Finest Quality Indian Snuffs

Best selection of snuff and snuff related products in the UK.Toque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Worldwide distributor of the finest in snuff, chew, RYO, pipe, accessories and much more.

Possible to keep SWS at room temp ?

Im looking forward to receiving my first order of Sir Walter Scotts and was reading how there is a possibility for mold to grow if not kept in a refridgerator , but I was also reading mixed results from people who keep it in an airtight jar in room temperature without getting mold. Any tips to successfully do this? I can refrigerate but would prefer not to if possible. Im also ordering a few other snuffs that have high mositure like F&T and Gawith Hoggarth, do these need to be stored the same way as SWS?
Thanks for any help, im very new to this

Comments

• SammyD13SammyD13 Member
    edited November 10 PM
    I have never had a problem with SWS molding, but if you can store them in the fridge, I would mainly just do the moister ones. Also never pinch directly from the tin. We all have a few mold spores on our skin- they are everywhere.
  • Which SWS? Golden Horn, Havana Toast & St James Parish can be stored at room temp but in my experience Roselin, Anson Imperial, Moro Moro and Creme de Figue should be refrigerated.

I had a 50g Creme de Figue with ~30g left that had never been out of the fridge except to decant. After 6 months the jar was mostly white inside from all the mold (still in fridge).

Scent on my Anson Imperial quickly deteriorated and became musty a week or two after I tried keeping it at room temp (still no visible mold a couple months later, but I think it'll get binned regardless and is otherwise one of my single favorite snuffs)

I have some year-old Golden Horn that's been kept at room temp and is still spectacular. This is on the dry side of the spectrum, which I think is a key factor in the SWS stability for room temp vs. cooled.
  •  I got a tin of Thrice Brewed and Santo Domingo which i hear are very moist, so ill try to be safe and decant into a mason jar and also keep it in the fridge, Ill also try keeping a few grams in a jar at room temp just to see how it turns out. lll report back with the results
  • Zebra2374Zebra2374 Member
    edited November 11 PM
    I can confirm that Lundy Foot and Havana Toast dont need a fridge.
  • boiledonionsboiledonions Member
    edited November 11 PM
    I have had a tin of Thrice Brewed at room temperature for at least five weeks now with no problem. Granted I do have the tin taped with electrical tape and stored in an airtight Tupperware container in my basement that stays around 66 degrees F and 40 percent humidity now that the furnace is running about every day. I always use a clean spoon to move it into a smaller container that I can then pinch from throughout the day. The snuff in the tin has never been touched by fingers.

Edit: also, Thrice Brewed is excellent, enjoy!
  • Thrice Brewed & Field of Juipers seem fine at room temp in my experience. Santo Domingo I'm guessing is fine too like all the big mill stuff - it's the Artisan snuffs like SWS, Rosinski, Gadsden that need the extra touch. After 18 months none of my WoS, Toque, GH, SG, Taxi, 6Photo, Poschl, etc snuffs haven't shown signs of mold at room temp.
  • myceliummycelium Member
    edited November 19 PM
    Thank you all for the tips! The package arrived today but unfortunately the afghan white popped in the box and now all the other tins are covered in a layer of snuff. It was really everywhere, I was able to smell it before even opening. Hopefully it didn't ruin the other tins. 
    Has this happened to anyone else? Im guessing it was from the pressure during shipping but if that was the case it would happen to everyone.
    edit: just saw that there was two layers of sealing foil on the afghan white, maybe that's what caused it to burst