Get 50% off selected Toque snuffs. Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Get 50% off selected Samuel Gawith snuffs.

What's in your pipe?

Comments

• JinderJinder Member
    Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls in my Meer-lined Dr. Plumb billiard. First time out with this tobacco and first impressions are excellent...opened the tin, rubbed out a roll, 3-stage filled it and lit up with no probs.

Nice mellow VaPer with none of the odd aftertaste that Scottish Cake has.

I love how classy Dunhill tobaccos are. Just a great smoke.
  • Christmas Cheer 2011 in a Davidoff lovat 410
  • Edgeworth Sliced in a Flame Grain Kaywoodie billiard
  • MouseMouse Member
    Lakeland Brickle Fortissimo in a baby churchwarden/pot
  • n9inchnailsn9inchnails Moderator
    edited May 2012 PM
    Royal Yacht in a Peterson Donegal Rocky canadian
  • Mr_OMr_O Member
    furious-- did you buy the Edgeworth recently? Haven't seen it in a while...
  • Sure did. Scored an old sealed 1.5 ounce tin from that auction site. Flakes were quite dry as one would expect after 55 years or so but smoked beautifully. Sweet molasses and nutty notes and cool all the way down to the heel.

• Mr_OMr_O Member
    Nice! I've actually never had it- was on my to try list, then it seemed to disappear from the market. Isn't it a burley based blend(if I remember right)? I did kind of like thier ready-rubbed, but that's kind of different huh?
  • JinderJinder Member
    Earlier I was really enjoying some SG Westmorland Mixture in my Pete Shamrock 86S, currently lapping up some Commonwealth Mixture in my '49 Pete System Standard 314.

It's raining and cold...to quote @pieterclaassen, "it's Latakia weather"!
  • @Mr. O Yes, it's a burley blend with a good dose of dark Kentucky and what I think is a casing of molasses. It's really great stuff either sliced or ready rubbed, but I'd give a slight edge to the former as it has more concentrated flavor and so smooth.
  • Mccleland old World Classic in a new meer
  • Mr_OMr_O Member
    Sounds good furious, smoke a little extra for me!
  • MouseMouse Member
    GH Dark Flake, scented for me this evening.
  • Granger in a cob.
  • SG BBF
  • GLP Cairo in A GBD estate.
  • S. Gawith Commonwealth in a Castello gg65
  • 1888 early day in a ebony killarney 80s fish tail
    My knowledge is worthless if not shared and applied . "Joseph McKenna"  
  • Mr_OMr_O Member
    Do most of you Peterson people prefer the fishtail? That's how I have my 2 Peterson's, it seems like the P-lip can fry the roof of your mouth a bit.
  • @
    Mr. O

Depend on what is in the pipe. I puff like a locomotive with some tobacco. others I sip so yes the P lip thing just makes a difference but so does the shape of the bowl narrow, wide ,deep. They all play a role on the flavor and heat of the smoke.Packing and tamping also makes a world of difference. I personally prefer the fishtail,they also are easier to run the brush threw.   
  • JuxtaposerJuxtaposer Member
    edited May 2012 PM
    @Mr.O , I was of the same mind until I smoked some straight Virginia tobacco in one. The P-lip seemed to make it easier to draw with less force keeping the hot burning tobacco a little cooler. I also noticed the roof of the mouth and the tongue having different types of sensitivity and for this particular ph of tobacco my roof is less sensitive. I only have the one P-lip and will be dedicating it to straight VA's. I'm not sure if I would get another though.
  • Mr_OMr_O Member
    I have an old Peterson knock off with a p-lipesque bit, and it seemed to wreck the roof of my mouth a bit. On the other hand it was used for burleys and some slighly-sweet aromatics, so that may have something to do with it- but I don't usually go for extra sugary blends which tend to burn pretty hot. Suppose I should try a p-lip with some heavy English like I usually smoke.
  • McClelland Black Sea Sokhoum in my Tsuge Tokyo 553
  • MouseMouse Member
    I've had the same problem with p-lips and the roof of my mouth, ditto for clays with their narrow fast smoke stream--end up with a spot of swelling, not pleasant. I also find the lumpy bit uncomfortable. Probably the way I smoke, but I prefer fishtails.
  • Mr_OMr_O Member
    Yeah, at least I have a decent number of pipes that work nicely. Does anyone else like Kaywoodies? Someone got me started on them, and - perhaps a little surprisingly the "drinkless system" doesn't bother me at all. Also I've been informed that the briar is first x-rayed before it becomes a pipe, so you know the pipe has no hidden sediment etc beneath the surface.
  • Commonwealth Mixture in a Clarence Mickles jumbo bent Billiard.
  • Presbytarian mix in a falcon.
  • Dorchester in a Pete 80s.......this is good stuff but I think Dunbar is nicer.
  • @ PieterClassen, Dorchester is less pronounce then the Dunbar like a Macintosh to a Winesap /apple to apples or VaPer to VaPer. it probably that extra Virginia that make the difference. Still a top notch tobacco at a value price. Just got a large assortments of Esoterica ,and I am working my way threw them. All tasty so far! In the pipe now And so to bed in a Pete 999.
  • @basement_shaman, I'm actually liking the Dorchester more and more the more I smoke it!!  Easy to light and keep going, nice, rich and sweet "tongue taste" all the way down to the bottom.  I've received this tobacco by accident (should have been Dunbar) but I'm going to order some more.  Very good value for money, indeed.

Smoking a bowl of Dorchester right now in a Stanwell canadian.