Best Service - Great Selection - Always Low Prices
Finest Quality Indian Snuffs

FUBAR Filter Tabaq has arrived. Check it out!Toque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

New Snuvs: White and Rusty, Try them all!

Your neighbourhood

ViertelViertel Member
edited February 2014 in The Pub (Off Topic)
Let's talk about our neighbourhood, about where do we live, share some photos, tell the story, etc...

I live in Bydgoszcz, Poland. It would take too long to tell about my city's history (I've been writing a blog about it for one and half year and I haven't even told 10 percent of it) so I focus only on my district.

Wyżyny. It has a long history too. The very first mention I was able to find about it is Franciszek Mincer's sentence - "Villages near Bydgoszcz, such as Bartodzieje, were completely depopulated after Deluge" (Deluge took place 1655–60). Bartodzieje is the old name for Wyżyny - "bartnik" means "beekeeper". Apparently there was plenty of beekepers then. Actually, there is a story about some weapon called "bart" or something like that that could had been maken here, but I do not know much about it. At the end of the XVIII century Bartodzieje was known as "Lutheran village"

Bartodzieje was divided into Małe Bartodzieje and Duże Bartodzieje. Duże Bartodzieje are located at the north side of the Brda River and it kept its name since then, but Małe Bartodzieje (south side) are known as Wyżyny since 1972.

In 1772 Małe Bartodzieje had became a part of Prussia because of Partitions of Poland. It's name under German control was "Klein Bartelsee". In 1896, Klein-Bartelsee had a population of 1,810 people, while in 1905 lived here already2,017 people. The vast majority (1569) were Protestants. It was the third most populous Bydgoszcz's (actually, Bromberg's - german name for Bydgoszcz) suburb.

Bydgoszcz and surroundings came back to Poland in January 1920. Three months later whole Bartodzieje area was incorporated into the Bydgoszcz (333.33 ha) and it's been a part of city since then.

As I have said before, Małe Bartodzieje are called Wyżyny since 1972. That's the year when new housing estate were began to built. New name - Wyżyny - comes from an escarpment remaining after pravalley of Wisła river (69 meters above sea level, about 30 meters above all the rest of the city).

It is currently inhabited by about thirty thousand people, which makes it the third largest district of Bydgoszcz in terms of population. The original design of urban planning was to build a district inhabitaded by at least fifty thousand people.

Wyżyny has the highest population density in the whole Bydgoszcz - more than 10,000 people per square kilometer. For comparison - the density of population of Gibraltar is 4500 per sq. km London 5200 per sq. km , and Paris, 21 288 per sq. km.

I hope you found interesting this short story about my district. I attach few photos.

Here you can see Wyżyny on googlemaps and visit it thanks to the Street View: http://goo.gl/maps/fuhgI

Comments

• Wow, quite the neighborhood.
  • York, UK- land of the Vikings :P (well, for the UK anyway). im also from (and due to return to) Sheffield- the steel city. i might put together some research on both.
  • R25R25 Member
    edited February 2014 PM
    I live about 10 mins away from where in 1899 Martian cylinders landed and started destroying the country.

TBH they didn't do a very good job as my friends and I have collectively nicknames the town chavistan.

Stuff it no photo.
  • @R25 well your image didnt work :P
    that message given makes me automatically dislike the site its hosted on tbh...
  • I do not know what happened, but photos I attached are gone.

I uploaded them again here: http://pokazywarka.pl/fxpcj8/
  • @R25 well your image didnt work :P
    that message given makes me automatically dislike the site its hosted on tbh...
    Let me try another, and I hope I didn't nuke Viertels photos by accident when posting mine.

• Mario84Mario84 Member
    edited February 2014 PM
    Wow, what an awesome thread! And I love the information and sneak peak into Viertel's world. Very cool! ^^

Ok, so the town I live in is called Odda and it's quite an Odd and eccentric industrial town situated in the end of a branch (off-shoot) from Norway's second longest fjord; the Hardangerfjord. It's surrounded by very steep mountains and going right through the city is one of the main highways connecting the west and east (Bergen and Oslo). The region "Hardanger" is very natural and romantic and appears as a source of inspiration in most of our national romantic cultural works of art. What makes Odda stand out in beautiful Hardanger is it's contrast to these surroundings of mountains and fjords and acres of fruit production - as an old rather run down industry town, with a slight British look with it's old industrial brick buildings. It stands out - and is actually mentioned in the Lonely Planet traveling book series as Norway's ugliest city, understandably so... but the environment is still breathtaking to outsiders.
    I myself love trying to capture this most peculiar contrast with my hobby as a photographer.

It's history is basically from what I recall that the British sometime in the early 19th century discovered the potential for creating electricity from the very intense waterfalls we have around in the area, and using the power generated from that to set up the industry for the production of pesticides and for running a metal smelting works, and also for one facility which produces Zinc. Before that time there were only a few farms here. When the Brits set up their power plant and the industry here, it was like a gold rush with thousands of work opportunities, and we had people rushing and cramming themselves to Odda from all parts of Norway and surrounding Scandinavian countries. Houses hadn't already been built for this amount of workers, so in the early stages of industrial Odda - people lived in caves and in the woods scattered all over the area. It became a melting pot which resulted in a unique dialect which is only found right here. Many people died working here, it was just intense in every way, very much like the gold rush.

