Finest Quality Indian Snuffs

Best selection of snuff and snuff related products in the UK.Toque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Worldwide distributor of the finest in snuff, chew, RYO, pipe, accessories and much more.

What is Schmalzler?

Hi! Been taking snuff now for about a year, built up a collection... as we all do... but am confused by talk of Schmalzlers... how do they differ from ordinary snuffs? Anybody link me to an example on one of the sales sites and explain the difference? Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• thorgrimnrthorgrimnr Member
    edited June 2013 PM
    Schmalz as I understand means grease or fat in German. Schmalzlers are a variety of snuffs that have been "greased" or oiled if you will. Most snuffs are usually hydrated with water. As far as I'm aware English snuff manufacturing is supposed to only use water to hydrate their product. German snuff production is allowed to use oil or water. I believe it's paraffin oil they use. It's not allowed in English snuffs because Paraffin oil in the lungs is super bad, but luckily snuffers aim to avoid snuff in the lungs.

As a user experience, you will find Schmalzler's to have a bit of a coarser grind, quite soft and fluffy and usually with thick heavy aromas. Fruit and sweets tend to be popular for aroma. They also may use old world techniques which may add a lot of character to the snuff. I love schmalzlers. Imagine eating a rich chocolate cherry cake with your nose...that's a schmalzler. You can use tons of it too, in fact your nose will demand it. You may find it causes congestion and lot's of runny noses, if your nose reacts to coarse grinds that way.
  • Brilliant, thanks - which one would you recommend to start with?
  • I've only had one and other members here will be better at answering that. I've had and very much like Poschls Sudfrucht ( Tropical Fruit or "South Fruit") A huge punch of banana and other yummy aromas.
  • God, looking at the web it turns out I have Schmaltzers in my collection: these are they aren't they: Bernard Zwiefacher, Bernard Klostermischung and Bernard Jubilaums Snuff?
  • So, next question is HOW can you tell which are and which aren't Schmalters before you buy - they don't all seem to say on the packet?
  • I don't think the ones you have listed are Schmalzlers. Hang on I'll get you a list of ones I can find...
  • from Mr Snuff.

Poschl Schmalzler A Brasil
    Poschl Schmalzler D Doppelaroma ( Double Aroma )
    Poschl Schmalzler Perlereuter
    Poschl Schmalzler SF Sudfrucht

This may be a Schmalzler also.
    Bernard Brasil Doppelt Fermentiert

Other member here with more experience could lengthen this list.

There are also halb-schmalzlers which I think are half schmalzler with half regular snuff. But I could be wrong.
  • I believe it's paraffin oil they use. It's not allowed in English snuffs because Paraffin oil in the lungs is super bad, but luckily snuffers aim to avoid snuff in the lungs.
    @thorgrmnr Pretty good except this bit I quoted. British snuffs were not allowed oil to moisten snuff because it spoils. Rancid oil in snuff can be toxic. This law was before paraffin or food grade mineral oils existed. However, according to Roderick this law no longer exists.
    German schmalzlers were traditionally greased with pig lard or butterschmaltz which is like clarified butter. German law now forbids this (spoilage again) so parafffin is substituted in all commercial schmalzler.

However, that's only part of the story, @guinessandsnuff, traditionally they use Brazilian tobacco but the real difference is in they way they are made. A good place to start reading on this is here:
    http://www.schmalzlerfranzl.de/module.php5?am=17&fid=7&ident=14&mod=vorlagen

As to the snuffs you have yourself, those are halb-schmalzlers, which are schmalzler-snuff hybrids. I'm not sure if the Jubilaums is a halb, as I've not had it, its not a schmalzler though. Bernard has a lot of these types.

As to a complete list of schmalzlers, yes the 4 Pöschl ones thorgrimnr has listed, though I must correct Mr. Snuff's spelling on Perlesreuter.

From Sternecker: Fresko, Echt Fresko, and Straubinger.

