Get 10% off all American dry snuffs. Limited time only. Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Get 20% off this exclusive hand crafted snuff. Do not miss out.

Oliver Twist Chewing tobacco, experiences and impressions.

I was considering sometime in the near future trying Oliver Twist Chewing tobacco bits and I was just curious of other Snuffhouse members impressions and experiences with this product. I am mainly curious with how it compares to other forms of oral smokeless tobacco and whether or not it is worth my time and money.

Comments

• They're quite nice but very small and relatively expensive. They have nicotine but if your used to snus or dip/chew then you need quite a few to get a buzz. They are very nicely flavoured though so worth a try.
  • I agree with @BigNose. They are really nice for flavor, but woefully inadequate for nicotine. Unless you have a super low tolerance. Now and then I find the sample packs for > $2 I'll buy a couple packs. I like to have them around for when I need ultimate discreetness.
  • I like them, used to hate them years ago but one day I forgot my snus so the only thing I could get was OT and it was on a day snuff alone wasn't convenient. Now I quite like them and I only get the flavours without any anise in them, also the flavour lasts and lasts and lasts!

As I am a class 1 nicotine fiend I need to use about 4 in one go so a pack doesn't last me very long, however I can buy them here in the UK so I am taking advantage whilst I can before someone tries to ban them.
  • They are small tasty bits, but not very economical, I rather chew long leaf or plug tobacco. Good to add to a chew rotation; I couldn't use exclusively.I like my variety of chew ,snus,ropes ,twists,leaf & plug.
    It's not the having, it's the getting. Elizabeth Taylor

• Good flavour but weak and expensive. If I were to use OT instead of snuff and snus I would need to use so much it would be even more expensive than smoking cigs.
  • Very tasty, very small, quite sweet flavours.

I started off using Oliver Twist, but soon changed to pigtail chewing tobacco as it is better value for money.
  • hate them. They're candy with a little bit of tobacco.
  • I rather enjoy the Tropical and Sunberry flavors. I used to use them at work but then I discovered snuff :)
  • I thank everyone for your input. I guess the biggest underlying theme I detect here so far is that Oliver Twist is certainly a pricy form of tobacco. I do see some differences in opinions about whether or not it is an enjoyable experience. Overall, I appreciate the feedback on this product. If I try it might just get a tin or two.
  • Very tasty, very small, quite sweet flavours.

I started off using Oliver Twist, but soon changed to pigtail chewing tobacco as it is better value for money.
    Never tried pigtail chewing tobacco, but it certainly sounds like an interesting option from my perspective (I am an American). Do you have an brand suggestions for pigtails?

• @peter77 be careful with pigtail, it is very, very, very bitter, the flavours they come in are very subtle is chewed, more noticeable if smoked. Gawith Hoggarth and Samuel Gawith are the ones available here.
  • The black cherry & Toffee retain a level of sweetnes & aren't to my pallet bitter (unlike black pigtail which certainly is)

As Skell says GH & SG are the two types I use.
  • Love Oliver Twist, really easy to take and flavourful.
    Also, I work with customers, don't really have the possibility to use snuff at work and snus or dip isn't really discrete. Oliver Twist is the best way for me to get my tobacco fix without having to go outside and smoke a damn cigarette.
  • @peter77 be careful with pigtail, it is very, very, very bitter, the flavours they come in are very subtle is chewed, more noticeable if smoked. Gawith Hoggarth and Samuel Gawith are the ones available here.
    Thank you for the warning, so guess I am going to have to try smoking and chewing them. Even if I do find chewing pigtails to be too bitter, at least I will have a good smoke. For me I am all about trying as many different types of tobacco as possible so experimenting with pigtails is a must.
  • The black cherry & Toffee retain a level of sweetnes & aren't to my pallet bitter (unlike black pigtail which certainly is)

As Skell says GH & SG are the two types I use.
    Considering the bitter flavor profile of the chew, black cherry and toffee do seem like reasonable suggestions. In terms of the brand I am going to have to select SG, I like their snuffs so to me it seems like the logical choice.

• Considering the bitter flavor profile of the chew, black cherry and toffee do seem like reasonable suggestions. In terms of the brand I am going to have to select SG, I like their snuffs so to me it seems like the logical choice.
    The Manufacturers should maybe use a type of tobacco leaf that has some natural sweetness, such as Bright Leaf Virginia and others to curb the bitterness. Maybe they have a CS suggestion department?

• Considering the bitter flavor profile of the chew, black cherry and toffee do seem like reasonable suggestions. In terms of the brand I am going to have to select SG, I like their snuffs so to me it seems like the logical choice.

The Manufacturers should maybe use a type of tobacco leaf that has some natural sweetness, such as Bright Leaf Virginia and others to curb the bitterness. Maybe they have a CS suggestion department?