I may be off about the time as the early 19th century, for it may be earlier, and it may be that the melting works and Zinc production came later than the original electricity and pesticide plan. But this is the rough outline of our history.
    Everything here was quickly handed over to Norwegians and the Brits are viewed as kick-starters of the industry here, but not as long-time owners. I think they had some deal about the pesticides for a while though, that they would get a share of that.

Anyway, other than that and sharing some photos from around the area I would like to brag about our water here which runs right from the glacier and straight into our faucets... so we are drinking cleaner water than what is being sold for unreasonable amounts of money as bottled water around the world. It's even cleaner than the famous Voss water.

About the pictures: some of them are just random, some taken from my window, there is a view over a famous lake we have here which is being filled by the (naturally) melting glacier and this lake is actually hundreds of meters deep, surprisingly; my house is right by that river you will see in a few of the photos, and then there are a couple of vintage photos of Odda which I have found. I don't know what time they are from anymore.

(I tried to implement the pictures in several different ways, but I don't know how, so here is just a link to the gallery.)

http://postimg.org/gallery/a9koyldq/
  • I live in a Lexus-ghetto/tourist mecca connected to the mainland by two bridges that see 3-hour backups on weekends during the summer. About 1/3 of the houses are second homes, unoccupied for all but 3 months but heated anyway to keep the pipes from freezing in the winter. At least it is quiet and uncrowded most of the year.
  • horus92horus92 Member
    edited February 2014 PM
    Very cool thread. Right now I live in an old african american neighborhood in Charlottesville VA called Fifeville. Most of the houses are very old, mine is from the 1880s. It's on the national register of historic places. Some of the streets look incredible in the summer, I love the spooky sort of vibe the narrow streets get when it's muggy out.

It's more than a bit ghetto but at the same time because it's so near the hospital a lot of younger people connected with that live around here. My street itself is nearly all young couples and lesbians and whatnot that work at the hospital - the sorts of people you see in the first wave of gentrification. A couple of blocks away it gets "worse" but I never feel unsafe even walking around late at night alone.

I really just wish I could find more/better pictures. There are some amazing houses around here, and also some really crappy ones that just look cool (I have a thing for run-down buildings).
  • NikolaosNikolaos Member
    edited February 2014 PM
    THESSALONIKI is the second-largest city in Greece and the capital of the geographic region of Greek Macedonia, the administrative region of Central Macedonia and the Decentralized Administration of Macedonia and Thrace. Its honorific title is co-capital, and stands as a reference to its historical status as the co-reigning city of the Eastern Roman (Byzantine) Empire, alongside Constantinople.

Thessaloniki today has a population of 322,240, while the Thessaloniki Urban Area (the contiguous built up area forming the "City of Thessaloniki") has a population of 790,824 making it the fifth largest and most populated city in the Balkans and the second most populated city that is not a capital, after Istanbul. Furthermore, the Thessaloniki Metropolitan Area extends over an area of 1,455.62 km2 (562.02 sq mi) and its population in 2011 reached a total of 1,104,460 inhabitants.

Founded in 315 BC by Cassander of Macedon, Thessaloniki's history spans some 2,300 years. An important metropolis by the Roman period, Thessaloniki was the second largest and wealthiest city of the Byzantine Empire. Thessaloniki is home to numerous notable Byzantine monuments, including the Paleochristian and Byzantine monuments of Thessaloniki, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, as well as several Roman, Ottoman and Sephardic Jewish structures. The city's main university, Aristotle University, is the largest in Greece and the Balkans.

In 2014 Thessaloniki will be the European Youth Capital
  • Right bang in the middle of central Jakarta, a city with about 20 million people, depending on where you draw the lines. There are a lot of industrial satellite cities around it and they all run into each other, so you can't really tell when one city stops and another one starts. It's a lot of people, but when you look at a map, it's not so big compared to an Australian city with quarter of the people. So, lots of traffic jams. People can hardly talk about anything except the traffic, it can take 2 or 3 hours by car from the 'burbs to town. So, I'm lucky to have a place right in town. Rented, of course, a steal, a flat in the worst building in a very flashy neighbourhood, only a couple of hundred meters from where Soeharto, the old President, used to live and pretty near all the ambassadors' residences. Most of the people in this town are newcomers from the provinces, pouring in looking for jobs. There's about 100,000 expatriates, most of them live down south in an expat ghetto. I occasionally make it down there on the weekend for some food and a drink, but I wouldn't want to live there, too far from town. The city is heavily polluted, it floods periodically, and it costs about five times the price that it would to live in the provinces. I wouldn't live anywhere else in this country.
  • mjohnsmjohns Member
    edited March 2014 PM
    I live in the same area my family did when they migrated from Ireland. The Tennessee side of the Appalachias. Could post pictures, but there's nothing to see but hills and trees.
  • Picture taken yesterday at Cyclades (Greek island group in the Aegean Sea)

• bobbob Member
    my kitty seems to be from your neighborhood @Nikolaos as he's an Aegean. Wonderfull cat breed for sure.