Best Service - Great Selection - Always Low Prices
Finest Quality Indian Snuffs

Sir Walter Scott snuffs back in stockSnuv: Herbal Range

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Sir Walter Scott back in stock

Oldest tobacco related item in your collection

FilekFilek Member
edited May 2012 in General
I'm happy, since yesterday I've recieved an old item, which is even older than the oldest snuff tin in my collection (1924). Here's a facture from an old tobacco factory - C. Grunenberg located in todays Grudziądz and Orneta (Poland). Off course this producer was also making snuff... and was bought later on by Lotzbeck. The facture comes from 1908.

Edit: the picture isn't mine, but it's the same paper.

Comments

• I have one of these.
  • Gimpy1261Gimpy1261 Member
    edited May 2012 PM

This is a rare tobaccoania collectable chrome plated hinged snuff
    box patented in 1888 by G.W. GAIL & AX. TOBACCO WORKS of
    Baltimore,Md. One side of the cover has an impressive huge building
    with the company's name under as an impressed design.The other side has
    well impressed "PRESENTED BY G.W.GAIL & AX. BALTIMORE,MD.(a line)
    SAMPLE THIS PACKAGE NOT FOR SALE REPACKED FROM STAMPED PACKEGE".
    The inside bottom has a pinch shaped opening with "PATENTED JUNE
    5,88".The top inside has a tobacco stained paper lable "EXTRA STRONG
    SCOTCH SNUFF by G.W.Gaff & Ax.Baltimore Md. This 110+ year old
    item is in very fine condition with intact chrome plating,minor
    non-distracting nicks,and no significant dents.This was pleasantly used. 

• @Gimpy1261 : That's really cool. I'd love to have something like that to display beside the big tin of Superior on my snuff shelf.
  • I found it at a yard sale. Lady had no idea what it was, (neither did I) Just knew I wanted it for .50 $. Looked it up on that site I stole the description from above. and said oh my I do think it is worth .50. LOL
  • My oldest box is a solid silver one marked Birmingham 1908, it is in absolute mint condition, you'd think it was made yesterday.

Stefan

• bobbob Member
    My pipe it was made in the 1990s. :) Oh yeah I think I still have a tin for panther cigars that is in terrible shape but slightily older then me.
  • I have a pack of unfiltered Camel smokes, still sealed, from the early 1940's. They have visibly dried out, the pack does not look full, and I've been warned not to smoke them, but they are a cool part of my collection.
  • Mr_OMr_O Member

Probably this tin of Chinese pipe tobacco from the WWII era, it was full and bone dry, bummer is it didn't age well, like some other aromatics.

• @bigmick You've also been warned not to smoke cigarettes made this year. They've been warning all of us for years, really.
  • XanderXander Member
    edited June 2012 PM
    Oh, to stay on topic, I guess mine would be an unopened tin of Starr Scotch with a tax stamp from 1946. That's not too impressive though, as they pop up on ebay from various years and various makers pretty regularly. Still, I quite like this one, since its in very good condition and I have a fondness for Starr.
  • I am lucky enough to have inherited my great grandfathers pipe cabinet with built in pipe holders.  He was a ship's fitter so it's likely that he made it himself.  I got it 2 years ago just after quitting the smokes and taking up pipes (take about luck).  Inside it was also an old wooden snuff box with Laurencekirk hing (unfortunately the wood has split at one end) and a sterling silver pipe wind cover.  All these items would be around the early 1900's.  I am so glad that the only family heirlooms i have are tobacco related.
  • Oh, and some 20 year old Top Mill which was opened a couple of months ago and has aged beautifully.  Sorry my photography is so bad!

• MouseMouse Member
    1938 Comoy billiard
  • FilekFilek Member
    Fantastic items you all have! I don't think you'll go under 1908 like ermtony and Gimpy, since I collect snuff packages/tins and it would be rather hard to find such and find such for a good price of course.

I also collect books about tobacco. For now the oldest is from 1939 (printed one month before the war) -
    Diseases of tobacco. It's in a very good shape, since the paper that was used is first class.
  • It's not snuff related but the oldest tobacco related item in my collection is now this very old (140+ years?) meerschaum pipe bowl that I received today, will be sending it off to be re-stemmed shortly...
  • I have a vintage novelty lighter from 1914. It's a brass lighter in the shape of a book.
    No pic tho
  • FlippinBirdFlippinBird Member
    edited August 2012 PM
    Kaywoodie pipe from the 60s or early 70s. It was my grandfathers pipe that he passed down to me. Smokes amazingly well too.
  • wooden snuff boxes from the 18th century I could be wrong ,Have some old stuff
    My knowledge is worthless if not shared and applied . "Joseph McKenna"  
  • I have an old tin of Hedges L260 showing "made in Birmingham" and without any health warnings. Came in wrapper still full of snuff. Was snuffable, the menthol has faded however.
  • AbraxasAbraxas Member
    edited August 2012 PM
    My favourite is a boxed collection of Smith's snuffs bought in the early 80s from the one and only Vivien Rose. Glass jars, most of them never opened. It's got the Cardinal range and things like 'Town Clerk'. I have some very old snuff but unless it is stored in airtight conditions it degrades in the brand tins, so some are just collector's items, not usable snuff.
  • bobbob Member
    My favourite is a boxed collection of Smith's snuffs bought in the early 80s from the one and only Vivien Rose. Glass jars, most of them never opened. It's got the Cardinal range and things like 'Town Clerk'. I have some very old snuff but unless it is stored in airtight conditions it degrades in the brand tins, so some are just collector's items, not usable snuff.
    I would love to see this. It would be a treat and a half. Plus it would mean I was in England which would be great.
  • Actually, its shown on an old post, one of those 'show your collection' ones. It is nothing much to look at, but has some snuffs that are now gone forever. When you come to England I'll open one of the sealed jars.