10% off Copenhagen. Get them while they last. Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Buy two of the same Thunder and get a free Oliver Twist Black Tobacco Bits.

High Dry Toast

MrColcannonMrColcannon Member
edited August 2012 in Types of Snuff
This is a fine milled snuff of light brown color with a medium-high nicotine content.  It is presented in the most aesthetically pleasing and hermetically sealed container that I know of any snuff, a true collector's tin!  With a toasty, nutty flavor that may be in a class all it's own, this snuff seems to be a true original!  There may be slight discomfort for the beginner, but the afterburner is worth it. Very highly recommended!!

Fribourg & Treyer HDT is an everyday snuff for me. 

Comments

• I'm relatively new to taking snuff, being off cigarettes one year now and on a pipe since stopping smoking cigarettes. I just love F&T and buy directly from wilsons of sharrow who now own it and sell online. High dry roast gives me that kick that I need when I cant quite reach it with other F&T. Especially when im hungry and its not time to eat. HDR takes away the hunger pangs and hits the spot for nicotine thirst just nicely. Cant stop snuffing now if I wanted to, but F&T is my saviour every time no matter which one, they are all lovely.
  • My first toast. It's a wonderfull snuff. Nutty buttery a must try to believe. Unlike most FT snuffs this one is unscented. It is pretty easy to take considering the dryness and fineness of the grind. It's fairily complex. A good first toast to try.
  • Fribourg & Treyer High Dry Toast The toast suited for royalties. Leathery and silky smooth grind with a decadent dry nutty presents. The best toast I had tried. The color is blond which tells me it is loaded with my favorite vitamin N. If you enjoy scotches they will take a back seat when you put HDT behind the wheel. Believe it for yourself no hype IMO. THE SNUFF TO PUT IN YOUR BEST SNUFF BOX!!!
    My knowledge is worthless if not shared and applied . "Joseph McKenna"  
  • So far this is my absolute favorite snuff! It is also the one that lasts the longest in my nose. Highly recommended, but not for the inexperienced... That is, you might be better served finger loading it rather than sniffing it as I coated the back of my throat for weeks until I learned the proper procedure for sniffing this delightful treat.
  • For me the nutty flavour is very subtle. What I can smell is HAM or the smell of a butchery or BBQ. It's very unique.
  • Butter baby. Butter
  • Was going to add this to my must try list... So no flowery, leather or menthol scents in there? I am looking for a nutty un scented ..
  • F&T High Dry Toast is a lovely snuff. I think WOS Irish Toast 22 has more of a kick, but there's something smoother about the F&T.
  • i find F&T HDT and WoS IHT 22 quite similar, but the HDT is much smoother and a bit nuttier, and the IHT has more kick and i found it easier to take. both pure toasted goodness.
  • JakartaBoyJakartaBoy Member
    edited June 2014 PM
    I've been alternating between Lundy Foot and HDT as my main squeezes over the past week or so. I was very much hoping that I'd be able to smugly report that I thought HDT was just as good as or better than Lundy Foot, just because it's about a third of the price, but I regret that I am unable to do so. Lundy Foot still has the advantage. It's not a huge difference, but quite distinct. The Lundy Foot seems to have a more complex, layered after taste as well as a fair bit more nicotine kick.

The jury is still out on where Dholakia Sparrow comes in. I'm not even sure they are quite playing the same ball game, although the Sparrow does have many of the qualities of the other two -- although much stronger nicotine kick, but nowhere near the same level of complexity.

I've never tried the Toque Toasts, except Almond about a year ago. I remember being underwhelmed by it then, but I'd like to give it another shot to see what I think now. Anyone have any opinions on how the Toque Toasts compare to HDT?
  • I'd agree with @Firestarter0 & @Franknsnuff I think that #22 and F&T's HDT are very similar with HDT probably having the edge in terms of complexity of scent profile, grind and nose feel. Interestingly HDT was one of the last additions to the F&T range I believe [post WoS buying the licence] so it's not too odd that the two share some similarity. I was reading the little F&T booklet in the resources section the other day but don't think that this mentions HDT at all until the 60's section.

SWS offerings are indeed the best available to my mind, I think @JakartaBoy has come to the same conclusions. Lundy Foot has an amazing sweet, sugary, caramel/candyfloss profile to me. The latest offering, Havana Toast is likewise exquisite: I think that addition of the cigar leaf along with the rustica is a winning combination that provides strength and depth of scent complexity. I been on that for a few weeks and it's like a onion; just when I think that I have it pinned down, it peels back to reveal another level of flavour.

