Get 15% off all Sir Walter Scott snuffs.Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Toque dale. 15% off all Toque snuffs.

Your dream career?

BigDaddySnuffBigDaddySnuff Member
edited October 2012 in The Pub (Off Topic)
What did you want to be when you grew up? When you are at work what other job/career do you find yourself daydreaming about?

I always wanted to be a tug boat captain or a river pilot.

Comments

• Haha, weirdly enough... a butler

I was an odd kid
  • I just wanted to find a big box of money.
  • As to your second question, bigdaddysnuff - bob's answer
  • cstokes4cstokes4 Member, Moderator
    Right now I'm preparing myself for law school; currently trying to finish my BS. After high school I worked at a funeral home for a few years, first doing services then removals and cremations. When I was a kid I always wanted to be a Mortician/Funeral Director. I still wouldn't mind going to mortuary school, maybe one day when I'm bored.
  • @cstokes4 That's awesome. You are a hard worker. My wife's cousin is a mortician and loves it. He makes a boat load of money and the weird thing is he isn't even a creepy guy. It's a business that is recession proof!
  • cstokes4cstokes4 Member, Moderator
    @BigDaddySnuff:

Most of the firms down here are corporate conglomerates; most of the licensed FD's only make ~$15 an hour. Hopefully one day the big firms will go under (no pun intended) and make way for the mom-n-pops again.
  • @cstokes4 I never even knew it was a corporate thing. I always thought it was a niche type business. You are correct though, he does work for a mom-n-pop establishment. I think last year he said he made 75-80k and he has only been at it for 5 years. He does everything though. Pick bodies up, embalms, reconstruction, make-up, cremation, and he is on call all the time for some reason.
  • Not to sound strange, but I don't daydream about other jobs anymore. Through the most ridiculously possible route, I ended up with the dream job I never really knew I wanted. It's an odd world.
  • Tug boat captain and river pilot are actually viable options for me. I'm weird though and like going away deep sea for months on end. Still a lack of available jobs has kept me on the beach for several years now, so inland waters may again be in my future.
    I wanted to be an emperor when I grew up. That gets less likely all the time.
  • @Dogwalla I don't remember what your career is?
  • I WANNA BE PROFESSIONAL SNUFFER !!!....any offers...?
  • I am so lucky, I've got mine.
  • @Dogwalla that sounds interesting. Please share the details :)
  • tybalttybalt Member
    edited October 2012 PM
    I've always aspired to join the ranks of the idle rich, preferably by inheriting a fortune. As Oscar Wilde once said, work is the curse of the drinking classes. As it is, I have to settle for practicing law.
  • I was going to join a small dance group that was starting up called the chip and dale review. I had building trades in HS Tech, and after graduation I became a carpenter. Now 33years later- self employed for 26 years doing what I know. I should had join that dance troop.
    My knowledge is worthless if not shared and applied . "Joseph McKenna"  
  • @b4xter @BigDaddySnuff It's funny how it worked out. As a young pup I started in retail sales, IT for 8 years (hit a low-level V.P. spot), moved and couldn't find IT work, got an accounting degree (Magna Cum Laude), got hired at a local bank as the purchasing manager, two years later: BAM! I'm making TV/Radio/Print ads for the company. Been doing that for 2 1/2 years now and every day is awesome. Who knew?

Plus, I have the coolest equipment in the company =D
  • Really don't mind doing any job, as long as i enjoy the people i work with.
  • Musician/Painter/Singer/Producer/Rapper/Lord of the known universe. just about any one or any combo of those would be great.
  • Tom, it looks like I have a your dream job, and funny enough, I have my dream job as well.

Though when I was younger I wanted a chateau with a militia and wished I had a prominent family name. Never "knew" what I would do with a small army.

@Roderick, right there with ya.
  • I reckon I'm already doing my dream job!

http://shop.eastridingminiatures.co.uk/

:-)
  • A pro-rock musician, which I did for 8 years but there are just too many great players around. You need to be mind bogglingly good to make it on playing alone, or great/very good and lucky. I drifted into a second career, cop, which I ended up really loving despite every single person that knew me saying I was the last person on Earth they thought could make a go of it, and now I'm working on career number three - in some ways the most challenging yet. I've been lucky because I've always loved what I do and I left school with 3 O-levels and was told by the careers guy that I should consider being a petrol pump attendant.
  • Zoologist
  • Well, I'd like to become a officer in the Marine Corps. I qualify for Intel and pilots school, but have no interest in being a pilot. Considering military police because it's sort of a tradition in the family.
    After that, I'd like to go back to school, get my masters, eventually a phd and teach at a college, and own a small farm. On said farm, I want to grow food crops, and of course TOBACCO! mostly for my own personal consumption, but I've always thought it'd be cool to supply small tobacco companies, like some snuff producers, with good organic, or limited pesticide tobacco.
  • My passion for learning about other countries cultures politics and conflicts always made me want to become an ambassador, or maybe a journalist like the guy who made 'death in gaza' except I wouldn't want to die halfway through my final project.
  • I always wanted to be a rock star. Metallicas first album kill em all fuelled my dream so I bought a guitar and learned how to play. Didn't get to far with it but I always enjoy playing every now and then.
  • I always wanted to be a rock star. Metallicas first album kill em all fuelled my dream so I bought a guitar and learned how to play. Didn't get to far with it but I always enjoy playing every now and then.
    I wanted to be Kiss demon Gene Simmons..but my tongue was too short so I changed my mind and I became the bassist in philharmonic

• I want to own a gun store/tobacco shop/ liquor store call it ATF! With a bait shop for the wife out back. Actually I'd like own my own old time type tobacco shop. Pipes and smokeless. Cigars to keep the bills paid.
  • Always thought I would like to be a baker.
  • Well my passion is Rock climbing/ Bouldering, so I would love to get paid to do it. I want to own a climbing Gym also.
  • @stogie I agree there is something about baking/bakers that i really respect. We have three small bakeries here in town that I like to visit on a regular basis. Bakers seem to have this cool vibe about them. Hey, it's never to late.