Best Service - Great Selection - Always Low Prices
Finest Quality Indian Snuffs

Sir Walter Scott snuffs back in stockSnuv: Herbal Range

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Sir Walter Scott back in stock

Danzig type snuffs

FilekFilek Member
edited August 2012 in Types of Snuff
I'm happy to announce that I've won my first Danzig type snuff - http://allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=2413742301
It's the second snuff of that type in our Polish internet-collections (Mateusz has Danziger Hell from Bernard), since I remember that someone has an old tin of Danziger from the Danzig Tabakmonopol. I also have a suspicion that Gekachelter Virginie Dunkel might also be one of that kind. I do hope that I'll learn more from that Poschl snuff, since my theory is that Danzig snuffs are a smokey ramification of Pariser snuffs, but grinded a different method.

Comments

• I clicked on this thinking it had something to do with the musician Danzig, hehehehehe....

Ken
  • jpsksjpsks Member
    the packaging looks late 60s early 70s to me but i am no expert :) 
  • bobbob Member
    me too.
  • FilekFilek Member
    The only reference I got for a "Danziger Dreistern" is a German magazine "Profile" from the year 1978 - 50 grams for 18 schilling. It also say something about an old Poschl snuff „Bonanza" (10 grams for 18 schilling).

I've written an e-mail to Poschl to let me know when it was in production.
  • Very curious
  • FilekFilek Member
    I was right when I said to the Poles that it was in production from the '60 to '80.
    Poschl answer: 1961-1982.

@jpsks - you're now an official snuff expert ;) My Danziger is from '60-'70, since Poschl changed the name of this snuff to
    "Danziger Goldstern" in the second half of the '70.

Pretty cool!
  • Your package says "Gekachelter" too. Like the "Gekachelter Virginie" made by Bernard.
  • FilekFilek Member
    The "kachel" snuffs are made by using a special kind of mortar and a big stick. But what the term "gekachelter" would mean  for big companies?
  • The "kachel" snuffs are made by using a special kind of mortar and a big stick. But what the term "gekachelter" would mean  for big companies?
    I guess that it refers to the old technique of making this kind of snuff and just remains in the brand name.
  • FilekFilek Member
    That doesn't convince me at all, since the German tobacco industry was and is mostly quite strict when naming the snuffs. The term "gekachelter" or "Danzing" were not used only by only one company, so it's rather obvious it's not about "remembering the old fashion way of making snuff". It would be easier for me to understand what were those snuffs if I had the old Polish book with snuff recipes of Polish Tobacco Monopol (and the factories bought by it from the Russian, Austian and Prussian annexations), but the last time I saw it on the bidding website it cost to much...

Anyways I've e-maild Bernad. I do hope they'll respond.
  • FilekFilek Member
    I've got the reply from Bernard, but they didn't say anything special about the process of making Gekachelter, expect the fact that they use a special type of mill. But they said a cool thing anyways: their schmalzlers are still being made handmade. Pretty cool.
  • bobbob Member
    Thanks Filek.
  • That doesn't convince me at all, since the German tobacco industry was and is mostly quite strict when naming the snuffs. The term "gekachelter" or "Danzing" were not used only by only one company, so it's rather obvious it's not about "remembering the old fashion way of making snuff". It would be easier for me to understand what were those snuffs if I had the old Polish book with snuff recipes of Polish Tobacco Monopol (and the factories bought by it from the Russian, Austian and Prussian annexations), but the last time I saw it on the bidding website it cost to much...

Anyways I've e-maild Bernad. I do hope they'll respond.
    It refers to the process of production. Something they did with the tobacco during the process.
  • I think it might be what Bernard said: the "special type of mill". One of the reviewers on snuffreviews.com (Stumpenrudi) did wrote something like this:

"Xander hoped, that onedays a german-speaker could explain what "gekachelt" means. Now, there I am! It is an old method of grinding snuff, which was used in the former eastern provinces of Germany (West Prussia, Danzig) and in Russia ("Kachlinski" snuff). The tobacco is grinded between two tiles, which are used as "millstones". The result is a "fine-ground" tobacco ("fine-ground" in relation to other traditional German snuffs. "Powdery" snuffs like e.g. Irish Toast is uncommon in Germany). Some 30 - 40 years ago, there where some other brands of "Danzig" style snuff, made by e.g. Pöschl and Lotzbeck. Nowadays, "Gekachelter Virginie" (which is, by the way, one of my favorites) is the only one. Though made in Bavaria, it is a Prussian-style snuff. For me, it is one of the most "nose-friendly" tobaccos I ever tried and I like the smokey, leathery, man-size flavor. Highly recommended!"

That would make a bit of sense. Besides a tiny mistake - not Russia ("Kachlinski" snuff), but Poland ("Kachliński" snuff) - I think he refered to Goldfarb factory.
  • Ah yes. I remember that reply, very informative. I guess I didn't put two and two together. So Gekachelter Virgine is a Danzig style snuff. Great!
  • But as I think the special style of grinding is not enough to be a Danzig type snuff. I think it must the also a certain type of tobacco. We already know that virginia is one of it, but if the second one would be Nicotiana rustica L. that would provide us to the theory that Danzig snuffs were actually the green type snuff. But it also depends on the process of taking care of the tobacco before grinding, etc.
  • Do you really think these are made of rustica? Its a pretty harsh tobacco in my experience.
  • Even with a good preparation of the tobacco? Most of the Kashubian snuffs are made from rustica.