Best Service - Great Selection - Always Low Prices
Finest Quality Indian Snuffs

American Dry SnuffsSnuv: Herbal Range

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Classic Tin-Same Great Taste

New Snuff Site From Roderick

Just to let everyone know the new artisan snuff . com websites went live this evening.  We are starting with a number of the smaller English brands but hope to get a few of the German artisan snuff makers and any other small producers.

Comments

• What is the site address? I didnt see a link at toquesnuff anywhere
  • artisansnuff.com
  • Send Samuel Gawith (GH) an invitation, @Roderick ;). Britons, unite!
  • I have been trying to make contact with Samuel Gawith But they appear to have been swallowed by Gawith Hoggarth.  I've tried emailing and phoning but nothing. I will keep trying.
  • And don't forget Sir Walter Scott's snuffs!(with reasonable prices and well stored stuff)
  • I have seen a Dark Rappee from Mullins & Westley... Sounds good. I have to try.
  • volungevolunge Member
    edited December 2020 PM
    Uwe, have you tried the new Viking Dark Rappee / WoS Brunswick Black Rappee? These two and the one with M&W label might be the same snuff. For what it's worth, WoS have registered them all with the same code (XO55).
  • @Roderick Have you tried speaking to My Smoking Shop at Preston re Samuel Gawith? He seems to be well connected.
  • volungevolunge Member
    edited December 2020 PM
    Here they are, SG snuffs: +44 1539 720047, enquiries@gawithhoggarth.co.uk 

Also, you can reach out to them folks on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/officialgawithhoggarth/
  • Zebra2374Zebra2374 Member
    edited December 2020 PM
    Please stock the Bernard Schmalzlers.

Edit: scrap that, I now see this is for small producers only,
  • I though Bernard were a small producer?
  • volungevolunge Member
    edited December 2020 PM
    Does it really matters? They are all not that big (bar Wilsons & Co. (Sharrow) Ltd., Poschl, South African producers and Americans), when it comes to snuff.

Gawith Hoggarth snuffs (=SG) would attract more customers (including me ;) ). I would even include occasional tin of TNT and USA W&H in my orders.

Full WoS range would be loovely, too.
  • If you can manage to acquire any Madras snuffs,you will be the top seller for a lot  of people!
  • Who makes Madras?
  • volungevolunge Member
    edited December 2020 PM
    Quite a few Indian manufacturers. Janta Naswar Factory - indiansnuff@gmail.com, Perumal snuff company enquiry@umbrellasnuff.com . Or start producing your own Toque Brand Madras.
  • Is it really fried in Ghee?
  • volungevolunge Member
    edited December 2020 PM
    Claimed so. Just a tad of ghee or whatever grease they use. I tried NC, NB, SVS, MGM, DS and Umbrella Madras snuffs, they contain about 5-10% ghee. Different akalizers are used for different brands, some brands contain more, some less. Slaked lime, prevalently, but some also contain sodium carbonate, others - ammonium carbonate (combined with slaked lime). Total amount of alkalis in the bill - up to 12% (of which slaked lime 5-6%).

Alternative route might be roasting in oven, pounding or milling with alkalizers and adding melted ghee in the final step. Note, all is done without a single drop of water, as dry as possible. As one source discloses, Madras snuff needs to rest for at least 5 days before consumption.

Strongest available lamina should be used. Some manufacturers use rustica. Smokiness can be achieved with the addition of fire cured leaf.

Size of the particles is pretty fine, 125-100 microns.
  • Janta Naswar Factory - indiansnuff@gmail.com

in my opinion Dragon Madras is the best madras and one of the best & strongest snuffs in general.
  • I tried to sign up for the mailing list but a message came up saying "Please select at least one list" but no lists to select. No big problem but I thought you should know.
  • HloridisonHloridison Member
    edited December 2020 PM
    It would make me really happy to see a website where I can buy some different madras. Totally love all I’ve tried (tps, nc, mgm, dragon) I will always have some.

@ALLex I have the Dragon since 3 days and I can’t stop snuffing it. It went straight in my top 3.
  • @Hloridison yep i agree Dragon madras is a good tobacco!
  • volungevolunge Member
    edited December 2020 PM
    @Hloridison, have you tried Dholakia Sparrow and FUBAR Toasted? You can easily turn them into Madras-type by adding 7% ghee and thoroughly mixing. Both are very nice in their original shape, tho.

A word of warning - it's a lottery with that FUBAR - it's good only fresh. Sparrow is plain, dry and fine as whites, but a tad darker.

FUBAR Snafu plain is another good one for Madras lover. Not a true Madras, but really good, no-nonsense Indian plain snuff. If you like LA Natural, it's more than very likely that you would enjoy FSP.
  • @Volunge thank you for the tips
  • Thrilled to see the bulk bags of F&T! Any plans to include more in bulk, or at least Old Paris?
  • ALLexALLex Member
    edited December 2020 PM
    Janta Dragon Madras and Ntsu Black are two of my favorite snuffs!

These days i can hardly find them in stock and in resonable prices.

@Roderick It would be awesome if you could manage to have them! they are both traditional snuffs. 

By the way i ve ordered a 400g bag of F&T High Dry Toast.

Really like your new site!

F&T snuffs in economy bags is the best thing that happend in 2020 !
  • I just got my first order yesterday. The M&W Black Rappee seems to be the same as Viking Dark Rappee. Very good but still not the same as the highly esteemed SG snuff of the same name. I also got a 50 gram bag of the new Otto Red Rags. One of the best menthol eucalyptus German styles I’ve had. Also, Roderick has the F and Ts in the original style cylindrical tins, which are available nowhere else.
  • @roderick any chance your going to get rosinski snuffs in the new inventory? Ever since covid shipping out of germany has become a gamble and as a result i was informed René has stopped all orders to USA.
  • pantsBootspantsBoots Member
    edited February 8 PM
    @snuffalufagis Interested to know when René made that decision. I placed an order on December 4 that I was told would ship by boat and it has not been updated since leaving Frankfurt on December 5.
  • @pantsboots I was informed Saturday when I inquired about an order from november 13th. I got a full refund withing 12hrs of our exchange. At first I requested it be reshipped air freight at my expense and i was told DHL wasnt shipping packages international via air until further notice. This virus has really throw a wrench into things.