Best Service - Great Selection - Always Low Prices
Finest Quality Indian Snuffs

Sir Walter Scott snuffs back in stockSnuv: Herbal Range

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Sir Walter Scott back in stock

New flavours from WoS

I have just spotted on snuffstore.de few new (atleast for me) flavours listed as follows.
WoS Confusion floral snuff as it looks by notes in german description flavoured by Lilly of the Valley
WoS Ginger
WoS SP No 1 Bottom Mill
WoS Violet

All of those available at web shop above in 5g tin and or 1/2 lb, 1 lb drum with 8 week delivery time.

Jack

Comments

• Haha, does "Bottom Mill" have any specific meaning, or is it just a play on JHW's "Top Mill No 1"?
  • 50ft_trad50ft_trad Member
    edited July 2016 PM
    @SHbickel When the Wilsons family split, Wilson's of Sharrow stopped in what became known as the bottom mill, and JH Wilson set up their mill at the top of Sharrow Vale Road, and it became known as the top mill. The top mill is now kaput, and seems to have been leased off as offices and small workshops or suchlike, but the bottom mill is still there and functioning. You could easilly see one mill from the other (though there are some flats/apartments in the way now), and they're very close as the crow flies. It looks like there was at one stage a passage from the Sharrow Mill (sited on Snuff Mill Lane) onto a narrow passageway which leads to Sharrow Vale Road, but that's shut off now, so it's quite a hike to get from one site to the other.

Yes, I'm from Sheffield.

So Top Mill refers to JHW (and SG's Top Mill is just a homage, not any reference to a different milling process), and Bottom Mill refers to WoS. This "new" SP1, must refer to one of their earliest recipes I'm guessing.
  • 50ft_trad50ft_trad Member
    edited July 2016 PM
    In fact I wonder if the SP1 Top Mill and SP 1 Bottom Mill are essentially the same thing, with the Top/Bottom just being a reference to the mill it was for. If it's anything like the cutlery trade, companies used to do a lot of work for each other to balance out supply and demand. Remember too, that JHW's production has not long since moved back to the UK, I think they were in South Africa for a while, so the Top Mill reference has lost it's original meaning, and may not be made exactly as it was before
  • You sir, have a lot of interesting information. @50ft_trad
  • Thanks @Codyg140 I think I've just told you most of it :))
  • They have the confusion at mr.snuff in 10 gr tins