thirsty as it approaches harvest time.

• My crops are very much under stress as I'm very busy not giving to much attention and they are very much ready and maturing very fast. Some I've moved to shade to slow down. Very hot and unusual summer after a very wet winter and very dry the last few months..overwhelming management for my biggest crop ever. Started air cure on some today really nice leaves today.
    Glad I kept less variety to a limit this season or I'd be overwhelmed! Hope the South can manage a successful recovery and produce great American tobacco as they have always done ASAP.