Best Service - Great Selection - Always Low Prices
Finest Quality Indian Snuffs

American Dry SnuffsSnuv: Herbal Range

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Classic Tin-Same Great Taste

Toque Rustica

I've been enjoying the Toque Whiskey & Honey immensely since I bought a tin last week. I am now thinking of buying a bag of Rustica. Is it a good snuff to take on its own as well as blending? Any comments before I make the plunge of buying a 50g bag gratefully accepted.

Comments

• volungevolunge Member
    edited March 1 PM
    Go for it, if you are intending to make your own snuff. It's a raw rustica powder, which comes already finely ground and saves your time. You just need to add some alkalizer and water to make a nice snuff from it.

Taken on its own or blended with other snuffs it doesn't do much. Natural citric acid which this species produces and fine grind gives a nice burn, it has its specific hayish, honeysh, slightly tart and herbaceous scent and sourish taste, that's it. Nicotine is there, but non-alkalized powder delivers only a slight fraction of total amount. Mixed with other plain snuffs (say, toasts), it adds to the flavour, and you might find it enjoyable.

If you are not up to making your own true (=alkalized) snuff, better opt for another bag of Toque USA W&H, for it delivers 99% more nicotine than raw rustica powder.

P. S. I am a big fan of Toque USA W&H myself.
  • HuysmansHuysmans Member
    edited March 1 PM
    @Volunge thank as always for your very helpful and detailed advice. It sounds like I am better off buying a bag of W&H as I am in all honesty looking for something with an extra Nicotine hit and W&H has that together with the ideal grind and aroma.
  • ALLexALLex Member
    If i blend toque rustica with a plain snuff like toque Quit or Toast 
    will the rustica get alkalized from the plain snuffs alkalizers?
  • volungevolunge Member
    @ALLex, yes, but not that much as one would probably expect with most snuffs.

It might sound as a paradox, but there's absolutely no point in mixing raw rustica with anything weaker than strong (unless you are mixing for flavour only). Funnily enough, only strong and extra strong snuffs can be boosted with it. Which already are strong on their own. The most alkaline ones. And contrary to some logic, it works best, blended at a humble 1:3 ratio (one part rustica to three parts really strong snuff). Approximately.

• You're so helpful, @volunge ! Your explanation speaks to my experience and answers questions I didn't know I had.
  • GormurGormur Member
    I take Toque Rustica straight every morning.  It perks me up.  I don't know if I could take it all day because I might start sneezing like crazy.  It's quite potent in nicotine.  I think you'd like it
  • Are there any other Toque snuffs which contain Rustica?
  • volungevolunge Member
    edited March 5 PM
    USA W&H is the only one.

If you are interested in rustica-based snuffs, there quite a few are made by other manufacturers.

The strongest one is Janta Dragon Brand Madras snuff. Sadly, it's been out of stock for a while.

The mildest one is Neffa Ifrikia.

6P LA Natural is medium strength plain rustica snuff. This snuff is a base of their Super Kailash and Mysore Sandalwood. Green Dragon / Begum Green are made from green rustica, a tad stronger than LAN / SK / MS.

Then, there are some SWS snuffs with rustica in the blend - Lundy Foot and St James Parish Blend, to mention but a few. The latter is one of the strongest snuffs on the market, on a par to Toque USA W&H. Some other SWS snuffs with rustica are low-potency (come non-alkalized, like Havana Toast).

Also, Mr Snuff has just launched three new rustica snuffs: Rusty Trombone, Rusty Nail and Iron Throne, they are available on mrsnuff.com store.
  • I mix the toque rustica with white elephant and ntsu black. 1 part of each. It hits me very good. And my tolerance is really high. It also tastes good.
  • Rusty Trombone?! I'm guessing they didn't look that one up in Urban Dictionary before they printed the labels!  :))
  • volungevolunge Member
    edited March 5 PM
    :) I wish I haven't, @SHbickel... But snuff looks fine, the grind is on a coarser side and it's probably oiled, if I get it right from the video posted on Snuff School channel. I naively thought that it stands for an old, hard-bitten conk...

Curious to know, is that connotation well/widely known in English-speaking countries?
  • And the Toque Ambrosia I think,contains some rustica.
  • volungevolunge Member
    edited March 6 PM
    @tobaccobob, I believed it did, too. But it was denied by Roderick.
    edited March 5 PM
    @Volunge I'm British with a very wide vocabulary of those sort of words but I have never heard of a rusty trombone before!

Curious to know the strength of the snuv rusticas and whether they are alkalised as you described earlier.
  • n9inchnailsn9inchnails Moderator
    edited March 5 PM
    @volunge I doubt there is a person in Canada that doesnt know what a "rusty trombone" is :))

Its a very "cable TV friendly" way of saying it and widely used in sitcoms.
  • @volunge Where I live in the Pacific Northwest of the USA, I'd guess most people younger than 40-50 who aren't prudish would understand it as a vulgar term.  It cracks me up.  (Pardon the pun.)  It's a hilarious name for a ridiculous "move" and makes me laugh every time.
  • volungevolunge Member
    Thanks to all for your answers. Boy, do I enjoy learning English here! :)
  • I can't pretend to understand the following article but it has an interesting conclusion on the effectiveness of Rustica as an analgesic and anti-inflammatory remedy.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13880200902896020
  • MrSnuffMrSnuff Administrator
    @Huysmans 

very interesting article. Thanks for that.

• Gonna just take a break from the rest of the forum to concentrate on reading all @volunge ‘s comments for a while.
  • See you in a couple of years!   :))
    edited March 17 PM
    There are very few of my questions that haven't been comprehensively answered by @volunge somewhere in this forum!
  • @Volunge going back a bit in this conversation you mentioned that strong and extra strong Snuffs could be boosted with the addition of 1/3 Rustica. Which Snuffs would you class in this category? Would it work with something like Silky Dark?
  • volungevolunge Member
    edited July 26 PM
    @Huysmans, it would work with Silky, yes. And any other snuff, abundant in alkalis - Indian white snuffs, guls, Madras, stronger SPs (Gold Label and Grand Cairo).

But you can easily turn that raw rustica powder to snuff, following formulas posted on Snuff making 101 thread, and use it as a stand-alone snuff or as a mixer.
    edited July 26 PM
    Thanks @Volunge I followed the instructions and alkalised some of the raw Rustica with Sodium Carbonate and wow it certainly packed a punch. Lots of ammonia and in terms of strength a night and day difference from the raw flour.

I have now tried mixing the raw Rustica with Silky Dark and KB Scented and yes it works really well.
  • I also followed the instructions, 3 days ago, and yes … wow! Very strong indeed! I too will be mixing it with other snuffs for sure