Get a free 15g tin with every purchase of Sir Walter Scott 50g tinFinest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Get a free 15g tin with every purchase of Sir Walter Scott 50g tin.

Cooking

FilekFilek Member
edited May 2012 in The Pub (Off Topic)
Anyone likes to cook and could give me a recomendation for something easy to make - traditional from your region? I just love to cook and I want to make something special for my girlfriend on friday.

Comments

• n9inchnailsn9inchnails Moderator
    Here's a simple recipe from Canada we call it a poutine.
    Get or make some french fries put shredded mozzarella cheese(or cheese curds) on top then pour hot gravy over it and there you have a poutine.
  • In NJ we refer to those as "Disco Fries".

Ken
  • OK something real simple, alfredo.  This is not far from what you can read in the joy of cooking, but my own take on it.

Alfredo sauce:

1 cup heavy cream
    1 stick of butter
    1 cup parmesan cheese

In a medium to small sauce pan melt the butter in the cream on low-medium heat.  Once melted slowly add parmesan cheese and stir till even and smooth consistency.  Season with garlic salt, oregano, and fresh ground black pepper (IMO black pepper is the key seasoning).

Server over pasta and veggies/meat.

Usual way I server it, over penne rigate with broccoli and shrimp.  I saute the broccoli and shrimp in minced garlic, butter and olive oil, kind of similar to a scampe.  Ask my wife of almost 9 years.  It works like a charm.  Plus all my other impress the ladies dishes are more complicated, that one is brutally simple.

Ken
  • Nothing like making dolmas to show that you care !

It calls for short grain rice , finely minced tomato and onion , sumac , salt and pepper , maybe some fresh finely chopped mint , parmegranite extract ( from mid east stores ) , and enough olive oil. Mix all these in a bowl , get a jar of grape leaves , chop off stems and roll a tablespoon of the mix in each leaf, leaving room fo the rice to expand. Stack them up in a pot , fill with water until it covers the dolmas , add some parmegranite extract into the water , a tad bit of olive oil too. Put a plate on top of the dolmas , and place a heavy weight on it , cook on medium until the water gets less and less. You can try a dolma after abit to see if the rice is cooked .
  • FilekFilek Member
    Thanks guys! Even if I won't make those on friday, I'm sure to make them someday. It's good to try other nations cuisine. For now the most exotic dish I've prepared was a Peruvian tomato soup with eggs and cheese.
  • XanderXander Member
    edited May 2012 PM
    @Filek, do you have access to black eyed peas or lima beans there? I can give you a few traditional recipes.
  • FilekFilek Member
    edited May 2012 PM
    I don't know, but the only thing I do with beans is adding crumbs to them. It's called "szabel" in my region.

• FilekFilek Member
    edited May 2012 PM
    I've decided to make broth tommorow. But not a simple broth - the best one is by adding some lovage leafs - the love herb :)

And for dessert - roasted bananas with honey and roasted apples with castor sugar and vanilla sugar :)

If anyone has the passion to cook, bake, etc. don't mind to post a good idea for something delicious to eat :)
  • AllanHAllanH Member
    I'd go for fish and seafood, when it comes to women. Of course you establish or enforce the fact that you're a fish eater and fish&seafood is delicious, good value, sensual and easy to cook. Go for mussels and monkfish, I'd say. Fishmonger tells you how to cook them.
  • PotPoePotPoe Member
    @AllanH if i'am reading you correctly, thats the most tastefully preverted thing i have ever read.
  • This is a traditional desert named after the city where I live in the northwest of the UK. 110 Gram Plain flour (4 oz) 110 Gram Shredded suet (4 oz). 50 Gram Caster sugar (2 oz) Pinch Salt. 110 ram Fresh breadcrumbs (4 oz) l 110 Gram Blackcurrant jam (4 oz) 6 Tablespoons Milk 1 Teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda ---- blackcurrant sauce ---- 300 ml Cold water (10 fl oz) 4 rouned tbsp Blackcurrant jam. 110 Grams(4oz) sugar
    Method. mix the flour, suet, sugar, salt and breadcrumbs thoroughly in a basin. Make a well in the centre and put in the jam.

Warm the milk and dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in it. Pour this on the top of the jam and mix everything together.

Put in a well-greased mould or basin, cover with buttered paper and steam for three hours. Serve with the jam sauce.

To make the sauce, put all the sauce ingredients into a saucepan and boil rapidly for ten minutes.Pour it round the pudding, through a conical strainer; it should form a clear syrup.

