Best Service - Great Selection - Always Low Prices
Finest Quality Indian Snuffs

American Dry SnuffsSnuv: Herbal Range

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Classic Tin-Same Great Taste

What side projects are you working on?

Comments

• Black Walnut spiral spoon, hand carved, not quite finished yet, but a great start. The first one broke, but this one came out much nicer.
  • MouseMouse Member
    edited April 2013 PM
    Oh, that's beautiful, @noworry. What wood are you carving?
  • Oh, that's beautiful, @noworry. What wood are you carving?
    spiral spoon would be Arizona Black Walnut, I also work with Desert Mesquite, Cactus varities and other hardwoods. Made two little double ended spoons from the broken spiral #1. When something breaks, it might not be a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. I admire your skills as well, @Mouse.

• Cool--serpent spoons! I've been cutting dragon bracelets out of silver all day and have been thinking about the symbolism--eden, kundalini, Chinese myth, oroboris, etc.
  • Cholla (CHO_Y_A) cactus skeleton spoons, just started, going to make a bunch!
  • First attempt at container gardening this year. I only have a small back garden and never attempted growing anything before, but I'm being quite ambitious with it (as much for a learning curve as anything else).

Here's what I'm trying for in modest quantities: Sweetcorn, carrots, parsnips, onions, spring onions, cherry tomatoes, plum tomatoes, radishes, broccoli, kale, spinach, sprouts, mini bell peppers, salad leaves, butternut squash, pumpkin, kiwi fruit, cherries, apples, plums, figs, blueberries, a few herbs and a large sunflower. The space I'm trying to grow it all in (that catches enough sun) is only about 2m x 4m, so the butternut squash and pumpkin are a bit of a gamble as they're liable to take over if I'm not careful. I might need to sacrifice one or both before harvest if they get too big, but it will still be a worthwhile experience for me. There is a bit more space I can use, just not with optimum sun and I'll struggle to put my washing out
  • Learning Linux
  • Proxxon micro lathe on the way! soon I'll be turning out some wonderful snuff spoons, pipe stems and other accessories, other idea's?
  • Yo aprendiendo a hablar español, en colegio y durante el verano.
  • Yo aprendiendo a hablar español, en colegio y durante el verano.
    mi español es lo suficientemente bueno para obtener direcciones, o en problemas.
  • MouseMouse Member
    Proxxon micro lathe on the way! soon I'll be turning out some wonderful snuff spoons, pipe stems and other accessories, other idea's?
    @noworry is that the 3x10" DB250? if wood lathes are anything like metal lathes, the cost of accessories quickly exceeds the cost of the machine, :-)
  • Proxxon micro lathe on the way! soon I'll be turning out some wonderful snuff spoons, pipe stems and other accessories, other idea's?

@noworry is that the 3x10" DB250? if wood lathes are anything like metal lathes, the cost of accessories quickly exceeds the cost of the machine, :-)
    That's the one. And right you are @Mouse, the hand tools alone are more than the lathe. Making beautiful art though, priceless. I'll be launching a vendor page this fall, if all goes accordingly.

$-)
  • Dug up the front yard, plan on planting sun flowers and gourds and possibly pop corn
    My knowledge is worthless if not shared and applied . "Joseph McKenna"  
  • XanderXander Member

Here's what I'm trying for in modest quantities: Sweetcorn, carrots, parsnips, onions, spring onions, cherry tomatoes, plum tomatoes, radishes, broccoli, kale, spinach, sprouts, mini bell peppers, salad leaves, butternut squash, pumpkin, kiwi fruit, cherries, apples, plums, figs, blueberries, a few herbs and a large sunflower.
    Kiwis in England? :-O

Yes pumpkin and squash like a lot of spreading out space. You might not have enough room.

• Here's what I'm trying for in modest quantities: Sweetcorn, carrots, parsnips, onions, spring onions, cherry tomatoes, plum tomatoes, radishes, broccoli, kale, spinach, sprouts, mini bell peppers, salad leaves, butternut squash, pumpkin, kiwi fruit, cherries, apples, plums, figs, blueberries, a few herbs and a large sunflower.