Toque toast are a bit of a odd one in my book; I have both the almond and the lime toasts. I like both and they definitely are both well cased in the flavours, the grind is OK, but somehow they don't live up to any of the above for me. Although they do have the almond/lime scent which is excellent in it's self, this seems to obscure any other complexity of the range of other scents in there. I tend to find that's true of most of the 'flavoured' Toque snuffs in my collection, they really smell like the casing true to whatever it is [not artificial], but it's almost too good in that it seems to float upon that, a blast of scent then gone... I still rate both the toasts, but they don't get as much use as Lundy Foot, Havana, HDT or #22.
  • I have both the almond and the lime toasts. I like both and they definitely are both well cased in the flavours ....
    @MisterPaul, right away, that puts them into a totally different category in my mind. I really like the fact that HDT -- and, as far as I can tell, Lundy Foot -- is pretty much nothing except tobacco. I'll give the Toque toasts a try some time, but I won't try to compare them with the natural toasts. I guess HDT is one of a few snuffs that I could call the desert island snuff, I don't seem to get sick of it and it's always interesting.

• If you like HDT try Square Scotch or W.E Scotch they will kick you on your A**. Just got some HDT & its tasty, The White Elephant is Strange I can’t figure it out? Something really stinks in it maybe it’s the ammonia, but do dry fine snuffs have ammonia? Maybe it's Elephant piss. I might mix it with some toast and see what happens.
  • The White Elephant is Strange I can’t figure it out? Something really stinks in it maybe it’s the ammonia, but do dry fine snuffs have ammonia? Maybe it's Elephant piss.
    Haha. 6 Photo is even worse, they use Cheeta piss. You learn to like the acrid, vinegary, slightly fishy, gunpowder taste of the Indian whites. Don't worry, you didn't get a bad tin or anything, it's meant to taste like that.

• The White Elephant is Strange I can’t figure it out? Something really stinks in it maybe it’s the ammonia, but do dry fine snuffs have ammonia? Maybe it's Elephant piss.

Haha. 6 Photo is even worse, they use Cheeta piss. You learn to like the acrid, vinegary, slightly fishy, gunpowder taste of the Indian whites. Don't worry, you didn't get a bad tin or anything, it's meant to taste like that.

Ok, I’m digging on the tangy high notes with the White Elephant. It’s really growing on me. I know it’s not really a toast but I love lining it up with my Dry toasts and Scotches.
  • The white snuffs are an acquired thing, to the uninitiated they smell like cat-piss, fish-food, even semen. Once you get into them they're pretty addictive though, I'd say at least 70% of my snuff-use by weight is white.
  • Ok, I’m digging on the tangy high notes with the White Elephant. It’s really growing on me. I know it’s not really a toast but I love lining it up with my Dry toasts and Scotches.
    It may or may not fall into the "toast" category, but there are similarities with the grind and the dryness. I think you could say the whites out-toast the toasts. A few weeks ago, I would have said the same thing as @horus92, the white were a very large part of my diet. But just recently, I've neglected them a bit in favour of HDT, Lundy Foot and Havana Toast. I think there's a crossover, people who like snuffs in the one category will probably like the ones in the other.

• Man, this used to be my number one baby. Turn tin, wooden slider, or hundred year old silver flip top - I'd load F&T HDT into anything and sniff it all day, every day. Best toast on the market in my humble opinion.
  • Tins versus bulk: big difference in flavour? Any opinions?

I've totally fallen for this stuff since MS had his big sale. At the moment, if I had to do the old if-you-could-only-have-one thing, this would be it. Good sharp burn, strong, leaves a taste a bit like when you smoke a good English blend in a pipe.

Next order will be a 250 gram bulk package, special order. Anyone know how long you usually have to wait for it to ship?
  • SmeckmaSmeckma Member
    edited October 2016 PM
    I don't know why, but Wilsons of Sharrow will charge you more for it than if you buy it from any other supplier. You can get a 50 grams tin at snuff store for just
  • I do like HDT, but right now, im going more with the Toque Natural Toast. Its not as silky, but its more nutty/smoky and it lasts longer than F&T HDT.
  • @lunecat  Now that is a nice order! I'm still waiting on my HDT order from 10/25 (that's to the states so hope is not lost yet) I had to dip into the IHT22 reserves in the meantime.  Enjoy!