I am going to have to look into, that really is an excellent suggestion. If they are receptive to customer input that would be a really pleasant chew.
  • I ran out of Oliver Twist a few weeks back and has I've said earlier, they were the easiest way of getting nic during my work day except for a cigarette break (which I'm trying to eliminate).

I've just received some Piccanell, we'll see how it compares !
  • I ran out of Oliver Twist a few weeks back and has I've said earlier, they were the easiest way of getting nic during my work day except for a cigarette break (which I'm trying to eliminate).

I've just received some Piccanell, we'll see how it compares !
    Sounds great! Let me what you think of the both of these products, perhaps one is more appropriate in one situation than the other, or have different positive attributes. Either way this sounds like an interesting comparison, look forward to it.

• Sounds great! Let me what you think of the both of these products, perhaps one is more appropriate in one situation than the other, or have different positive attributes. Either way this sounds like an interesting comparison, look forward to it.

Here is a quick comparison.
    Keep in mind that I don't have any Oliver Twist around, so some assumptions are based on my memory which is known to be quite bad :p

First of all, the pouch is really small. It looks like a basic RYO pouch on the pictures but when you get your hands on it, it's more of a miniature pouch which is quite practical to carry around in a back pocket for example.

There seems to be more bits in a pouch of Piccanell than in a box of Oliver Twist, even though I didn't count. The bits are a bit bigger but there are also less tightly packed, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually the same amount of tobacco in both brands but packed a different way.

Piccanell bits also have a tendency to unfold (or unroll if you want) but as soon as it's under your lip, that's no issue.

As for the taste, I find it to be a bit more bitter than Oliver Twist (any of them). The flavor is also less intense and you really need to chew it once in a while to get it going.

The nic "hit" is on par with Oliver Twist. While using I'm not craving for any other form of tobacco but that doesn't stop me from wanting a cigarette or a pinch after a little bit. But I guess that's entirely personal and it depends on your nicotine tolerance amongst other things.

To resume, it works just as well as Oliver Twist and do provide more "bang for the buck", but I personally prefer OT. I'll see what I'll pick during my next order, as both seem to be the best way to get a discreet intake of nic during the day (even though there are pricier than almost anything else).
  • Yeah, I had a period of experimenting with OT as a young teen... I didn't experience them as expensive, but they weren't really satisfying. Proper pigtail however, will have you leaned back like a junky on his ultimate fix...

@Enhor , are you able to enjoy OT at work without the tobacco juice/spit bothering you? Can you swallow that stuff? It's pretty harsh though, right? I can't remember ever doing OT indoors without the ability of spitting.
  • @Mario84 The juice produced by OT and Piccanell is small to non-existent and I haven't had any issue swallowing it. And that's coming from a guy who is kind of new to oral tobacco, can't gut dip and chew and sometimes get a bit sick from snus... :))

So yeah, not my favorite thing in the world but it's the only thing practical for me to use at work.
  • Nice. I'll keep that in mind for whatever situation sniffing tobacco doesn't fit.
    Yeah gutting proper chew is definitely some next level stuff... lol
  • I really like OT, i would like to try the Wintergreen but i understand that it is only on the US market. The got a new on in Europe called BLACK. It is licorice taste and i am looking forward to taste it. I love licorice. :D
  • Waste of time. Get snus.
  • @SnuffySnuff Already a fan of snus, I am using some Thunder frosted at this very moment. OT being low in nicotine and high in price seems to be a common theme amount the other posters on this thread. Other than the high cost to low nicotine ratio, is the flavor actually any good or is it disgustingly sweet?
  • snuffvilliansnuffvillian Member
    edited March 2014 PM
    I´ve tried OT Original and it has a little sweetness and some licorice taste, but tobacco flavour predominates.

It´s not sweet as a candy, although you enjoy it as it was. Its taste reminds me of american chew tobacco (MAIL POUCH), but smoother, and of those small black licorice pills I bought in a pharmacy.

Another thing is that I doesn´t produce enough juices to spit (as you put under your lip and don´t have to be chewing), and I can swallow the little it produces with no problem (it has a mild sweet spicy tobacco flavour, piquant) but the most important thing is that it doesn´t produce even minimal stomach hassle, as some other oral tobacco products do. I was afraid of gutting, but after doing it, no gastric issues have appeared.

It gives me no "nic buzz" but, hey, it keeps me alert and lasts an hour. It´s not bad for a small tobacco "candy". It´s worth a try at least once.

• What to want more when you have Oden's Extreme on the Chessboard
  • Considered ordering some. Little worried about the nic content.
  • What to want more when you have Oden's Extreme on the Chessboard
    You know, maybe people want "less" then Oden's Extreme or any of this "extreme" snus thing.