Best Service - Great Selection - Always Low Prices
Finest Quality Indian Snuffs

FUBAR Filter Tabaq has arrived. Check it out!Toque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

New Snuvs: White and Rusty, Try them all!

Which e-reader?

Hey, I've noticed many of you like reading books. I like reading too, but it is too expensive - so I'm about to buy e-reader. My question is - which one should I buy? I think about PocketBook 624, what do you think about it?

Comments

• n9inchnailsn9inchnails Moderator
    edited December 2013 PM
    Get a tablet, they don't cost much more than an e-reader but they can do everything an e-reader does and sooooo much more. I use Aldiko e-reader app on my phone and tablet.
  • First of all, most of the books you would buy on an e-reader are almost as expensive as their physical counterparts, which is wrong for something that has no manufacturing or shipping cost or inventory cost. There are torrents...

However there are numerous free e-books (classics that are out of copyright) and of course lender e-books. That being said if it is just for reading, well the basic kindle paperwhite is probably the best option.

However like others have said a tablet will do so much more, but that basic kindle is great in sunlight and can probably last a week on a single charge.

Ken
  • Good tablet is much more expensive.
  • if you plan on reading a lot and value your eye comfort, or read outside, or even go on long trips, id recommend an e-reader like the kindle range that uses e-ink. otherwise, id suggest a decent tablet if you have the funds.

I am in no way advocating piracy, however there are many ebook sources around the internet for download without purchase, just in case you arent sure wether a book might interest you or not.

Also, there are e-reader programs for computers. that might help a little.
  • I prefer e-readers, because of the e-ink and their weight - they are really light.
  • LordSnuffLordSnuff Member
    edited December 2013 PM
    I have an iPad and a kindle (slightly older eink one with the keyboard) - I rarely ever use the kindle. I tend to use iBooks on the iPad, and sync it with my ebook library. I use Calibre for Mac with De-DRM plugin (for getting kindle books in to calibre and then into iBooks on the iPad - I prefer this app to the iPad Kindle app). That said, if you are *only* reading, and/or want to read outside, an eink reader will be a better option, as iPads are heavier, and are not great outside.
  • I also have an iPad. Aside from the included iBooks (meh) I have the Kindle for iPad app, Overdrive (lets you check e-books out of the library and they self-destruct after a set time period like a due date), and Comic Zeal for, well, comics. New releases are acquired through Overdrive and classics via Kindle for free or as close to it as I can get. Occasionally I will buy a book :) if it is something I really want.
  • May I recommend the Nexus 7, the latest model 2013 has a very high res screen and is perfect for reading. It's what I use. I'm currently reading the Game of Thrones series on it. It's also an excellent tablet and cheap.
    edited December 2013 PM
    I too have a new Nexus 7 and couldn't be happier with it. Ipads (or anything Apple really) are ridiculously overpriced and can't do half of what every other tablet can do. With Apple your paying alot more for alot less, they're a fad people buy Apple because its "cool" they're the Nike shoes of electronics.
  • id like to point out i buy apple because in my experience it works better, feels better, and is more suited to what i do.

anyway, i forgot to mention the e-reader i use on ipad- Marvin. beautiful simple e-reader for me, can adjust fonts, colours, brightness, page 'warmth'. only flaw is it took me a few days to get the hang of using the hidden tap/swipe controls, couldve done with a tutorial, but its easy enough now.

as for the nexus 7- not a bad choice. id recommend it over any other cheap device.
  • LordSnuffLordSnuff Member
    edited December 2013 PM
    I buy Apple because they are excellent quality, well made and last well (for instance I have found Macs to be far better for me than past Dell & Sony computers); you pay more for better quality, whatever you buy from clothes to cars (to snuff :D ), as well as electronics. Apple stuff 'just works' together, they do what I need them to do, and with minimal fuss. At the end of the day you have to balance how much cash you have and what your needs are with a product. I wouldn't buy android phones/tablets, because they won't work with my Macs so well, and I like Apple OS's - which doesn't mean they don't work well for others of course. However, I wouldn't suggest an iPad would be right for someone who just wants to read ebooks; iPads are much more expensive than a basic kindle, and my kindle battery will outlast the iPad by weeks - but I don't use it much because I rely on the iPad for much of my business work, so it's always with me, and so use it for reading too.
    edited December 2013 PM
    Apple computers are one thing but Apple devices are just a rip off. When compared to my friends Ipad (we used them side by side) my Nexus is faster, easier to navigate, better internet connection, faster internet connection(web pages load considerably faster on my Nexus), way better screen resolution and has more functionality yet the ipad was 4 times the price, there's a word for that its called ripoff, you're paying $200 for the actual ipad and $500 for the Apple logo.
  • I like e-readers with e-ink. Some people say, You can do so much more with a tablet! And it's true, but that's the good thing about e-readers with e-ink: they do one thing well. If you really want to sit down and read books for an hour or so, a dedicated e-reader is the way to go for me. I use a Kindle at the moment, but I'd be just as happy with something similar. I do buy books from Amazon, but there is also piles and piles of free stuff out there, a portion of it even legal to download.
  • I would be tempted by the Kindle but I already own a Toshiba Excite 7" tablet and can't justify another dedicated device.
  • cstokes4cstokes4 Member, Moderator
    edited December 2013 PM
    I have a Kindle (the old keyboard version) I've had it 3 years, couldn't be happier. The price on them has gone down drastically. I have read off of both tablets and eReaders, for everyday reading the eReader wins hands down. The only time a tablet is "better" is at night. Trying to read a tablet anywhere but indoors is pointless. The eye strain on a tablet is another con, I can read for hours and hours on the eReader. Plus, I only have to charge my kindle every couple weeks :-bd
  • SnuffySnuffSnuffySnuff Member
    edited December 2013 PM
    I have an iPhone 4, ipad 2 and an ipad 3 and whilst theyre nice enough, i really hate itunes and feel iOS constrains you. Android is far more versatile. I just bought a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 10" tablet, which has incredible specs and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's as close to a full laptop replacement as I've found in tablet form. No lag, great multitasking and multi-windows. It's a truly impressive device. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S4 and it makes my iPhone look like a kid's toy.

