The eXitar tobacco vaporizer is a great alternative to smoking. Check it out.Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Six Photo snuffs are back in stock.

Why do you all use snuff?

RogueRogue Member, Administrator
Personally, I dont use snuff for the nicotine, but for the scent. I enjoy the uniqueness of it.
I can take a pinch to postpone a cig though, but I just dont use it for the nic.

Comments

• IggletIgglet Member
    Besides trying to quit smoking I have always liked sticking stuff up my nose. It was only a matter of time till I started shoving tobacco up their too. None of the other stuff was illegal only odd and, I don't do that anymore just, tobacco.
  • It replaces some cigarettes every day for me as an alternate nic delivery system
    It delivers other "stuff" that vaping doesn't
    I really enjoy the scent/flavour of several snuffs
    It's fun to try out new stuff which is similar to what I like
    It's fun to explore the snuffers world and all the other snuff options and all the paraphernalia
    It's quirky
    It's cheap
    It has a lot of history (local history too)
    It helps with hay fever
    It helps with colds
    It helps with fatigue when smoking a cig just seems to make me want to sleep more
    It makes sense for me to use snuff
  • IggletIgglet Member
    Is their any snuffs that help more with hay fever than others @50ft_trad?
  • Everyone's nose is different. I personally can't take dry/fine snuffs. If I want to use a WoS or Toque snuff (other than their coarsely ground offerings), I normally have to have a "base layer" of unscented coarse snuff in the nose to "catch" the finer stuff, otherwise it just hits my throat. As such I can't really comment on what might work for other people. Maybe me using coarse snuffs helps catch pollens etc ... or maybe just the act of using snuff desensitises the nose ... I have no idea :-/
  • Koba22Koba22 Member
    @Igglet I suffer badly from hayfever, always have. My all day, every day snuff is 6P Kailash and I've found that it has lessened my allergies to quite an extent, to the point where my hayfever is now 'normal' as opposed to 'extreme'.
  • NikolaosNikolaos Member
    edited May 2014 PM
    If someone has never been a heavy smoker it is very probably that only snuff can satisfied him very easy. Personally there is NO WAY to feel satisfied only from snuff, and the second for me is that i want totally clog-free nostrils, there is no way to full on my nose just to satisfied my habit NO WAY... As @Rogue say already, "the scent and the uniqueness of snuff" is really enough for a full experience day by day.
  • Its a quirky fun hobby for me :) I did not start as someone who smoked already. I enjoy the flavours and looking forward to what to try next.. Its also pretty cheap. I don't think the nicotine has the same addictiveness as smoking tobacco.
  • n9inchnailsn9inchnails Moderator
    Because I'm just awesome
  • Skell18Skell18 Moderator
    @Igglet@Koba22‌ I agree on the kailash for hayfever as it unblocks you, however I have always found that toasts work very well for a cold or hayfever. For me I find they dry up the snot brilliantly and almost form a protective coating to your nose so the pollen doesn't stick in there. On e the toast has done it's job I usually use moister snuffs which seems to retain a protective layer if tobacco goodness. A tin of snuff lasts a hell of a lot longer than a packet of antihistamines too.
  • Re hay fever, I've always had trouble breathing through my nose - one side or the other always seemed to be blocked, and I'd get nose bleeds where I blew too hard trying to clear it. I've realised now my nose wasn't really blocked at all, but the airways were just narrowed due to allergies.
    When I got back into taking snuff, and getting into it properly (I drifted in and out since a teenager, but must've only got partway through a few tins in all that time, as I'd lose them and forget about the habit) I had no trouble snuffing Wilson's fine grinds, even IHT No.22, but since my sinuses have been cleared out over the last year I often find them difficult to take as it all goes in much easier now! Two years on, no summers of mouth-breathing, and not a single nosebleed since the airways opened up.

I usually take a small pinch of WoS Jockey Club, or more often now a small pinch of 6 Photo Special at bedtime, as both of those give me a restful nights sleep with open, easy breathing. Bloody marvellous after all those years feeling like I was suffocating.

On a side note, don't ever be afraid of Indian snuffs that say 'lightly medicated' if you've had your head blown off by something like Hedges, J&H Wilson's Medicated 99, WoS SM500 and the like, I've found the Indian snuffs to be exactly what they say they are, just a tiny hint of menthol that sits in the lower part of the nose instead of hitting the nose bone at the top. Lovely.

As for why I take it, I like the scents, and the adventure of trying them, and occasionally the slight dizziness that a big belt of something like SG Black Coffee will bring. That's my fave for the 'hit'.
  • I suppose just because I like it. Because I can. Because it gives me something to do while avoiding things I don't want to do like chores.
  • R25R25 Member
    Because I can, I like the smell.

After years of strong cigars and pipe tobacco the nicotine in snuff mostly doesn't even register for me so it's mostly the smell.
  • Re hay fever, I've always had trouble breathing through my nose - one side or the other always seemed to be blocked, and I'd get nose bleeds where I blew too hard trying to clear it. I've realised now my nose wasn't really blocked at all, but the airways were just narrowed due to allergies.
    When I got back into taking snuff, and getting into it properly (I drifted in and out since a teenager, but must've only got partway through a few tins in all that time, as I'd lose them and forget about the habit) I had no trouble snuffing Wilson's fine grinds, even IHT No.22, but since my sinuses have been cleared out over the last year I often find them difficult to take as it all goes in much easier now! Two years on, no summers of mouth-breathing, and not a single nosebleed since the airways opened up.

I usually take a small pinch of WoS Jockey Club, or more often now a small pinch of 6 Photo Special at bedtime, as both of those give me a restful nights sleep with open, easy breathing. Bloody marvellous after all those years feeling like I was suffocating.

