World's Largest Collection of Snuff Online
Finest Quality Indian Snuffs

Best selection of snuff and snuff related products in the UK.Toque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Coming soon...

Is Sam Gawith for sale?

RoderickRoderick Member
edited April 19 in General
Does any one know what has happened to Sam Gawith?  

I had a customer last week ask me to make a bespoke Kandal Brown similar to Sam Gawith.  I found I didn't have a tin in my snuff library and although I could have popped up stairs and bought one from Mr Snuff, I started doing a little research.  

They appear to have been liquidated in 2017 yet it looks like someone is still making it? Or is it old stock that is just what's left over from liquidation.  Might be fun to buy the company, if it's for sale.

Comments

• volungevolunge Member
    edited April 19 PM
    SG was devoured by GH. That is, both companies merged in 2015.

Gawith Hoggarth is still active.

https://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news/gawiths-one-big-happy-family-again-after-150-years-merger-confirmed/
  • Why not ask that fella at My Smoking Shop?
  • Mr_OMr_O Member
    If it was for sale, I would be very happy to see Roderick become the new owner!
  • I've been waiting forever for Kendal Brown Original to be in stock. If you can replicate it I'd be in for a bespoke order, to hell with the customs fees I'll pay on 400g! Even better if you can buy their recipes.
  • GormurGormur Member
    From what I've researched, you can't get any Kendal Browns besides the Scented and Special.  Other than that, Elmo Reserve

I started snuff in February, so I've only experienced Kendal Brown Scented.  I don't care too much for trying the other varieties but I'd definitely like to see Elmo Reserve
  • I think we are going to have to do a Kendal Brown.

• GormurGormur Member
    I don't know how ownership works but please do an Elmo reserve or something close, as I'd like to try that.  No need to take my post for serious though.  Cheers ;)
    -Lance
  • Elmo Reserve.  I think I have some in my snuff library.  I might have to get a fresh tin though.
  • GormurGormur Member
    edited April 26 PM
    @Roderick this message made my day.  Like when I met Sarah Chang (the violinist) and she said you look handsome to me when I was waiting to get her autograph for a performance of the Sibelius violin concerto
  • mrmanosmrmanos Member
    Strange that Mr Snuff still has a lot of SG snuff. I tried to order a tin of black Rappee and was informed that they no longer made it. Then I noticed the Dark Rappee from Viking at My Smoking Shop. I emailed the proprietor and asked if it was similar to BR. He replied, saying that it is exactly the same. I ordered a big tub, and while quite similar it is not the same snuff. Same with Scotch Dark.
  • volungevolunge Member
    @mrmanos, similar thing happened with Irish D Light, when its name was changed Irish D.
  • GormurGormur Member
    @volunge If I understand this right, based on reading threads here F&T HDT and Irish D were/are the same recipe.  However when company hands changed, so did the recipes; or at least the F&T HDT changed and evolved into a new recipe

Hope I got that right :)
  • volungevolunge Member
    edited May 4 PM
    @Gormur, probably. I haven't tried pre-WoS HDT.

Actually, SG made 3 different toasts - Irish D Light, Irish D Original and Irish D; the first two were axed, Irish D (hopefully) is still in the production. I'm not familiar with the Original, but I recall all three being listed and in stock at mysmokingshop.co.uk, when I started scouting internet for snuff... ten years ago?

Irish D Light was very different to the current Irish D. IDL had a very sweet and mild natural tobacco flavour, wasn't toasted (or very lightly toasted), super dry, very bright (pale), with uneven grind, and contained little alkalis (if any at all).

https://snuffhouse.com/discussion/12004/samuel-gawith-irish-d-original-vs-irish-d-light
  • GormurGormur Member
    @volunge Cool beans.  I just wondered because I have F&T HDT on its way to me and was curious whether or not it's just going to be Samuel Gawith Irish D in a different tin
  • volungevolunge Member
    edited May 4 PM
    @Gormur, you can rest rest assured, they are not the same. I would say, HDT is the mildest among currently produced toasts. Taking it by boxcar makes a great difference (my usual way with toasts is pinch).