Kiwis in England? :-O

Yes pumpkin and squash like a lot of spreading out space. You might not have enough room.
    In the North too :D The Kiwi variety is "Jenny" which is supposedly hardy and self-fertile, though I'll just be happy it it gets established this year, never mind fruits. Hopefully I'll be getting the pumpkin and squash planted out this weekend, so I'll be trying to arrange all the containers to give those two as much of a play area as possible. I've got parangs, machetes and axes if they get out of control :P
  • Serviced my oil burner, new filter,new screen filter,new nozzle . don't matter how careful your are you smell like heating oil.
  • MouseMouse Member
    Planted two apple trees, a Fuji and an Empire.
  • 50ft_trad50ft_trad Member
    edited May 2013 PM
    This weekend I built an arch (for peas to grow one side and raspberries the other), suspended a hanging basket with tomatoes from the centre, and fitted a trellis to the back for the kiwi to spread out on inside. I also planted up my sunflower, pumpkin, peppers, raspberries, tomatoes and strawberries along with a load of companion plants (geraniums and petunias, and sowed some nasturtium). Unfortunately I had to remove my plum tree as bacterial canker had set in, and it made more sense to get rid quick to protect other stuff than try to fight it.

Oh, and I also fitted an outside tap on the house too. Busy weekend!
  • MouseMouse Member
    planted Romano beans, arugula, Japanese cucumbers, and celery, cut a replacement pane of glass, made a few dragon bracelets, and spread lawn fertilizer.
  • Planting today, and then covering with straw to keep the weeds down and the soil from drying out too fast. Made the mistake last year of spreading 50lbs of orchard grass and the bird came and ate it. Yesterday I pull up a large wheel barrel of buttercup weeds still have 5 barrels to go
  • New lathe works great. Cherry, Italian Cypress, African Mahogany and Wenge wood spoons, off to sand and finish.
  • I ordered 5 Physalis (Cape Gooseberry) plants yesterday for growing on my windowsill. Now I'm trying to identify good companion plants for them so the trough planter doesn't look desolate over winter
  • MouseMouse Member
    Planting today, and then covering with straw to keep the weeds down and the soil from drying out too fast. Made the mistake last year of spreading 50lbs of orchard grass and the bird came and ate it. Yesterday I pull up a large wheel barrel of buttercup weeds still have 5 barrels to go
    Have you read Ruth Stout's book "How to Have a Green Thumb Without an Aching Back"? It's a classic. I met her and toured her garden back in the '50s and even as a 8-year-old I was impressed.

• Have you read Ruth Stout's book "How to Have a Green Thumb Without an Aching Back"? It's a classic. I met her and toured her garden back in the '50s and even as a 8-year-old I was impressed.

i can feel another molestation allegation from the past rising here. are you sure there was nothing sinister? plenty of money in it for you if you win the case! no repercussions if you lose it! (you may not get the reference if not from UK).

anyway, im putting together a racing RC truck. surprisingly satisfying (and pricey) to just drive the car im putting together and it work, i cant imagine how good itll feel when i finally get to race it and maybe win with it. sounds like a bit of a sad hobby i guess, but hey, im enjoying it. just received a delivery of heavy duty grease to waterproof bits, some velcro to stick the electronics down rather than using a glued homemade double sided duct tape, and a new spur gear since i trashed the last one (got it too hot because slipper clutch needed pads rejuvenating and tightening- the pinion gear sliced through it like butter).
  • I cut the first healthy batch of asparagus this year. just steamed it and it is great
  • n9inchnailsn9inchnails Moderator
    edited May 2013 PM
    Well this isn't really a side project but.........this is some bullshit!

It was like 20C out all week and as soon as my plum tree flowers it gets balls freezingly cold out, like WTF! If the weather doesn't warm right up soon I ain't getting any plums this year, AGAIN! Mother Nature you've screwed me again
  • MouseMouse Member
    edited May 2013 PM
    Well this isn't really a side project but.........this is some bullshit!

It was like 20C out all week and as soon as my plum tree flowers it gets balls freezingly cold out, like WTF! If the weather doesn't warm right up soon I ain't getting any plums this year, AGAIN! Mother Nature you've screwed me again
    I feel your pain. Apart from a few bumblebees, no pollinators hereabouts; I fear for the humble honey bee.
    You growing Asian or English plums? The latter are self-fertile.... Some growers have resorted to buying pollen and doing the job themselves
  • I'm working on a story that must be told completely in sign language (ASL.)

It's worth 30% of my grade in ASL-1.
  • I'm working on a story that must be told completely in sign language (ASL.)

It's worth 30% of my grade in ASL-1.
    Excellent! I took a BSL (British Sign Language) course many years ago. It was only Stage 1 at evening classes, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Back on the gardening theme, I didn't get much done this weekend due to weather. All I really accomplished was getting my 5 physalis plants potted up and sited on my lounge windowsill, verified I'll not be getting any crops on my fruit trees this year, ordered some books on herbs (culinary, tea making, and medicinal) so I can decide what I want to cultivate, and pondered about (whilst knocking back a few real ales) reshuffling/repotting a few of the plants before they get too large.

It's a bloody steep learning curve this gardening lark :D