Seneca Roll of 5. Only $9,99. Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Wish you the best for 2017.

6 Photo Kailash

Alright so with my last order of snuff from Mr. Snuff last year, the bonus gift was a small bag of 6 Photo Kailash. I'd never tried Indian snuff before, and was blown away by how unique and amazing it was, the scent was just beautiful, nothing like I'd ever experienced before. It's hard to describe really, it was like flowery and springy and mountainy. (and by flowery I mean something completely different from say F&T Bordeaux or WoS Burgundy, Kailash had a very light cold sensation in my nose. Whereas Bordeaux/Burgundy smell more like a floral perfume imo, Kailash smelled like you were actually out wandering the countryside in the cool air breathing in all the pleasant floral scents of nature). The texture was a little weird, very very dark black snuff that easily stains things and a little clumpy, but not too difficult to use out of that little 6g bag I received in my sample.

Enticed by the idea of Indian snuffs, and attracted by what seem to be pretty good value for the price paid per gram, in my last order I ordered a 45g tin of Kailash (as well as 30 g of 6 Photo Super Chetak and 25g of 6 Photo Super Kailash, which is a lighter brown and quite different from regular Kailash).

However, while I am enjoying it, for some reason things seem a little different this time. For one, the snuff in the tin is a lot clumpier than I remember it. I usually like to run my hand though my snuffs just to mix it up and break it into nice loose powdery snuff, as well as feel the sensation of fine snuff running through my fingers. But this stuff is like solid clumps, I can't run my hand thought it, because I just hit like a rock solid pack of the stuff. Besides that, being very dark black snuff, it gets caught in my fingernails which always turn black after touching Kailash. But the uber-clumpiness also makes it difficult to snuff. Since I can't get a good pinch with my fingers, I try with a snuff spoon. But still all I get are bulky clumps that barely fit in the spoon, difficult to snuff, and instead the clumps break when I quickly press against my nose to avoid spillage, and thus I still spill dark-black staining tobacco all around me (sometimes even on my clothes which pisses me off). My hands and face also get covered in black stains. I have to snort pretty hard in order to get the clumps to actually get into my nose rather than all over my white shirt. In addition, it may just be my imagination, but the snuff seems to smell a little different too, pleasant, but not the amazing experience I had with the 6g sample. Finally, when I use Kailash, I often start feeling myself get a little sick, I'll get a headache and feel clogged and weird. It can't be the nicotine, I have a pretty high tolerance and use lots of high-nic snuffs.

Does anyone know why I might be having this different experience with the 45g tin of Kailash versus the 6g bag sample I had enjoyed so much before? Any recommendations on how to make the clumpy dark black stuff more usable so I can actually enjoy sniffing a gentle powdery pinch in each nostril rather than having to violently snort clumps that will usually end up breaking apart in a mess all over the place instead? :/

Comments

• my Kailash is clumpy, but not so clumpy that I have the problems you describe. could be a bad tin maybe? some moisture got in that shouldn't have? I'd be tempted to air it out and see if that helps, or try ordering another tin, maybe of a different size
  • Kailash does clump up in a tin, I think a combination of how it is moistened and the fact that its far more compressed than it is in a packet. Ive bought loads of Kailash in all different tins and its all been the same, very compact and clumpy. I decant a days worth into my box and give it a good shake and that sorts it out. The best way Ive found to take it is with the tip of my little finger, one nostril at a time, although most of the time I just pinch and ignore the mess. As for the sickness, how often are you snuffing it? Indian snuffs tend to be fairly strong but in a different way to European or American snuffs, and if you're using it as an all-dayer it may just be a lack of tolerance to Indian snuffs in particular? I'd stick with it and build up, I now use Kailash as my all day primary snuff, so a pinch every 20 mins or so and I had to build up to that.
  • I say sift it threw a screen; like a tea strainer to fluff it up. and decant it into a glass jar. usually there is a date on these tins . as for the illness try ginger ale or a hot cup of black coffee, before, during or after. before is best
    It's not the having, it's the getting. Elizabeth Taylor

