World's Largest Collection of Snuff Online
Finest Quality Indian Snuffs

Best selection of snuff and snuff related products in the UK.Toque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Coming soon...

Samuel Gawith Silky Dark

This is listed as a new item on Mr. Snuff. Any thoughts from those who might have tried it?

Comments

• n9inchnailsn9inchnails Moderator
    edited March 2019 PM
    It is Viking Dark rebranded under the SG name. People have peeled back Silky Dark labels and found Viking Dark labels underneath, they literally slapped Silky Dark labels on Viking Dark tins.

Ps. Viking snuff is mysmokingshop.co.uk house brand made for them by SG. Due to the overwhelming popularity of Viking Dark when it first came out Mr.Snuff must have made a deal with mysmokingshop to sell it and SG seeing how popular it was started selling it under their own label as Silky Dark.
  • Great info @n9inchnails

P.S.  Caught a NIN New Years concert back in 1991  :)

• SammyD13SammyD13 Unconfirmed
    Thanks @n9inchnails!
  • ar47ar47 Member
    @n9inchnails wow thanks for the insight! Is there a thread where we have information on all the SG connections with other brands?
  • I bought a Kendal Brown Scented tin that had just a Kendal Brown sticker underneath. Not Kendal Brown Original but just Kendal Brown. What is the difference?
  • Sorry for possibly being redundant but to give me peace of mind, I have to ask.  I just ordered Samuel Gawith Black Magic.  Am I right to assume this is what was formerly known as Samuel Gawith Silky Dark?
  • UweUwe Member
    Gormur, I do not know any snuff by Samuel Gawith calles Black Magic. Where did you order it?
  • @Uwe check snuffmeuk.  I read on older threads how there used to be a Black Magic snuff by/on Snuffstoreuk about 7 years ago.  Maybe it's the same one, i.e Samuel Gawith Black Magic

Cheers
  • volungevolunge Member
    edited August 19 PM
  • UweUwe Member
    Oh yes. Now I have seen it at snuff.me.uk  Have never seen it before. Please Gormur, hold us updated about it, when you get it.
  • ar47ar47 Member
    @Gormur it would be great if you could take a pic of the Silky Dark next to other SGs if you happen to have the snuffs and the time once your order arrives
  • @ar47 I didn't want to keep you in suspense.  I just got this in the mail.  It says Snuffstore Black Magic on the label.  I'm not doing anything with it right now and I don't have the technology to post a photo unfortunately, but hopefully that helps :)
  • ar47ar47 Member
    Hah thanks!
  • @ar47 It reminds me of Viking Thor's Hammer.  Maybe this is one of the tobacco blends used or rather what makes Thor's Hammer dark
  • n9inchnailsn9inchnails Moderator
    edited September 2 PM
    @Gormur Thors Hammer is a 50/50 mix of Viking Dark and Viking Blonde. Viking Dark, Black Magic and Silky Dark are the same snuff.
  • Friends, I have to tell you something.

Last week I received somt tins of Viking Dark and was a bit disappointed about the much lighter scent than that I knew. I missed the smokey edge of it. Today I received a tin of SG Silky Dark from snuffstore.de and hooray: It is exactly the tobacco I formerly knew as Viking Dark.

This and the new Wilsons-like tins of Viking Dark lead me to the suspection that Viking Dark nowadays is made by another company than before and also is another tobacco-recipe, whereas Silky Dark by Sam Gawith is the old Viking Dark. In former times they were identical, now the Viking Dark has changed and the Silky remains as the original one.

Could that be?
  • volungevolunge Member
    edited September 17 PM
    @Uwe I haven't tried neither Viking Dark nor Silky Dark, but this past summer I was treated with a sample of the new Viking Dark Rappee - supposedly re-branded SG Black Rappee - and can confirm it's not the same anymore. I found VBR lacking the smokiness of previous SG BR. The grind now is finer, too. In all fairness, it reminds the plain base tobacco of Wilsons of Sharrow Best Dark.

By the way, I mixed some V DR with W.E.Garrett plain scotch (think smoky toast) and the result was very similar to Thor's Hammer (1:1). Garrett does add some smokiness!
  • So could it be that WoS took over the Viking Range of mysmokingshop?
  • volungevolunge Member
    edited September 17 PM
    We'll live and see... I wouldn't be suprised. Saddened - yes. Each snuff mill has its own unique machinery, as well as the accumulated know-how. Probably even their own sources of raw tobacco... You can pass/sell the recipes and brands, but the gear (including old fermentation barrels) and labourers with their snuff making experience don't move along. This certainly affects the end product.
  • UweUwe Member
    edited September 22 PM
    @Gormur: Now I got some Snuffstore Black Magic in the mail today, have tested it and can confirm:

Yes, for me also it is exactly the Silky Dark from Sam Gawith with another label. The sign on the bottom of the tin says: Kendal Tobacco 10 297.

It is really beautiful. Thank you for your posts about that. 
    IMG_20200922_110755
  • If my calculation is right, this SS BM is fresh (06 2020?). At least judging by the date code 10 297.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/you-can-now-date-your-gawith-tobaccos

Kudos to @Johano for posting about this decoding system. I think it's the same link.

@Uwe, funny, it still comes with snuffstore(.co.uk) label, but is now available only at snuff.me.uk, right?
  • @volunge: Yes, I think so.

Thank you for postig the information about the date codes.
  • @Uwe No problem.  I knew if I tried to take a photo it wouldn't do justice to this snuff.  You guys take such excellent shots

I don't know anything about the switch of companies regarding Viking snuffs, but the Thor's Hammer 100g tub I got in July has that dark base that seems identical to Samuel Gawith SS Black Magic.  Less importantly, I prefer the 50/50 mix (Viking Thor's Hammer) to plain dark but I can tell the potency is about the same.  Very high

Samuel Gawith SS Black Magic is extremely messy.  Once it is absorbed in my nose, it kind of just runs out onto the sides of my nose without any warning and then blowing my nose it shoots all over the place, so a fair warning for anybody thinking about this one ;)