Tons of specials all the time.Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Odens and Siberia by the roll.

Favorite SP?

mrmaroonmrmaroon Member
edited May 2012 in Types of Snuff
Hey all, I've saved enough to make a snuff purchase and wondered what your favorite SP's were? I'm having trouble choosing which ones to buy.

Comments

• matsnuffsmatsnuffs Member
    edited October 2009 PM
    I've had Wilsons of Sharrow Tom Buck and Toque Original, and both are very good, and popular choices.
    Many also agree that McChrystal's "S'Nuff" is a really nice SP, but it only comes in the little tins, 5 grams or something.

I loved all three, but I'd say that Tom Buck is my Favorite, though that may be just because its the only one I've in stock right now!!
  • My top 3, in order.

J&H Wilson's SP no.1
    Toque SP extra
    McChrystal's SP
  • Here are my top 3 in order:
    Mac's SP (my all time favorite so far of any snuff)
    J&H Wilson's SP No. 1
    Toque Original

Other's I've tried and liked, no particular order:
    Toque SP Extra
    WoS Grand Cairo
    WoS Best SP
    WoS Tom Buck

I've really got to try the Mac's S'Nuff one of these days...
  • My favourites are:

1) Toque Original

2) WoS Tom Buck

3) WoS Grand Cairo
  • J&H Wilsons SP No.1
    Toque Original
    WoS Best SP
    SG SP No.1 Top Mill
    Tom Buck is yummy too.
  • I don't have a favourite, nor one I don't like:

Wilsons Morlaix (whether this is an SP is disputed)
    Toque SP Extra
    McChrystals SP
    Wilsons Tom Buck
    Wilsons Queens Extra Strong
  • I tried to decide on my favourite SP and couldn't! I like many if not most of them and all have their place in my nose.
  • I can't decide either.
  • HerzlHerzl Member
    edited October 2009 PM
    I don't have enough experience to talk about having a favorite, but that genre is definitely my cup of tea, far more than florals and flavors. If it fits, I'd like to add a vote for Toque Spanish Gem.
  • I forgot I also like Wilsons SS, SP2, SP100, McChrystals S'nuff and SG SP No. 1 HM.
  • cstokes4cstokes4 Member, Moderator
    Wilsons of Sharrow Grand Cairo
  • apap Member
    WOS Best SP
  • My two favorites are grand cairo and pompadour by dutch windmill which is basicly a strong clove with a mild sp a really wonderfull snuff need to get more of that one soon.
  • Pompadour is awesome, but I am not calling it SP. What are the parameters for SP anyway?

I've given this some thought, and for an unscented SP, I'd chose Samuel Gawith Yellow Crest, but the Blue and Red are also very nice.
    For a basic SP I chose either Wilson's SS, Tom Buck, Gold Label and SP100 and Toque Original. (I have not yet had Toque SP Extra). In the running are pretty much all the other ones from all companies. I really like them all.
    For a complex SP, you really can't beat Grand Cairo.
    For a floral SP, Wilsons Morlaix or Strasbourg. That is, if by a broad definition they can even be called SPs.
  • cstokes4cstokes4 Member, Moderator
    I love Morlaix, but I don't get any floral hints in there?
  • XanderXander Member
    edited October 2009 PM
    I know its a secret as to what's in it, but i get some lemon and a hint of violet. I have Royal George in my nose now, so forget tasting some for the time being. I'll check it out later when my nose is clear. Maybe I should call it a complex SP instead. F&T Morlaix, though, is not an SP, though the scents are similar.
  • I forgot about Wilson of Sharrow's SS. I haven't spent much time with it, but first impression was really good.
  • AbraxasAbraxas Member
    edited October 2009 PM
    W ansd H Wilson SP No 1
    WoS Best SP
    Toque Original
    WoS SP 100

The exact meaning of SP has been discussed at length. As far as I am aware there is no set parameter by the industry as to what an SP is, altough most share some similar characteristics: medium grind, moisture, nicotine and bergamot/citrus like overtones over a plain base.
  • WOS Gold Label. An SP of sorts and very good.
  • WoS Grand Cairo
    Toque Original
    WoS Best SP
  • I ordered some toque original, SP extra, and JH wilsons sp1
  • What? No Grand Cairo after almost everyone suggested it? LOL, I'm sure you will be happy with your choices.
  • For some reason Grand Cairo doesn't bowl me over. I've finished a tin of it off quite quickly, but without the greatest of pleasure (mainly to finish it off before it became stale). The name promised much for me - I was expecting something exotic and spicey. It is distinctive though, with hints of cardamom and bergamot.

As for Wilsons Morlaix, it is too floral to be an SP really. I don't think rose oil is a traditional SP ingredient.
  • For me it is:

Wilsons Tom Buck
    Toque Original
    McChrystals SP

In that order today, though my nose changes quite a bit depending on the weather it seems.
  • I already have grand cairo
  • Grand Cairo
    S.S.
    Tom Buck
  • My ones are:

Toque Original
    WoS SS
    WoS SP100
    Tom Buck
    Top Mill No.1

But I think they're changing evey week :-) !
  • Ok, I got a tin of WoS IDHT20 as the toasted SP. I was a little disappointed. Now the snuff is good, but it's not what I was expecting. Maybe someone can tell me if what I was thinking of even exists. I'm looking for something as soft and light as F&T HDT (in color, grind, dryness, and everything) but with the SP flavorings. I found HDT20 to be more lemony than just generally citrusy (if that even makes sense)

I have SG Red and Blue crest coming as well as a few others. The search is very fun though.
  • You might like Sam Gawiths HDT and SP's, they differ quite a bit from the standard flavours - see reviews on the review site.

You may find just putting one part of something like Toque SP Extra into a plain HDT will get you closer to what you are looking for. But I agree, the search is half the fun!
  • My vote is WOS Gold Label for #1 and WOS Grande Cairo for #2