Yes! Snuv has arrived.
Finest Quality Indian Snuffs

Snuv has arrived. Check it out!Toque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Snuv has arrived!

adding essential oils

is there a preferred way or any way to add essential oils to snuff powder?
thank you

Comments

• I would suggest using them indirectly to scent snuff. As in putting them in the same container without any contact. With this method you will have more control of the resulting strength. To add directly, an atomizer has been mentioned. You could also dilute the oils then evaporate the solution they were in. Dumping them in and then regrinding which should sufficiently homogenize the snuff would be the method of my choice. Be careful, as some essential oils can be harmful also it is very easy to use too much. Enjoy!
  • One interesting method I read about is to throw the snuff in an open container in a pressure-cooker. Mix some essential oils into the water, or even just plants themselves if that's feasible, and cook it up for a few hours. Moistens the snuff and scents it. Seconding what juxtaposer said about some essential oils being harmful, do your research for sure.
  • Dip a cotton swab in oil. place swap in container keep snuff out of contact, cover tightly, snuff will absorb the oil.24hrs remove swab and discard, essential oil has a very fast evaporation rate only fill snuff box with daily doses.
    My knowledge is worthless if not shared and applied . "Joseph McKenna"  
  • thanks to you all. essential oils when ingested is the quickest way to kidney failure. After many years of massive doses of aspirin and ibuprofen think, thanks to your (collective) good advice I will use something more benign like arak or orange or apple.
    One of the few times in my life I will show good sense regarding my physical well being.
    Gratitude (as they said in the TV show Spartacus)
    I have some cooking flavors that are water base. will dip cotton swab and follow the Shaman's advice and all the increments to my knowledge you have been gracious enough to add to.
  • MouseMouse Member
    @asieg33, you live in bergamot (etrog) country...
  • We have a nifty little contraption just arrived in stock. Technically it is a poor man's "cigar humidifier", but I think it would very well as a snuff humidifier and quite possibly as a way to add scent. It is essentially a little metal pill box with a sponge inside, with the lid being more of a mini-grate. You put this along with your snuff in an airtight container and leave it for a period of time (depends what you are trying to achieve but I would imagine several hours to several days).

• @basement_shaman - Trying your method with peppermint oil and some simple tobacco snuff since peppermint helps me with headaches. If I have 8-10 grams of snuff I am trying to scent, how many drops of essential oil would you recommend in the cotton swab? Thanks!
  • @Mouse, Bergamont is not the same as Etrog. Etrog is Citron in english.
  • edited February 2017 PM
    @newbiesnuffer one half should be plenty  .  how do you measure 1/2 easy just mix it with a carrier oil; like Jojoba . You may have to mix a few extra drops to suck it back up into the dropper. I mention Jojoba because it is a stable oil that won't turn rancid.  Using other carrier oils shelf life varies. 

Scenting oils or perfume oils are not the same as essential oil and I caution their use for snuff. They make contain unwanted additives.

If you plan on direct contact dilute at minimum 10:1 just because of skin contact . It may require more than 10:1 for flavor.    Always test diluted oil on skin first for any reaction. Your mucus membranes are more sensitive so test on a small batch then make your adjustments to suit your taste.   

Here is a list stable oils. In case you can't find Jojoba.
    Coconut Oil
    Fractionated Coconut
    High Oleic Sunflower Oil
    Jojoba, Clear
    Jojoba, Natural
    Meadowfoam Seed
    Moringa
    Virgin Coconut Cream Oil
    Watermelon Seed
    My knowledge is worthless if not shared and applied . "Joseph McKenna"  
  • @basement_shaman - I did what you suggested. I took an airtight container and placed 10 grams of Swastik in it in another small container, lid open. Then took some cotton and added 5-8 drops of pure peppermint essential oil and kept it overnight. So no direct contact. Amazing transformation! Swastik now gives a nice mint rush when I take it. I am loving this. :)

In your above post, is there another method you describe for direct contact? I mean, in the above example of Swastik, how would it be different if I were to use a career oil along with the peppermint essential oil? Sorry for the multiple questions.
  • Don't directly add anything to snuff that you wouldn't be prepared to add to food or drink. Also, be aware that culinary additives might not have the same storage life as tobacco, and may affect how long your snuff will keep.
  • volungevolunge Member
    edited October 24 PM
    Assuming you don't have an allergy to a particular essential oil(-s), it (they) can be safely added to the snuff directly, thinned with pure food grade ethanol (95-96 %), or pure. In both cases you need to thorouhly mix it with the snuff. If you add it dissolved in ethanol (one millilitre of 95-96% food grade ethanol is more than enough to dissolve tiny amount needed for scenting 10 grams of snuff), air it out from the snuff before taking a pinch after the mixing is done (leave the snuff in an open bowl for 30 minutes, giving some good stirs).

You might find that some essential oils are too flat/dull to be used on their own - eucalyptus, peppermint, juniper (I wasn't too excited with pure lavender as well), and better flavour can be achieved by blending different essential oils. Or... the addition of menthol! Menthol does wonders, combined with juniper, eucalyptus, peppermint and lavender (those few that I tried).

To mentholate your snuff, you need to dissolve menthol crystals in pure food grade ethanol (95-96 %) (again, one millilitre is enough for dissolving up to 0.5 gram menthol) and mix this solution with snuff. You can add essential oil (-s) in the same solution. Air out the ethanol before taking a pinch.

The amount of some essential oils in % (by weight of total product), used by some snuff manufacturers (max values, as listed in sources; surely, smaller amount can be used):

Eucalyptus oil - 4.5%
    Star anise oil - 1.9%
    Pine oil - 7.4%
    Lavender oil - 1%
    Orange oil - 1%
    Bergamot oil - 1%
    Clove essential oil - 0.5%
    Peppermint essential oil - 0.5%

Essential oils have different density, so universal accurate weight-to-volume conversion is not possible. For flavouring 10 grams of plain snuff with bergamot oil you won't need more than 3-4 drops, which is roughly 0.1 g (1 drop = 25-37.5 mg). Read this: https://formulabotanica.com/never-measure-essential-oils-in-drops/

A rule of thumb when you are measuring by drop (as I actually do), use less, if uncertain.

• volungevolunge Member
    edited November 26 PM
    A word of warning. If you do not have a pipette and are going to add e. oil directly from the bottle (most of them come with a mounted dropper-cap), first dose out one drop of e. oil into empty container, which you will be using for mixing, then add snuff. Most e. oils are relatively thin; I have just accidentally poured 6-7 instead of 1, using mounted dropper-cap, and had to scoop away some snuff with oil excess.