Oliver Twist Tobacco Bits. Only £4.99 ea. Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Buy for $10.00 or more and get a free Seneca Original.

Samuel Gawith - Yay or Nay?

Comments

• bigbuyerbigbuyer Member
    edited August 2009 PM
    @Xander
    Sorry my mistake, must have been a senior moment...
  • @Leman - Avoid the Jockey Club, it is scented like cheap granny perfume. Not in the same league as the Wilsons and GH varieties.
  • Thanks for the tip Sandy. It will have to be the last SG snuff I get now. I'll probably only get it so I can say I have all their current snuffs.

GH Jockey Club is fantastic :)
  • Up till now, I've only tried the following: Apple, Apricot, Black Coffee, Cob Dark, Jockey Club, Kendal Brown, Irish 'D' Light and Scotch Black.

Black Coffee is my favourite and Scotch Black was the worst. Won't re-order Jockey Club, Apricot and Kendal Brown, not because they are so bad but I've found better ones from other manufacturers.

I've just now taken some Cob Dark..........lovely stuff!
  • @ Leman I had some of the Chocolate in trade with another member. It was very much like Afterglow in grind and moisture. Probably the same base tobacco. I might get it again someday.
  • I was wondering which one was better. SG Jockey Club, or GH?
    Similar scents on both?
  • Only had Wilson's Jockey Club here. Its good. I heard GH was also good but SG was not. I'll get them all eventually and decide for myself.
  • Actually, I heard that 6 posts ago.
  • @xander

GH snuffs don't do it for me. They seem really sneezy and not all that good.
    I don't see posts about GH much.
  • I have no more Jockey Club and have no intention of ordering any again. Just don't do it for me.
  • cstokes4cstokes4 Administrator
    edited August 2009 PM
    I have WoS Jockey Club. I've taken 2 pinches out of it in 2.5 years.

Jockey Club, French Carotte and Royal George are what turned me against florals. That is starting to change little by little.
  • @xander.

Read Sandy's post, too. Debated over whether to post my question or not, but decided to see if there were any GH fanatics who would rush to it's defence.
    I guess not. Lol!
  • sandy130674sandy130674 Member
    edited August 2009 PM
    Nothing wrong with the Gawith Hoggarth snuffs I've had. Their Jockey Club will not appeal to everyone, but it's a darn bit nicer than the SG version!!! Their CM is nearly as good as O&G, Fleurette is the most natural floral snuff I've ever had, Ambassador, Spartan, Western Glory, Jasmine, Mitchells, Eucalyptus, Sea Breezes and Kendal Brown were others I have enjoyed a great deal. The only one that missed the mark for me was Dry Orange, but it certainly wasn't objectionable.

I know there are a lot a Toque fans on this forum, but I would put Gawith Hoggarth several notches above Toque and may be even Samuel Gawith. You see for me, food and drink flavoured snuffs just don't turn me on, whilst a lot of Samuel Gawith snuffs can be very over the top in the perfume department. However, SG do some very good plain tobacco snuffs.

What I look for in a snuff is some intrigue, i.e. blends with some mystery (Wilsons of Sharrow do this brilliantly).
  • I'm a great fan of Gawith snuff, and particularly like the following:
    Camphor/Menthol (menthol not to overpowering)
    Dry Orange (interesting orange-peel scent)
    Kendal Brown (one of the purest tobacco tastes I've ever tried; I sense a good dose of Latakia here)
  • cstokes4cstokes4 Administrator
    DLT, those are Gawith Hoggarth snuffs, not Samuel Gawith snuffs.
  • I stand corrected, and thank you for the heads-up.

As a new snuffer, I appreciate your knowledge.

Dwayne
  • DLT, with all the "Gawiths" who are/were involved with snuff, it's easy to make such a mistake!
  • Anyone here have opinions on the Honey? I was disappointed with it, as I LOVE Wilson's Honey Menthol and expected something similar, only to find it tastes NOTHING like honey.
  • Yes, I have an opinion on their Honey - I don't like it. Has that usual sweet perfume taste that spoils too many of SG snuffs.
  • I like every SG I've tried. I think I'm up to around 30, and they are all good in varying degrees. But everyone's nose is a little different.
  • I have not tried many SGs, however, the few that I have tried have been excellent. Needless to say, I look forward to trying some more. I have been considering designating a period of time where I get a bulk order of a vast variety of snuffs that I have never tried from a brand that has a large variety of different snuffs (SG, Toque, Poschl, Dholakia, etc.), in order to get a better understanding of what these brands have to offer. I unfortunately as a snuffer I tend to get into a rut and buy large amounts of snuffs that I already know that I like. Feel that this year will be one of great exploration on my part.
  • SnuffySnuffSnuffySnuff Member
    edited February 2014 PM
    SG and Viking are wonderful.

I have about a dozen 8 SG, 4 VK in bulk.

want about another 8 in SG bulk, another 4 in vk bulk

I really need to fix this.

a wonderful company

SG (Viking) you are greatrst please continue with you're amazing snuffs * APPLAUDSSSSS *

OSCAR DE LLANO (I BUY YOUR SNUFF AT MYSNOKING SHOP)

both mysmokingshop and SG are amazing. keep up the amazing work you guys do. :)))

thanks

Snuffysnuff
  • Their natural snuffs are some of my favorites but I think their floral/fruity snuffs are totally disgusting for the most part. Their natural snuffs are so incredibly good, though, that Samuel Gawith is still easily my favorite European snuff company.
  • I don't like their florals at all either, @horus92 but agree that their natural snuffs are excellent. I'm sure I'll always have some Gawith in my stash.

I really like SP Scotch too and have been without for too long.
  • So, I bought three tins. Been trying the KB Plain. I enjoy it greatly and love the rush. Then Black Rappee; much more mellow and easygoing; so much so, I wasnt careful and snorted into my sinuses.

Then I just took some Elmo's Reserve. ZOMFG. The initial rush and the flavoring of chocolate powering through and then settling down into a nice tobacco flavor. Easily my favorite of the three. I was told it's basically powdered 1792 Flake. It's amazing.
  • I am big on SG Toffee, and I particularly like SG's Apple and Cherry among the fruit flavors. I use their Hazelnut often as a mixer - too cloying on its own but useful when diluted with less flavored snuffs.
  • YAY - Cherry, Elmo's Reserve, Firedance, Celtic Talisman, Irish D Light, Scotch Black, SP Scotch, Honey, Vanilla, Toffee, KB Original/Plain...

Leaning toward nay on snuffs like Otterhound and Cuckoo - they remind me of a wet dog/dog deodorant.  I'm also not a huge fan of Mandarin, Gin & Tonic, or Banana.  Guarana has peculiar scent that I haven't come around to yet.  

• Yay !

Elmo's Reserve,Firedance, Kendal Brown,Black Rappee

• Hawaiian_RyanHawaiian_Ryan Member, Moderator
    edited December 2015 PM
    Yea I like the Elmo's Reserve,SP scotch, Red Crest,Apple also the Bucks Fizz.I still got a lot more to try from SG.
  • My first SG was chocolate in a little tapbox. Nearly put me off the brand permanently.
    But the. Made a go of Elmo's Reserve and more recently, Black Rapee. How nice!
    I think they're a great classic snuff maker with some crap varieties but I think it's basically really good quality.
    I've never tried the fruit types.
    I mean with with Toque and Old Mill, there's not much reason for me to.