Tons of specials all the time.Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Odens and Siberia by the roll.

Damsel in distress - OK, not quite but I liked the title.

RoderickRoderick Member
edited June 2008 in General
There is a young lady called Heather on snufftalk wanting some information on snuff tins she has found can anyone help? Here is what she asked.

"I found an old snuff can, it has a lot of rust on it but I can read "Buttercup Sweet Snuff" on the lid. Does anyone have any information on the type of snuff, the manufacturer or the date that it was produced? I have also found a similar can that read "Dental Sweet Snuff" - any information on it would be greatly appreciated."

You can help her at 'snufftalk' or I will forward any info on.

Comments

• Sounds like US snuff, Troutstroker will be the man for this
  • KimKim Member
    edited June 2008 PM
    She might be able to find info here. I started of looking for Sweet Dental Snuff. This guy wrote an article on the snuff and the Manufacture. Producer The American Snuff Company

In 1782, when a former Revolutionary War soldier named John Garrett built a snuff mill on a creek somewhere in Delaware. In 1912. company relocated to Memphis Turning out thousands and thousands of the little metal cans of snuff.
    She can read more here about the Sweet Dental Snuff

Sweet Dental Snuff Article
    I hope this helps a little.
  • TroutstrokerTroutstroker Member
    edited June 2008 PM
    Well Buttercup is still being produced today only now it comes in plastic tubes with plastic lid. Would be hard to date exactly without a label. Or if it had an old tax stamp on it. But most likely its from the 1940s-1950s but could be 100 years old? Really hard to say without a stamp or other written date on it because the same tins are used in production for many years. It was made by the Helme/Railroad Mills Co. but has since been taken over by the Swisher Co. where its still being made today. The Buttercup snuff is flavored with the buttercup flower & sweet clover. The Dental Snuff is still being produced today as well. Dental is made by the Conwood Co. The Dental is considered one of the safest, purest versions of American snuffs with the lowest TSNA levels of any other. The top pic is the older version of buttercup and the second is the newer version in plastic can.

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.