World's Largest Collection of Snuff Online
Finest Quality Indian Snuffs

Best selection of snuff and snuff related products in the UK.Toque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID






Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

 Get Double the Reward Points for Next 200 orders!

Thermophilic Fungi from Snuff

TroutstrokerTroutstroker Member
edited November 2007 in General
For anyone who hasn't come across this yet, here's a little reading material. Isolation of Thermophilic Fungi From Snuff

Comments

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It is easier to read if you zoom in on it and make the text larger.

    Its basically all broken down in the last paragraph. The species isolated are typical inhabitants of self-heated organic matter; their presence in snuff is therefore not surprising. Although H. lanuginosa has been reported as a zoopathogen (1), it is not suspect as a serious public health hazard. Other thermophilic species of fuhgi which occur in curing and cured tobacco leaves are, however, of greater concern, and this report of occurrence of viable thermophilic fungi in snuff suggests that further studies, including examination of different lots of the same product, should be conducted. Investigation of the possible role of thermophilic fungi in tobacco fermentation also deserves further attention.

    I know the biggest concern with any fungus is in the respiratory system by breathing it in.
  • If you hold a large collection, and I know a lot of the members of this forum do, it's worth remembering this is a thermophilic (attracted by heat) fungus. If you have any concern about the condition of your snuffs put them in the freezer over night. However test them first, for some snuffs freezing can alter their flavour. If this is the case try them in a clean fridge (no food smells) as the article states none of the four species introduced grew below 20C. You will need to give your snuffs a good stir after defrosting to avoid clumping. I have never seen or read of a case of Thermophilic Fungi in English snuff nor for that matter any nasal snuff and think the chances of one of your snuffs growing it are incredibly rare. Do not forget this experiment introduced the fungi it was not present before. But an interesting article all the same.
    Storing your snuffs in a humidor always helps. Best to have 2 or 3 so that you can have 1 for your regular snuffs (the one you open a lot) and the others for rarely used collectable snuffs.
    If anyone finds a mushroom growing from their nose contact Troutstroker and he’ll shoot it for you.
  • Well fungus, molds, and bacteria are all around us all the time. Basicly all this study proves if anything is what type of fungus snuff has already on it (everyday you eat tiny bits of molds and funguses just not enough to be any problem) this is why mold can grow so fast because the conditions are right for it's expansion. From what I can tell yeah there may be health risks to this fungus (hard to say) doesn't seem to be if this study is correct at all or snuff users would die a lot younger then they do. Plus most fungus or molds labeled as pathogenic are only considered so because of allergic reactions some people have to certain molds and funguses (oh there are a lot that are just plain bad for you too). which can range to very severe or very mild. Nothing I would worry about. Plus this little study looks more like something someone did because they needed something easy to do for a term paper (and already knew they'd probably find this info out) or just needed another way to spend the budget. Or the dumb-ass took a job with a major tobaccoo company and that is the only research of his that they would release.
    P.s. Troutstroker it would be better not to shoot the mushroom but eat it instead.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TroutstrokerTroutstroker Member
    edited November 2007 PM
    Well there is a mold/plume that grows on cigars that many people like.

    And Bob, I would rather eat the mushroom. I am a big wild mushroom hunter. Love the morels, boletes & puffballs. Mycology is a hobby of mine.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yeah the fly agaric is a very interesting looking shroom. Hallucinogenic & can be Deadly, but interesting.
  • I like the kind that grow out of old cow pies ...if you live close to a pasture, definitely worth looking for.
  • Oh the LBM's (little brown mushrooms) also called the Dung-Loving Psilocybe & Liberty Caps. They grow all over our ranch. But I tend to pick mushrooms to eat rather than take a trip. Those mushroom growing kits are pretty fun. You get a compressed block of saw dust filled with mushroom spawn. Keep it moist and before you know it you have mushrooms to pick. I have done a couple, Shitake, Oyester & Maitake (hen of the woods). You can find them here at Fungi Perfecti
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This is a great book to have on hand for identifying shrooms Mushroom book. There are some real good treats out there when it comes to wild mushroom. Morels are probably my all time favorite.

    image
  • For some reason there have been a lot of aminitas growing around my next of the woods well last year there where. Which is strange I've never seen them growing near here before. Though definately an interesting experience to eat one. I love mushrooms the edible kinds that is.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nah I don't think this research has much to do with anything. Plus this research is over 20 years old it is 26 years old at least. Seems like all it really has found is that if you grind tobacco it is just as likely to contain molds that might make some people allergic (which can be a very severe thing sometimes).
    Bob
  • Though my favorite part of this study is that the "plates" basicly seem to be the best way to make the fungi grow like crazy.
  • Sorry to post three in a row. I think the only thing this research would be usefull for would be possible if you where looking to grow certain fungi, which may even very likely be the intent of the research in the first place.
  • Well the study is actually 33 years old. It was written in 1974. It is more than just finding if someone might be allergic or how to grow certain fungi. They first looked to see if the fungi existed, how fast they grow/spread, & what types of fungi do exist. There are many fungi that do more than just cause an allergic reaction. Some are pretty serious. I would like to see a follow-up on the fungi found. Even if these are fungi that exist around you already, you are greatly increasing your exposure buy directly sniffing it.

    For some people, the "moldy odor" can be irritating to mucous membranes, cause headaches and other symptoms. This odor comes from volatile organic compounds (VOC's) produced by mold as it degrades organic substrates and is generally considered one of the primary causes of irritation.

    Allergic reactions are typically the most common health problem. Symptoms include respiratory problems and difficulty breathing, nasal and sinus congestion, burning/watery or reddened eyes, dry hacking cough, nose and throat irritation, shortness of breath, skin irritation, headaches, memory problems, mood changes, aches and pains, and possible fever.

    There are an estimated 100 species of mold known to cause infections in humans and immune suppressed individuals are especially at risk. Infections can be localized or systemic. Aspergillosis is a common fungal infection requiring hospitalization in the U.S. Other fungi can infect hair, skin and nails.

    Many species of mold produce toxic metabolites called mycotoxins which are believed to be most prevalent in spores (both living and dead spores). Mycotoxins are of special concern since some may present a greater hazard to humans than all other conditions including nerve damage, organ damage, and cancer. Symptoms of toxicosis from mold include cold and flu-like symptoms, headache, nosebleeds, memory problems, fatigue, dermatitis, immune suppression, etc.
  • I was just guessing that if this mold is very commonly present and grows that easily on tobacco includeing snuff then we have all probably gotten our fair share of it in our system at some point or another. My other guess was that if my first guess isn't correct it is either so uncommon in a real world situation or so obvious that it isn't truely a problem. I know personaly if I saw or smelled mold or fungus on my snuff I'd just toss it.
    For instance if there was a terrible problem with snuff fungus I'am sure we would have heard something about it eventualy (at least one person on this forum).
    P.s. Atheletes foot is bad enough.
  • Yeah I don't think there is anything to worry about. Its definitely not going to change my opinion about using snuff or even think twice about it. I think the biggest problem someone might face from an infected snuff would be the possibility of a persistent cough, but nothing fatal. I just found that the varieties of fungus that will spawn from snuff was interesting! Who knows, some of the fungus present might have a penicillin effect?
  • I keep not getting around to look up more about this subject. It is definately interesting.
  • Thermophilic fungi is mainly molds, so is normal to find it in fermented tobacco, Obviously if it is present in big quantity it can be harmful, but its indcate also a scadent or overfermented tobacco, This kind of fungi is daily eaten whit cheese, fermented beverages, yogurts etc. and can be dangerous only if you have immunosuppression disease of some kind .
Sign In or Register to comment.