• Kailash is awesome, enough said
  • I think that Kailash is pressure packed (or vacuum packed.)
  • I agree with everything said above. It is very tightly packed in the tin. I put it straight into a glass jar and stir it up a bit with a snuff spoon and give it a few shakes before I open it up.
  • I enjoy as part of the snuff taking the ritual of scraping using a snuff spoon to loosen an amount from the tight pack block, chopping it up before snuffing. All part of the fun.
  • I enjoy as part of the snuff taking the ritual of scraping using a snuff spoon to loosen an amount from the tight pack block, chopping it up before snuffing. All part of the fun.
    That's one of the joys of Abraxas snuff
  • I've also found the Indian snuffs to be a little more messy/clumpy, and only use them occasionally now as I'm often not in the mood for the extra hassle and mess, preferring a quick clean pinch and sniff instead. I agree that they tend to be more densely packed and need fluffing up, and I will occasionally treat myself to a little Kailash or Dholakia Black (they really are lovely snuffs with a little preparation) .... but most of the time I simply can't be bothered. I tend to break them out when I know I have a long relaxing evening ahead of me. It's almost the snuff equivalent of putting down the cigs and picking up a cigar instead, for me. A "time and place" thing
  • HTXSNUFFHTXSNUFF Member
    edited February 2015 PM
    The kailash is a long term commitment as it lingers for a day, it can be a but much at times, I'll go a little bit further here, I tattoo for a living, Kailash is my go to when I have to work on people who smell, there I said it, it covers anything and for a long time.
  • edited December 2013 PM
    The kailash is a long term commitment as it lingers for a day, it can be a but much at times
    I'm finding that to be true, lol. I love it, but Kailash makes it hard to try other new snuffs. I am really happy that I found one that will last so long.
  • @nietzsche_Keen : Not to worry,It is indeed a 8 g container !
  • I remember my first ever order. 2 or 3 tins of P. Ozona. I couldn't tell from the picture but I had assumed the tin would be about the size of a can of Skoal. When I got the little envelope I was like "WTF!" I couldn't believe how small the tins were! When my first tin lasted me 3 days and I hadn't had a single cig I realized that snuff was a bargain!
  • @nietzsche_Keen : Not to worry,It is indeed a 8 g container !
    Yes, I forgot to report back. I've been using it for a few days and it is STILL more than 8grams.

• I'm still a newb, so my sense of smell is probably not as highly developed as those of you august gentlemen. To me, the small sample packet I got with my last Mr. Snuff order smelled just like an Indian GF I had some years ago. God, I loved the way she smelled! (Excuse me, I must take a cold shower now.)
  • I've also found the Indian snuffs to be a little more messy/clumpy, and only use them occasionally now as I'm often not in the mood for the extra hassle and mess, preferring a quick clean pinch and sniff instead. I agree that they tend to be more densely packed and need fluffing up, and I will occasionally treat myself to a little Kailash or Dholakia Black (they really are lovely snuffs with a little preparation) .... but most of the time I simply can't be bothered. I tend to break them out when I know I have a long relaxing evening ahead of me. It's almost the snuff equivalent of putting down the cigs and picking up a cigar instead, for me. A "time and place" thing
    Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Though for me it doesn't seem to be an Indian snuff problem, it seems to be particularly a 6-Photo problem. I also have some Dholakia snuff that came in tapboxes that seems to be perfectly fine.

And again, to clarify, I LOVE 6-Photo Kailash, I just wish I didn't have these difficulties getting a decent pinch into my nose without a clumb that just breaks and gets all over my clothing.

I'm thinking of investing in a snuff/herb grinder to see if maybe that would help, I think I'm going to start a thread asking for advice about that.

• @DivinusSalviarum Kailash snuff does clump up in the 45 g container.I agree on this.
    Indian snuff market is very competitive and Due to cost cutting the size of the container has been reduced over time.
    I would recommend buying 200 g tins if you are a regular user of Kailash.
  • I decanted my Kailash into a cleaned out Taxi Red container. I lit it sit in their for about 3 months. It's now the consistency of lighter snuffs and can be pinched without dampness packing it into clumps. Still as fresh as ever.
  • I like that the 200 gram tin contents were sealed in plastic. It pretty much filled four 4 oz. Bell jars. At 10 cents a gram, this is the way to buy it.
    Hand-crafted pens and other items--www.craftedinmaine.com
  • lunecatlunecat Member
    edited February 2014 PM
    I like the tightly packed 6P/41P snuff tins. To me I think the tight packing of the snuff will protect it from drying out, with only the top surface exposed when the lid is removed.

I then just scrape & cut with a snuff spoon a small well of loose snuff in the tin & just use the loose snuff I have created in that well. All part of the ritual & fun of taking the snuff!
  • @tobe what a sent sensation ! I like it a lot. If you close your eyes you think you walk on a herbmarket in India. Stay's a long time.
  • TobeTobe Member
    @Marielle32 I sometimes have to chop it up a bit because of how clumpy it is, but it's all worth it! It's one of my absolute favorites! Next order I'm going for a 200g tub of Kailash and Super Kailash.
  • @Tobe I can imagine but my stash will for fill me for a while thanks to you. Do you sniff this as a all day every day snuff ?
  • TobeTobe Member
    No, it's too hard to deal with to be an all day every day snuff. As others mentioned, it can be a bit messy.
  • I love this snuff. I like the little clumps. Nothing else smells like it and it's got a lot of nicotine, and the scent lasts a long time.