Get 50% off selected Toque snuffs. Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Get 50% off selected Samuel Gawith snuffs.

Wood scent imparting from new wooden snuffboxes into the snuff

I have a new HeartWood box and it seals well and is very nice ( if maybe a little too big ) Aside from the typical moisture vs dry issues, how does one prevent some milder snuffs from taking on the "scent" of the wooden box itself? Do I need to let the box air out for awhile or is there something else that I can do? I put some Sterneckers in there and I could smell the box when snuffing---probably will try plastic as well but wanted to use this guy>>>

Comments

• I seal all my wooden boxes insides and under lid with pipe wax, I use paragon wax. you can use any butcher block wax,bees wax etc. I wouldn't use car wax, floor wax or other toxic compounds like polyurethane.
    My knowledge is worthless if not shared and applied . "Joseph McKenna"  
  • thanks @basement_shaman ! i read your previous post about paragon, sounds interesting and is easy to get for sure.
    i will try this.thanks again for the reply!
  • FWIW,

I paint the inside of my wooden sniff boxes with a mixture of Elmers white glue and water, 3 water to 1 glue. Several coats and let it dry overnight between coats.

Renew the treatment every 10 years or so. Airing the box out for a day or two seems to negate any lingering aroma/tastes.

It's worked well for me since I first tried it about forty years ago with dry snuffs ( American plain Scotch, F&T HDT, etc.)

Regards,
    :)