On a side note, don't ever be afraid of Indian snuffs that say 'lightly medicated' if you've had your head blown off by something like Hedges, J&H Wilson's Medicated 99, WoS SM500 and the like, I've found the Indian snuffs to be exactly what they say they are, just a tiny hint of menthol that sits in the lower part of the nose instead of hitting the nose bone at the top. Lovely.

As for why I take it, I like the scents, and the adventure of trying them, and occasionally the slight dizziness that a big belt of something like SG Black Coffee will bring. That's my fave for the 'hit'.
    Great post. I have only been taking snuff for a short time but a lot of that rings true.

• umbraumbra Member
    I use snuff because it's the coolest. B-) Seriously though, I think I just dig archaic stuff. I can't time travel cause I broke my flux capacitor, so I just have to do my part to bring it back.
  • PsybinPsybin Member
    I like snuff for most of these reasons but here's mine:

To quit smoking! Others have said they can't replace smoking with snuff but I find it pretty easy to do... IF I have my favorites and/or a strong enough snuff that I can do all day long. I have plenty of snuff left in my stash, just not ones I want to do all the time. Btw, I'm on week three of my snuff order not arriving and I've bought a couple packs since then. ;\ It's been painful checking the mail and not seeing any snuff!! I really miss my Viking Brown and F&T HDT.

It's cheaper.
    I also like the anachronistic quality of it.
    I seem to be into things most people aren't, and this is no exception. ;)
    Trying all the different flavors is a great experience.
    It really does help with colds. The last one I got seemed to go away much faster and with no coughing involved. When I was a regular smoker, the cold would linger and I'd go through days of nasty coughing.
    50ft_trad is right about the fatigue. Especially at work, when I'm falling asleep, a couple sniffs and I'm perked up! I don't miss the tired feeling I get after having a cigarette.
    It's quick. I don't have to hold a cig for five minutes or keep it in my mouth as I'm doing something and smoke keeps rolling into my eyes.
    I'm sure there's more but I'm about to leave work. ;)
  • md363md363 Member
    I got into snuff because I was searching the internet for alternate forms of tobacco besides cigarettes and smoking tobacco. I found snuff and this wonderful forum and jumped right in. I was tired of the fatigue like @50ft_trad mentioned and also the impact on my lungs and the smell of smoking cigarettes. And of course I love the experience of trying all the different varieties of moisture level/scent/grind that snuff offers. The history of snuff also interests me a lot.
  • JustinJustin Moderator
    1. It is a harmless outlet for obsessive tendencies.
    2. It smells good.
    3. It is entertainingly anachronistic.
    4. It allows the user to acquire beautifully patterned handkerchiefs without anyone questioning his sexuality.
    5. It is amusing to offer a snuffbox and see the variety of reactions.
    "Reality," sa molesworth 2, "is so unspeakably sordid it make me shudder."
  • edited May 2014 PM
    6. It's a bit addictive (I think?).
  • *mostly* harmless....?

:-P
  • Because I enjoy it immensely ! :D
  • Because when one uses snuff, no nicotine is wasted burning.
    And it is all delivered almost directly to your brain, giving you a thrill:-)
  • 1. It is a harmless outlet for obsessive tendencies.
    2. It smells good.
    3. It is entertainingly anachronistic.
    4. It allows the user to acquire beautifully patterned handkerchiefs without anyone questioning his sexuality.
    5. It is amusing to offer a snuffbox and see the variety of reactions.
    What he said.
  • I use it to smoke less, the aroma is a bonus. I fell in love with it after my first sniff. I Felt the nicotine again, whereas it had been a long time since I felt the nicotine like that from smoking a cig. Also it's so cheap. It goes nice with e-cigs, have a snuff and smoke an e-cig.
  • once you saw how they make snuff the old fashioned way (possible at the windmills from De Kralingse in Rotterdam) you never will get back to any other form of tobacco use.

I think I'm in love with this stuff.....
  • howdydavehowdydave Member
    edited June 2014 PM
    I use snuff because it is a great decongestant that doesn't interact with other medications.

(The ones I use are anyway!)
  • Mostly because I LIKE it...
  • I'm a nicotine addict and snuff is the safest way to get my fix. I enjoy the variety, the smells and the price. It's the only drug I take and I deserve some pleasure in my life.
  • On a side note, don't ever be afraid of Indian snuffs that say 'lightly medicated' if you've had your head blown off by something like Hedges, J&H Wilson's Medicated 99, WoS SM500 and the like, I've found the Indian snuffs to be exactly what they say they are, just a tiny hint of menthol that sits in the lower part of the nose instead of hitting the nose bone at the top. Lovely.
    @HR_pufnsnuff, I agree. The Indians really know how to use menthol properly. I always thought I hated menthol until I found some Indian snuffs that used it in moderation. The only non-Indian snuff I know that gets it right is Abraxas Firedrac, where it's really quite a subtle note that mixes nicely with the other scents and flavours.

• edited June 2014 PM
    Cause I've now got a ton of it to use up.

I actually think it does somehow medicate me in a mild way and that's what I want. I sleep better and feel generally better mentally and when I cycle I'm somehow both relaxed and more alert and even possibly more energetic when I get going and this seems to have gotten better the longer I have not smoked. I don't have huge high/low nicotine spikes any longer and better enjoy interactions with other people socially.

So definitely a lot of good points and no ashtrays or stale smoke smells etc etc

I think I'm getting to the stage also when I notice that different tobaccos seem to stimulate my brain in different areas but I'm still discovering this.