Best Service - Great Selection - Always Low Prices
Finest Quality Indian Snuffs

Sir Walter Scott snuffs back in stockSnuv: Herbal Range

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Sir Walter Scott back in stock

Governments banning tobacco production

chrischris Member
edited October 2012 in General
I just discovered this via a user's sig on a pipe forum. It seems that the wonderful politicians around the world are attempting to prevent farmers from growing tobacco. The website below relates to Asia but it would be interesting to know if they attempting to do this globally. If that is the case it is definitely time to start cellaring while we can and growing our own for the long term.

http://protectfarmers.tobaccoleaf.org/home.aspx

Comments

• ..gonna order a train full of snuff..I´m terrified..
  • Well I guess it will take them a few years to implement all of that but it is worrying, What is even more worrying is that I have seen no publicity about this - it all seems to be the work of politicians behind closed doors. I remember that - once upon a time - politicians were supposed to be in public service and worked for the people who elected them. Now it seems to be the other way round.
  • Well I guess it will take them a few years to implement all of that but it is worrying, What is even more worrying is that I have seen no publicity about this - it all seems to be the work of politicians behind closed doors. I remember that - once upon a time - politicians were supposed to be in public service and worked for the people who elected them. Now it seems to be the other way round.
    I am afraid you are right, Chris..Have you ever seen any changes were for improvement..? Nor do I..

• NO - they just seem to feather their own nests and regard us as a bunch of peasants working for them
  • I'm not worried.
  • I'm not worried.
    Lucky you Xander

• Its not luck. Its common sense.
  • RoderickRoderick Member
    edited October 2012 PM
    Don't worry govts have too much invested to let this happen. Besides most Tobacco Companies have contingency plans, we certainly do!
  • Yeah I'am not worried either. They're like a toothless hound.
  • Sorry bad internet connection, I only typed half of that post before i lost my connection.
  • the subsidized medical system here in the US would fail if there was no tobacco, I am just suprised that smokers havent revolted at the insanely high taxes imposed upon cigs
  • People kind of are. Many people order cigarettes from eastern europe or get them sent from states with lower prices.
  • I think the U.S. is learning a hard lesson when it comes to prohibition. You can see it with the cannabis industry. These fabricated wars against inanimate objects proves to be futile. The moral superiority that certain segments of a population impose on others does nothing but divide people and destroy lives. I can't see tobacco ever being banned or regulated more than it already is. This country is bordering on the brink of revolution as it stands and if you need proof of that look outside of the United States. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • People kind of are. Many people order cigarettes from eastern europe or get them sent from states with lower prices.
    I know someone that was doing that and the company got raided and they gave up there customer list and the FBI raided there home and found about 3,000 copied DVD's and gave them the choice of pleading guilty to the movies or the tax evasion.. they of course picked the expensive 158,000$ fine instead of the felony movie copying .. then they just left the copied movies lmfao

• Governments usually seem to like to be 'tough on smoking' without actually banning it, because of the huge revenue it generates. Same with alcohol. The UK govt is trying to set minimum prices for alcohol. This makes it look like they are doing something about 'problem drinking' when all they are doing is ensuring that duty is maintained. Same with 'man made global warming' and 'climate change'. If the government really believed all they spout about that, why are they trying to build a third runway at Heathrow?? So I think tobacco is safe for now, but only until they find ways to make up for the lost revenue that a ban would lead to. At the moment I think governments are playing the long game - a gradual stranglehold on smoking until it phases itself out, while in the meantime creating other bogeymen to tax, like obesity and fatty foods etc.
  • Don't forget the ban on large fountain drinks in the United States , Love my country , Hate my government . And now many state governments are taxing medical marijuana , And are finding how fast it's filling there coffers that Washington state is promoting total legalization with state money . Harm - No Harm who cares ? Tax Revenue
  • I was happy not to be in the know about control issues.The puppet masters are bored, And like to throw wrenches into the machine. Don't worry be happy.
    My knowledge is worthless if not shared and applied . "Joseph McKenna"  
This discussion has been closed.