As blackcurrants are just conning into season I thought this would be useful. Chester pudding.
  • FilekFilek Member
    I'm curious, does anyone was trying to make their own beverage? I'm trying to do the traditional drink of the Slavic nations and Balts, called kvass http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvass. Not much popular in Poland nowadays like it is in the Eastern European countries. I've already tried two times, but the fermentaion process wasn't we'll, so all of it landed it the toilet... I do hope that this time I'll get the good proportions.
  • Sounds good, Filek. I would like to try that drink. I've home brewed beer several times, and it usually works out well. I've tried to brew root beer twice, but both times were disasterous (exploding from too much fermentation).
  • edited July 2012 PM
    I am in to teas now, To get the woman going try Damiana tea with some fruit juice for sweetness. Also make a good smoke with the same properties. I had made wines,brandy,and beers. I have no use for intoxicating drink in my life this millennium. But I will make tinctures for use with an eye dropper. Kvass is popular in prison, But they just call it hooch ,Made with bread and raisins in a plastic baggie.
    My knowledge is worthless if not shared and applied . "Joseph McKenna"  
  • FilekFilek Member
    @Xander, you've heard basment_shaman. Do something nasty and go to jail and you''ll have an occasion to try some kvass ;)

I do hope my kvass will be good to drink, so I could move forward and make a home beer or podpiwek (made from ersatz coffee, dried hops, yeast, water and sugar).
  • bobbob Member
    kvass is not quite pruno. I guess not having to hide it in the toilet really helps. Plus having the choice of add ins from multiple sources probably helps too.
  • I looked online there is a nanobrewery out by Pittsburg that makes kvass.
  • FilekFilek Member
    The best kvass, from all that I've tried, is made in Latvia - http://www.kvas.lv/en/products/ilguciema-kvass/ They even have a kvass that tastes like porter lol.

Going back to cooking, tommorow my grandma will teach me how to do mizeria - a cooler soup made from cucumber and cream.
  • Ok... mizeria was very very easy to make. Cut the cucumbers into slices and add a bit of salt. Then add cream and buttermilk. A bit of suger, pepper and dill to the taste. Voila!

• One day of fermentation left. I do hope it will be good... Four bottles of kwas chlebowy (kvass), around 4 liters.

• I used to cook with alcohol. And I Created Drunken Brussels Sprouts. What I would do is cut the bottom of the sprout and stand them up in a 8x8 tray. Drown the sprouts 1/2 inch deep in Yukon Jack liquor, let rest for 4 hours. Steam for 20 minutes and serve warm. Goes good with roasted poultry, baked ham, or broiled fish.
  • My wife is due back from a trip to Sweden this evening. She wouldn't get me snus, but agreed to some of that ultra-stinky canned fish they have there (Surströmming). I'll keep you posted about whether it sets the right mood, so long as it doesn't explode on the way over.
  • What is broiling? We must have a different word for it in England.

Stefan
  • @Walrus broiling is like grilling but the heat comes from above at a high temperature in your oven. You put the entree on the highest rack with the oven door open. Cooking time is very short for a 1 inch thick steak 3 minutes each side this give you meat that is well done on the outside and moist and medium rare in the middle. fish is cooked very fast also less than 2 minutes each side best covered with herbs and lemon or orange slices to preserve moisture and add flavor. Foods with high fat content will ignite. so excess fat should be trimmed before broiling. Not necessary when grilling. When Grilling fish should be rap in aluminum foil to seal in moisture.
  • The fermentation of my kvass went really good. But it's rather a sparkling water with a taste of rasins than a kvass. I'm wondering where did I make the mistake.
  • I realize how old this thread is, but you can't go wrong with chicken fried steak & it's really easy to make the homemade gravy with the grease afterwards.
  • Best date night recipe - String of Black Pearls. Linguine, toss with the best olive oil you can find, topped with caviar. The caviar clings to the pasta like pearls on a string.
  • Back when I was dating, I used to enjoy making either pizza or Jambalaya. In my region (Northwest US) nobody makes either, and those that do make it from a box.

Back when I would make them often, I lived out in the country and had a massive garden. So I would take my date and walk through the garden, picking out the ingredients I would need. Then I would sit them down and prepare the food as we talked, and we would talk over wine while it cooked.

It made for some great evenings, and I even married a woman who loved me for my cooking, and not just my mind. ;)
  • Pan fried eggplant in Garlic infused oil. seasoned with 5 chinese herb, Topped with shreaded cheese and tomato sause /served with chilled tomato slices salt, pepper, oregano.
  • Salmon, Fresh lemon juice, pickle juice, parsley.capers.red onion.salt ,black pepper,mayo,mustard,olive oil. on top of butter lettuce with grape tomatoes and green stuffed olives.