My iDevices never get used anymore. I can do so much more with Android.
  • SnuffySnuff, careful- you are running dangerously close to the anti apple brigade that post unrelated comments in threads that happen to mention apple devices, just to put them down. no mention in your post of e-reading, but a good advert for android over IOS.
    I have an iPhone 4, ipad 2 and an ipad 3 and whilst theyre nice enough, i really hate itunes and feel iOS constrains you. Android is far more versatile. I just bought a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 10" tablet, which has incredible specs and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's as close to a full laptop replacement as I've found in tablet form. No lag, great multitasking and multi-windows. It's a truly impressive device. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S4 and it makes my iPhone look like a kid's toy.

My iDevices never get used anymore. I can do so much more with Android.
  • There is one thing apple does do better in the idevices. That is having a realtime kernel for low latency audio. Android still has issues on this front and why I still use an ipad for music applications. No major apple fan here. I mean I run Arch Linux on my workstations and CentOS on my servers.

Ken
  • I have the Nook and really like the paper white screen, very little eye strain and the battery lasts for weeks. I'm pretty sure the Kindle is very similar. I don't see a significant savings in the cost of the books. I can't understand how an e-book can cost as much or more than a paperback, with no manufacturing costs involved, but that's the way it is. The Nook is less flexible for internet download freeby's, I stick pretty much to the Barnes and Noble site. I've used this almost daily for about 3 years no problems with the unit. I also use the Nook ap on my I-Phone for occasional reading but the lighted screen does produce more eye strain. For a little over a hundred dollars it's not a bad deal.
  • I second the NOOK great e ink screen and uses epub format so many free books available. Also because it is epub you are not tied to any one site for book purchases though you are locked out of Amazon.
  • shezzuk1shezzuk1 Member
    edited December 2013 PM
    I have a kobo glo and a nexus 7. I use the kobo mostly for reading as it's light, easy to read in sunlight or dark and is the best imo because it uses epub format and sideloading is supported. I'm posting this message with the nexus in the pub which is ideal ...get both

A good website is mobileread.com The kobos are quite customisable and get regular updates. I'm totally happy with mine and the backlight is great if in poor light and the battery lasts days or weeks if not used all the time.
  • If your looking for just an e-reader I wouldn't even consider one that doesn't use epub. If your on a tight budget the Kobo readers seem the best bang for your buck
  • I always have problems with buying any electrostuff. So, what about Kindle 5? Is it worth its price? Or maybe should I buy something with SD-card slot and more GBs... or maybe different Kindle? Help :O
  • Get one that supports epub format, you can easily find just about any book in epub format for FREE. Kindle doesn't support epub so I can't in good faith recommend them.
  • I've got a Kindle (keyboard vers.) but to be honest I just use the kindle App on my Galaxy S4 now... how many ruddy gadgets can you cart around with you... ;)
  • i crawl humbly into this discussion. i do not want to divert it, but feel compelled to ask a question on my behalf. i'm old and have given up reading books. the large type books at the local library were my last bastion along with the limited titles in the audio section. my only internet connection is with my desktop. i've thought of getting a laptop and can afford one---just didn't see the necessity. so.....what would the best option for me to read books again--with a little mobility to move from arm chair to the bed. pure readability is what i want --not weight or versatility. is a dedicated ebook reader still the best option? ok--you've probably guessed that i'm backward, technologically. i'm embarrassed to admit that a browser zoom is about as advanced as i get.
  • ...just use the Kindle App for Windows. But as others have remarked, the prices for (Kindle) e-books can be a rip-off :(
    Or try this... calibre-ebook.com/
  • are you comfortable downloading ebooks on the desktop then loading them onto an ebook?
    yes, i think i might manage that. readability i.e. large bold type and page size are main considerations. i have some eye problems i won't get into. tks

• Aside from accessibility issues like bogybill's, I still think books are king.

They look good on the wall, are tactile, gain character the more you use them, develop "that smell", can be loaned and borrowed, and can be used far more vigorously in despatching a big spider that startles you, or thrown with more conviction in an arguement :))