From Bernard: Aecht Altbayerischer, Brasil Doppelt Fermentiert, Brasil Feinst, Brasil Fresco, Magic Moments Black, Postillion, Regensburger Pris, Weihnachtspris. These last four from Bernard, all new in the last couple of years, I can't personally vouch for, but from what I have read they are more flavorful than traditional schmalzlers. Bernard has been busy lately It seems experimenting with new ideas and flavor combinations to augment the tradtional schmalzler line-up they have had. They've also put out several new (or revived) snuffs in this time which is fabulous for a company that we all thought was doomed about four years ago.
  • not allowed oil to moisten snuff because it spoils. Rancid oil in snuff can be toxic.
    @Xander - this concerns me, you know anything about poschl snuffs like red bull and gletscher prise, and indian snuffs? i dont want to be using some i have if they could be dangerous, i dont go through snuff that quick.
  • XanderXander Member
    edited June 2013 PM
    @Firestarter0 Don't worry. German law is protecting you. As I said above: "German law now forbids this (spoilage again) so paraffin is substituted in all commercial schmalzler". This applies to all snuffs made in Germany. There is some debate as to whether consuming food grade mineral oil is toxic so if there are any oils you are concerned about do your best not to swallow them.
    A full list of ingredients of all German snuffs is available from the German Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection here: http://service.ble.de/tabakerzeugnisse/index2.php?detail_id=104989&site_key=153&stichw_suche=DUMMY&zeilenzahl_zaehler=59&NextRow=20
    Gletscherprise for example, but others can be found there also.

As for Indian snuffs traditionally used an oil base of ghee, which is also similar to clarified butter. I have no information on their laws or current practices, but I do know that bigger producers such as Dholakia and 6 Photo use mineral oil in lieu of a perishable organic. There may be small producers out there that still use ghee however.
  • Brilliant - thanks so much for the clear information - a new order is being prepared as I type!! Very eager to try these - as the 'half' types I have are lovely, so can't wait for the full experience. :0)
  • horus92horus92 Member
    edited June 2013 PM
    @Xander that's somewhat worrying to me, I often experience drip with schmalzers and oiled Indian snuffs and just swallow it rather than hocking up loogies. But then again if mineral oils caused cancer you'd think that would've shown up in the Poschl study.
  • I don't think its cancer, but maybe GI problems. Look up what eating vaseline will do to you and you'll have your answer.
  • horus92horus92 Member
    edited July 2013 PM
    Yeah it's not cancer, apparently they used to think it caused cancer because of studies in mice but they weren't using refined mineral oil.

I am a little concerned that the oil in India might not be as highly purified/strictly regulated as the oils in the west, though. But I have no idea.

Mineral oil is a byproduct of petroleum refining and if it's not highly purified it contains carcinogens.

Edit: Think I'm just being a worrywart, 6 Photo uses food grade paraffin oil and I'd assume Dholakia does as well.
  • Very interesting thread as I pack my nose with Doppelaroma! I too, have wondered about the types of oils used in various snuffs. Thanks Xander for the detailed discussion with links above. You are a resource many of us(well, me for sure) look to for your excellent research, advice, and of course, reviews of snuff. There is a paucity of information on the web, and much of it redundant or not very useful. Your comments are always the most in depth and informative, even if I don't always agree with your reviews. Anyway, about the schmalz, if parrafin oils is what I think it is, its the same stuff modern candles are made from, but in a liquified state. I'm looking at a tin of 6 photo Motia as I write this, and paraffin oil is listed as an ingredient. I don't know if it is a carcinogen, that fact never deterred me from my many decades of cigarette and cigar smoking. Even now, as a confirmed snuff taker, it doesn't worry me, perhaps it should. I have lived a relatively long life, so I figure something, someday will do me in. Horus...I agree w/ you that in India things are not very well regulated. I don't care about the ISO registration on some of 6 photo snuff. I think India is probably very corrupt on a governmental level. Just remember the Bopahl(sp?) incident from about 20 years ago..and their population is over a billion and they use snuff as a "dentifrice". I still love their snuff, no matter. However, I'd never use it brush my teeth. The fact that it is sold in India as something to clean your teeth with speaks volumes about their society. Not to "dis" them, but they are primarily an agrarian society, where most of the population is only semi literate. I think Vikas G. mentioned this when someone here asked why the name "6photo, "5 photo",etc were used. His reply was that many people can't read... Well, sorry to go on a rant here. Chastise me if you must, but I had to weigh in. I love my German snuff and my Indian snuff. The benefits far outweigh the risks in my opinion. I think I'll have another giant pinch or 3 of doppelaroma right now!
  • eblipeblip Member
    edited June 29 PM
    think ill stay away from the schmazlers   ..dont trust indian food agencies south african too....Im sure they make a potent product which i will love, but not prepared to bleed my lungs out or burn them..a tiny bit of snuff goes in my lungs even when im being careful,...im sure of it.
    think ill stick to british snuffs for now, just for safety, if i need a bigger hit, ill just take more.

• @eblip why not try schmalzlers? Is it because one of the commentators said mineral oil could contain carcinogens if not highly purified? I personally am very skeptical that mineral oil used in snuff could be dangerous. The mineral oil I have used is not just food-grade, it is pharmaceutical-grade, and it is very inexpensive. Why would a reputable snuff maker choose to use anything of lower quality?